Retired #49: Matt Dea - calls it a day, retiring at season's end - 2/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
329730-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ess...n/news-story/78c5c3f535e015c3d9eda79e1ab92086

ESSENDON has bolstered its defensive stocks with the signature of delisted Richmond stopper Matt Dea as a top-up player for season 2016.

Foxsports.com.au understands Dea, who was delisted from Richmond in October, will join Geelong premiership hero James Kelly and former Docker Ryan Crowley at the club.

The 186cm defender played 31 games at the Tigers and he was cut despite claiming its VFL best and fairest award in 2015.

Dea is seen as a likely replacement for rebounding defender Michael Hibberd, one of 12 Bombers banned for the 2016 season after last week’s Court of Arbitration for Sport’s guilty verdict.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite frankly this disappoints me. I don't rate Dea one bit and there were far better options available. Oh well, hope he proves me wrong but I doubt it.

Better call Dodoro up and tell him how to do his job properly.
Sorry, not allowed to disagree with anything the club does? What a ******* stupid post.

Sorry, not allowed to disagree with anything the club does? What a ******* stupid post.
Who are these far better players that are available?

Who are these far better players that are available?
From the top-up thread:
That I'd prefer to Dea? Plenty of state league mids and HB's, like Coghlan, Polkinghorne, Rippon, Pendlebury, Mirra, Uysal, Hanson, without mentioning the other players in that tweet. All of whom significantly outperformed him last year in the same competition. I'd also love to get a few KPP's too like Lisle, Wilson, Faulks, Meese or Jamar.
The tweet included Simpkin, Mitch Golby and Zac O'Brien.

Quite frankly this disappoints me. I don't rate Dea one bit and there were far better options available. Oh well, hope he proves me wrong but I doubt it.
Given the possie, I would've thought it's more of a VFL pickup than anything else. Some of the 10 will have to be.

From the top-up thread:

The tweet included Simpkin, Mitch Golby and Zac O'Brien.
I'll be stunned if we don't pick both Cogs and Polkinghorn.

After that though we need to grab talls.

I don't watch nearly as much VFL as you so was generally interested in your opinions cheers.

Given the possie, I would've thought it's more of a VFL pickup than anything else. Some of the 10 will have to be.
Even then there are plenty of other VFL players that would be better, especially Pendlebury, Golby and Mirra in a similar position.
I'll be stunned if we don't pick both Cogs and Polkinghorn.

After that though we need to grab talls.

I don't watch nearly as much VFL as you so was generally interested in your opinions cheers.
Right now I'm hoping Cogs, Polks, Rippon (NB), Lisle (PM), Jamar and Wilson (WT)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or you could just be grateful that someone wants to walk into the shitstorm currently brewing and help out the club in its time in need.
Look, I said he proves me wrong but I still feel that there were much better options available. That's not allowed though, is it?

That's fine. A little less of the '******* stupid post' kind of stuff would be good though.
Only did that when he basically told me I couldn't disagree with the club's decision.

Dea started to transform himself into a solid and consistent player last year in the VFL (hence the best and fairest), so I think this is a better get than what a lot of you guys think. I was disappointed that he didn't get a run much in our AFL side last year.

Wouldn't mind him smashing it next year for you guys. Ok, he may not smash it, but hopefully he goes alright for you guys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back