Retired #49: Matt Dea - calls it a day, retiring at season's end - 2/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Starting to like this inclusion more and more, attacks the ball in the air, plays the interceptor role well enough and will make his direct opponent accountable...plus he hits targets with that attacking left foot...think we are going with speed out of the back line...pressure on the mids so the delivery to joe the goose and the other Adelaide fowards isn't lace out.

Him and Ambrose to put some hurt on.
Neither are flashy players but both will run through somebody if need be.

One thing Tex likes to do is throw his weight around early. Wouldn't be shocked if he has a crack at McGrath.

With Ambrose, Hurley and Dea around we should at least be able to match them physically.

Does anyone not like Matt Dea?

By 'not like' I mean - does anyone doesn't think he gives his all, plays his role, never shirks a contest, and will give you a reliable outcome?

Still a Tigers favorite.
Nah, I used to question him but he's decent depth. Simply gives away too much height/weight is his issue

Does anyone not like Matt Dea?

By 'not like' I mean - does anyone doesn't think he gives his all, plays his role, never shirks a contest, and will give you a reliable outcome?

Still a Tigers favorite.

We love him, as he served us really well in 2016 which was a pretty dark year. With the emergence of Ambrose and the others coming back he's not best 22 now (OR IS HE????)

Yep - he probably slipped a bit far down our list of 'medium defenders' to get more than a handful of games. We have 3 or 4 in that group running around in the twos (as do all clubs) who are all rated just a bit higher. It's a c ase of the depth you have in a particular area.

Now, if you have anyone surplus to requirements over 6', who can play in the forward line and occasionally take a mark inside 50 - we'll take him. Preferably not made of glass, like ours are............

Yep - he probably slipped a bit far down our list of 'medium defenders' to get more than a handful of games. We have 3 or 4 in that group running around in the twos (as do all clubs) who are all rated just a bit higher. It's a c ase of the depth you have in a particular area.

Now, if you have anyone surplus to requirements over 6', who can play in the forward line and occasionally take a mark inside 50 - we'll take him. Preferably not made of glass, like ours are............
You can have Shaun McKernan he's tall, Can take the 'occasional' mark forward, not injury prone and can relief ruck.

He's not a star but he is a solid footballer who can play a role. He was great for us last year and is good depth now.

A really good guy too. The sort you want to do well because it's nice to see the good guys do well. Others will attest as well, but at the sponsor night he came across really well.

Its interesting because even though his name as an In doesn't seem that exciting he actually played a pretty good game in his last outing and I think it surprised everyone when he got dropped. I think Gleeson was recalled off fairly indifferent form (which turned out to be a good decision) but Dea hadn't done a lot wrong when he lost his spot.

I can understand that perhaps its hard to play both Ambrose and Hartley together as they both lean to the shutdown side of defenders. Probably why Brown was getting a gig ahead of Hartley earlier as more of an intercept marker (plus Hartley's early form).
We have clearly got rebounding as high on our priority list for defenders - with perhaps only 1 spot each for mostly negating players tall and small eg Ambrose and Baguley or similar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was ok.

Had a few times when he simply rush kicked on his boot that did not really help but held his own in a defense that was under siege due to a leaking midfield.

Gonna be a long year for Matt. Barring some incredible transformation might not see too much AFL in 2018.

If Matt had anything needed resembling common sense he’d have known that as of about 8 months ago

Might be a tad controversial, but reckon he could be a round 1 starter. Adelaide seem to want to back the Jenkins/Walker/McGovern/Lynch combo and I feel that he'd be the second best match up for Lynch behind Ambrose, who probably takes Walker.

Dea-Lynch
Hurley-Jenkins
Hartley-McGovern (best CM of the four)
Ambrose-Tex

Might be a tad controversial, but reckon he could be a round 1 starter. Adelaide seem to want to back the Jenkins/Walker/McGovern/Lynch combo and I feel that he'd be the second best match up for Lynch behind Ambrose, who probably takes Walker.

Dea-Lynch
Hurley-Jenkins
Hartley-McGovern (best CM of the four)
Ambrose-Tex

No Gleeson? Match ups - I get it.

I would prefer:

Hartley’s on Jenkins. His height & weight and mobility make him best match up than McGovern.

Ambrose on Mcgovern.
Similar size and lots of aggression at the ball. I like Ambrose to use his muscle and endurance against the young powerful Mcgovern. This match up is one of the keys to stopping the Crows. Ambrose needs to absolutely rage like a bull. No Jane stuff. I want pure Tarzan.

Brown on Lynch.
Don’t rate Lynch that highly. Brown is a smart and very agile footballer. I expect that he will be feeling the pressure and will want to break into this team & cement his position as a key back/ spare parts man.

Hurley has all the tools and determination to nullify the Crows Captain. The overrated Tex is all machismo & moustache. If Hurley wins this contest, this will demoralise the Crows into submission.

Sorry no space for Dea until we get a few injuries in this position. Mainly he should replace Gleeson, who perhaps is too small & undeveloped against heavy weight Crows anyways.

No Gleeson? Match ups - I get it.

I would prefer:

Hartley’s on Jenkins. His height & weight and mobility make him best match up than McGovern.

Ambrose on Mcgovern.
Similar size and lots of aggression at the ball. I like Ambrose to use his muscle and endurance against the young powerful Mcgovern. This match up is one of the keys to stopping the Crows. Ambrose needs to absolutely rage like a bull. No Jane stuff. I want pure Tarzan.

Brown on Lynch.
Don’t rate Lynch that highly. Brown is a smart and very agile footballer. I expect that he will be feeling the pressure and will want to break into this team & cement his position as a key back/ spare parts man.

Hurley has all the tools and determination to nullify the Crows Captain. The overrated Tex is all machismo & moustache. If Hurley wins this contest, this will demoralise the Crows into submission.

Sorry no space for Dea until we get a few injuries in this position. Mainly he should replace Gleeson, who perhaps is too small & undeveloped against heavy weight Crows anyways.
Gleeson absolutely plays, just not on any of their talls.

You've got the match ups weirdly. Hartley's best option is to go to the deep contested marking sort of player, see how he had great success playing against the likes of Bruce, Patton, Dixon etc, which is what McGovern is to the Crows. Ambrose spanked Tex twice last year, after Hurley got thrashed by him in round 4. Lynch is a gun and arguably Adelaide's second most important forward, and top 5 in terms of overall players, behind Tex, Jacobs, Talia and Matt Crouch. Gleeson can play on him I guess, but would rather him staying deep and taking a smaller player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back