Retired #49: Matt Dea - calls it a day, retiring at season's end - 2/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on a second, a player has a bad half after 7-8 weeks of very good football, and that's it? Time to jump on him?

Dea has something that only 1 or 2 of our other backmen have - the ability to lock a player down. He had a stinker of a first half yesterday, but the rest of the season he's been dependable and a quality option to take an opposition player out. As I value my defenders defending, he'd be in for me virtually all the time.

Had a shocker of a first half, no doubt.
But he got better as the game went on and was solid in the second half.

If we are going to drop players after one poor half, then everyone im our team would have been sacked in round 8 or at different points this year. Reactionism at its worst.

Funny. Captain turns a few over. No fuss. Fringe player makes a few errors......
rrr.gif

As mentioned most likely does not get a game if Gleeson or Redmon are not injured but he has been good enough all season. He will most likely be one of the players moved on but he has done well for us.

Funny. Captain turns a few over. No fuss. Fringe player makes a few errors......
rrr.gif

As mentioned most likely does not get a game if Gleeson or Redmon are not injured but he has been good enough all season. He will most likely be one of the players moved on but he has done well for us.
He’s played in all but 2 of our wins, and only 1 of our losses.....

He’s played in all but 2 of our wins, and only 1 of our losses.....

I know but some people are very hard to please.....
mature-businessman-wearing-blinkers-closeup-side-view-picture-id200450824-001

Nominated by the club in "most courageous" category in the upcoming MVP awards.

Underrated player who may lose his spot due to the quality and depth we have coming through in his position.

One more year?

Nominated by the club in "most courageous" category in the upcoming MVP awards.

Underrated player who may lose his spot due to the quality and depth we have coming through in his position.

One more year?
If he won most courageous it would be well deserved....takes his turn every time, plays unconditionally.

Should we give him another year....probably not. Have Gleeson, Ridley, Redman and Francis who are all similar types with more ability. Hard to see him getting a game next year barring another round of injuries to all of the above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Redman and Gleeson are good chances to not be great next year after serious leg injuries. He'd be fairly cheap, provide cover and if we have everyone back he'll be a solid VFL contributor. 1 year deal for mine.
Solid insurance.

It is a yes from me too. He is my kind of player. Probably does not get much recognition for what he does right but is put under the microscope if he gets anything wrong. As you have mentioned, he is a very handy player to have waiting in the wings.

Did enough for another year easily.

People need to remember that not everyone on your list needs to be a guaranteed best 22 player. He’s mature depth and can do a job; there is a spot for people like that.

People need to remember that not everyone on your list needs to be a guaranteed best 22 player. He’s mature depth and can do a job; there is a spot for people like that.
He also improved a lot this year into a very handy player. Maybe 23/24 on the list but if he improved again then who knows? In any case if he’s happy knowing he’s probably depth them sign him up.

Excuse the intrusion.

I rarely hear news on player movements, but I did hear from a very good source that Matt Dea has been offered a nice contract by an interstate club.
I’d be happy for him if true. I’d like to keep him but not sure he’d play a lot next year.

That’s true but how much depth do you need for one spot? Have three players who are better than him right now and a fourth who will be very shortly at the same position....

I would add that I have plenty of respect for Dea - plays with passion and courage every time.

If we don't want Dea I'd absolutely love to see him get a job elsewhere. I have nothing but respect for him. He'll never be a star but you knew what you'd get.

The last of the top ups if I'm not mistaken but he's given us so much more.

Derm told me that Brown, Parish, McDonald-Tipungwuti and John Coleman were all top ups though?

Excuse the intrusion.

I rarely hear news on player movements, but I did hear from a very good source that Matt Dea has been offered a nice contract by an interstate club.
Good on him. He would go with the respect and support of most of the fan base.
Even considering that if everything goes well next season he probably won't be best 22, I would like to keep him if we can. He is worth more to the team than whatever we would get in a trade.
Good attitude and ethic, great example for younger guys, does his job. He might even have another gear in him.
Good luck to him whatever happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back