Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to just let MRJ to be himself, end of story
Mat Richardson was nothing like his dad Alan
Joel Bowden was nothing like his dad Michael
David Bourke was nothing like his dad Francis
No crazy expectations and no pressure to be something that he's not :) 👍

That’s why I reckon he should not have #17. Cotch made a great decision to retain #9 as skipper. Reckon MRJ gets his squad number and works his way up and carve out his own career and number when he’s ready.

I'd like to just let MRJ to be himself, end of story
Mat Richardson was nothing like his dad Alan
Joel Bowden was nothing like his dad Michael
David Bourke was nothing like his dad Francis
No crazy expectations and no pressure to be something that he's not :) 👍
and francis bourke was nothing like his dad frank

Had our family Christmas get together today and I’m relayed by marriage to a few indigenous boys who were in our Richmond academy and played with Jr

When talking about him the one thing they kept mentioning was that when he tackled he intended to hurt you

One of the older boys looked like getting drafted by us a year ago but went off the rails but has since got his head straight and having another crack at his football and taking it seriously so fingers crossed it all comes together for him
They are currently playing and living in seymour

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had our family Christmas get together today and I’m relayed by marriage to a few indigenous boys who were in our Richmond academy and played with Jr

When talking about him the one thing they kept mentioning was that when he tackled he intended to hurt you

One of the older boys looked like getting drafted by us a year ago but went off the rails but has since got his head straight and having another crack at his football and taking it seriously so fingers crossed it all comes together for him
They are currently playing and living in seymour
Wasnt there an academy kid , Kobe , looked like being anything

Not sure where to post this, sad news for the Rioli family. Incredible list of names and flags.

Football’s famous Rioli family loses ‘backbone’ after matriarch Helena passes away
Steve Butler & Eliza ReillyThe West Australian
Thu, 31 December 2020 5:49PMComments

Helena Rioli, centre, poses with grandson Willie Jnr, family, West Coast coach Adam Simpson and the 2018 premiership cup.
Helena Rioli, centre, poses with grandson Willie Jnr, family, West Coast coach Adam Simpson and the 2018 premiership cup. Credit: Willie Rioli/Instagram

The matriarch of one of Australia’s greatest football dynasties has been remembered as the “backbone of her family.”
Tributes have been pouring in after the death of Helena Kalippa Rioli, mother of the WA legends Maurice and Sebastian Rioli, grandmother of Eagles premiership forward Willie Jnr, Hawthorn’s Cyril, Essendon’s Dean and recent draftee Maurice Rioli Jnr, and great-grandmother of Richmond’s Daniel Rioli.
The Rioli football dynasty was forged over six decades ago when Helena met her future husband Cyril Rioli Snr at a recreation night at the Garden Point mission.

The two went on to have 10 children together.
MORE AFL NEWS:
The Rioli bloodline boasts 10 AFL premierships, three WAFL flags and one AFLW premiership between them.
Family members, AFL greats and the St Mary’s Football Club have all paid tribute to Mrs Kalippa Rioli and her “immense” legacy.
Her grandson Gavin Rioli, son of Maurice Snr, said he arrived in Darwin on Wednesday afternoon and would be forever grateful to have seen her one last time before she passed peacefully surrounded by family members.
His younger brother Maurice Jnr, drafted by the Tigers earlier this month, had also travelled to join the family to celebrate her life.
Gavin said she would be remembered as a driving force in their famous family.
“She was the family matriarch, the glue that held us all together,” Gavin said from Darwin on Thursday.
“She was so strong and taught us all a lot over the years, just a beautiful, strong woman right to the end. It’s quite hard still to think that for years to come when we come back, she won’t be here. But she’s left an incredible legacy for of us.”
Eagles premiership player Willie was one of the first to pay tribute to his grandmother on social media, crediting Helena for helping him cope with months of uncertainty as he awaits a verdict on his alleged doping infraction.
“Nothing can break me now grandma after this ! You helped me get through this situation I’m in mentally! Now it’s time to repay the favour ! We love you grandma well cherish this time like a blessing,” he wrote on Instagram.
Three-time premiership Tiger Daniel also paid tribute to the Tiwi Islands stalwart.
Richmonds [PLAYERCARD]Daniel Rioli[/PLAYERCARD] brings the 2019 Premiership Cup home to Pirlangimpi, his home community on Melville Islandto share with his grandmother.
Richmonds Daniel Rioli brings the 2019 Premiership Cup home to Pirlangimpi, his home community on Melville Islandto share with his grandmother. Credit: Michael Klein
“Can’t believe it grandma! Not only me but everyone here on the islands and the whole family will miss you dearly... will cherish everything forever. Hope we’re making you proud. Say hello to poppy until we meet again x,” he said.
Recent Richmond draftee Maurice Jnr also posted a photo of the late Helena and wrote “love you grandma.”
Past and present AFL players such as Eagles All-Australian forward Liam Ryan and two-time Coleman medallist Brendan Fevola left messages of support as did Danielle Hardwick, Brooke Cotchin, and Alex Fevola.
St Mary’s Football Club president Marius Clarke said the club “couldn’t pay enough tribute to her”.
The Rioli family played their combined 1000th game for the Darwin-based club in December 2019.
19 family members have played senior football at the club.
“Helena (Mrs Kalippa Rioli) was a huge part of the Rioli dynasty at the mighty SMFC,” Clarke said.
“Very unassuming she was the backbone of the family who nurtured the generations to ensure they carried the highest standard in life as well as football.
Maurice Rioli watched by brother Sebastian, works out on the punch bag at South Fremantle.
Maurice Rioli watched by brother Sebastian, works out on the punch bag at South Fremantle. Credit: David Taylor/WA News
“The Rioli family has contributed over a thousand senior games to the St Mary’s Football Club and thousands more in the other grades and the legacy she and her family have left not only on our club but to Australian football is immense.
“It is one of the most famous names in our country. She and her husband are products of the stolen generation and their resilience and values saw them go on to be community leaders.
“We can’t pay enough tribute to her and are very saddened by her passing and our thoughts are with her family and community.
“Mrs Rioli resilience leading such a long life was an amazing achievement.”
The Rioli bloodline also lays claim to former and current AFL and AFLW footballers including Anthony Long, Ben Long, Jake Long and 2019 AFLW premiership player Danielle Ponter, and South Fremantle premiership player Ben Rioli.
The West Australian was granted permission by the family to publish Mrs Kalippa Rioli’s name and image.

I noticed the "Rance set for shock return to footy " headline but I couldn't get past the pay wall. Anyone read it?....I'm thinking club/local footy?...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back