Delisted #49: Tom Hird - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like a blatant attempt to cash in in on the the surname unfortunately.
The kid had endurance and skill. More than the Irish when they come over. McKenna? So why world you think that? The kid was born with a footy in his hands. He will be legit... IMO haha

The kid had endurance and skill. More than the Irish when they come over. McKenna? So why world you think that? The kid was born with a footy in his hands. He will be legit... IMO haha
You are actually reinforcing my cynicism.

I'll be as happy as anyone if he makes it but his recruitment seems like part of a marketing strategy.

Brad Green played representative soccer in Tasmania as a kid, although really he was just an all-round freak as he also captained the Australian under 15 cricket team.
Yeah I played on him a few times and he was a freak. Kicked half a dozen goals. Could have easily had a soccer career.

View attachment 834006

From the James Hird Academy newsletter Nov, 2019

Birthdate is 28/03/2001 according to the current JHA list, so he'll be 19 in a few weeks. Same age as Mason Fletcher I think.

Pictured below with Heath Hocking, unless I miss my guess? Buddha is 184cm.

Which is why I maintain the club needs to invest in a breeding program. If Hird had have had babies with Lauren Jackson ....

Good luck to the kid. The struggles he's gone through in life. None of you know what it is like to have been raised in a Toorak mansion with less than 25 bedrooms.
One of ours was let out to refugees on some hippie feelgood mission by my art director parents.
The lack off space.....I still feel suffocated

Good luck to the kid. Hope he’s a proper chip off the old block

Had a trial at Ajax, which is pretty damn impressive.

It’s actually mind boggling that he hasn’t pursued soccer. Even as a championship level player he’d be earning a much higher salary and if he’s better than that he’d easily outearn the highest paid AFL players.

Heart over head and I love it.

Israel Folau was a marketing strategy, Tom Hird not so much. They didn't even put a pro video or anything on the club site, it was very low-key imo.
It is actually pretty similar in a way. Just substitute rugby fans for #standbyhird.

Probably sounds a bit harsh but I will be happy if he makes it, I’m just very cyncical about why he was picked up.

If he has the same ethic and natural talent as his Dad, who knows?

It’s actually mind boggling that he hasn’t pursued soccer. Even as a championship level player he’d be earning a much higher salary and if he’s better than that he’d easily outearn the highest paid AFL players.

Heart over head and I love it.

Apparently wanted to come back to study and just be closer to home, probably a better long term decision given this probably set him up for life after footy. He is a Hird after all.

Be interesting to see what happens if lists get cut, does being son of James get him an extra year.
It depends on how they cut lists. I don't see him keeping it unless they make a Cat B exception

Remove this Banner Ad

Back