Delisted #49: Tom Hird - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trial only lasts from a day to few weeks. Maybe they were living in their French chateau?
Maybe he was playing for clubs he didn't trial at? I dunno, but if he lived there it probably explains his lack of state representation.

Maybe he was playing for clubs he didn't trial at? I dunno, but if he lived there it probably explains his lack of state representation.
Fair enough, just making the point that pro soccer career didn’t come about. Nothing for him to be ashamed of, but explanation of why may of changed mind considering what James said just Sept last year.

Think this thread is enough to scare him back to soccer if Tom Browne camped on his lawn didn't do it...

Take a few breaths ya'll
I always wonder what it would be like when someone invariably takes a look at their BF thread.

I imagine Tom would be fully aware of the standard of considered discussion that occurs on footy (social) media

Right now if he went on a diet for a couple of weeks he could be riding at Moonee Valley. Will need every bit of two years in the Gym and Jay Neagles KFC membership.

Fair enough, just making the point that pro soccer career didn’t come about. Nothing for him to be ashamed of, but explanation of why may of changed mind considering what James said just Sept last year.
I believe he was asked to go back to be part of the next trial but chose to give footy a try. From what I hear most thought he was good enough to be a decent state league soccer player.

I believe he was asked to go back to be part of the next trial but chose to give footy a try. From what I hear most thought he was good enough to be a decent state league soccer player.
That’s far short of playing for Stoke in England’s second tier

It suggests he couldn't get a soccer contract.

I've watched someone first hand, with a much better pedigree than Tom's, get lost in the system trying to get contracts overseas.

Anyone would be mad to try to have a career playing soccer as an Australian if he can play footy.

Playing footy, all you really need to be is good enough and the pathways will sort out the rest. Soccer, on the other hand, from Australia at a point at which our players have virtually no reputation, is a complete lottery at best.

Even 20 years ago there was an under 19s side that lost an under 19 WC on penalties to Brazil and, from memory, not one of the players made it.

Looking at Tom's pedigree as a soccer player a sustainable career is not even in his control let alone in the 2-3 years it will take him to establish himself as an AFL player.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this the end of Lockyer and Teakle now?
No. Hird is on the Category B rookie list whilst whoever gets the nod will be Category A rookie list.

Right now if he went on a diet for a couple of weeks he could be riding at Moonee Valley. Will need every bit of two years in the Gym and Jay Neagles KFC membership.
So many Neagles through the Hird academy they could put some Hirds through a Neagle academy?

His dad was too small to make it. Praise be to Sheedy.

This article has a little more info,

Seems that we were pretty close with the transferable skills they look at

Sheehan says there are transferable skills between soccer and modern day Australian Rules outside of elite aerobic capacity. AFL recruiters like soccer players for their "two-footedness", goalkeeping skills, familiarity with defensive blocks, running patterns, ability to read cues from opposition and teammates and their intercepting qualities.

This article has a little more info,

Seems that we were pretty close with the transferable skills they look at

Sheehan says there are transferable skills between soccer and modern day Australian Rules outside of elite aerobic capacity. AFL recruiters like soccer players for their "two-footedness", goalkeeping skills, familiarity with defensive blocks, running patterns, ability to read cues from opposition and teammates and their intercepting qualities.
Good find, and no paywall :hearteyes:

Also says this from his juniors in footy:

"Wayne Oswald saw Tom play at Prahran Juniors from age nine to 14. Oswald said Tom was very skilled, athletically gifted and tactically smart as a footy player. He played as a midfielder and medium forward."

And from his soccer coach:

"He’s a natural sportsperson with anything he does," Port Melbourne coach Adam Piddick said. "His athletic ability to get around the park, the repeat sprint … he is a very smart kid so has good sense tactically.

"He was a left full back and central midfield type of player. He can play in pretty much any position because he can pick things up quickly though."

Good find, and no paywall :hearteyes:

Also says this from his juniors in footy:

"Wayne Oswald saw Tom play at Prahran Juniors from age nine to 14. Oswald said Tom was very skilled, athletically gifted and tactically smart as a footy player. He played as a midfielder and medium forward."

And from his soccer coach:

"He’s a natural sportsperson with anything he does," Port Melbourne coach Adam Piddick said. "His athletic ability to get around the park, the repeat sprint … he is a very smart kid so has good sense tactically.

"He was a left full back and central midfield type of player. He can play in pretty much any position because he can pick things up quickly though."
I know it's naive but I already feel like he'll be better than Stanton. And I'm okay with that.

Sam Draper haha. Brad Green trained with Manchester I think

Zac Smith (Gold Coast/Geelong/Gold Coast ruck) had an elite soccer background as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back