Delisted #49: Tom Hird - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My younger brother did one of those scam footy clinics when he was about 13-14 where they promise they're trying to prepare you for AFL etc. Never forgot that there was a few of the kids talking about which AFL teams they followed. One kid when asked said Essendon - another kid loudly proclaimed 'the drug cheats'. The look on the kids face was really sad, and what made it sadder was it was actually a younger Tom (Only knew because Tania was there). I never liked Hird much especially after the saga, but after watching the Sun relentlessly go after Goody who has had a pretty hard time away from footy over the past couple years I gained a lot of sympathy for him and his family in hindsight.

Hope Tom can debut at some stage this year, would be a great moment for his family (And would he be a 4th generation player?).

Tom Hird​

Key stats: 16 disposals, four marks, four tackles

"'Hirdy' had to a play a little bit of wing and a little bit of midfield, so it was good to see him in different positions. It was a tough day for our mids, we got beaten on the inside, so he did a lot of defending and chasing."

My younger brother did one of those scam footy clinics when he was about 13-14 where they promise they're trying to prepare you for AFL etc. Never forgot that there was a few of the kids talking about which AFL teams they followed. One kid when asked said Essendon - another kid loudly proclaimed 'the drug cheats'. The look on the kids face was really sad, and what made it sadder was it was actually a younger Tom (Only knew because Tania was there). I never liked Hird much especially after the saga, but after watching the Sun relentlessly go after Goody who has had a pretty hard time away from footy over the past couple years I gained a lot of sympathy for him and his family in hindsight.

Hope Tom can debut at some stage this year, would be a great moment for his family (And would he be a 4th generation player?).
Yep ..great grandfather Alan Snr 104 EFC games, grandfather Alan Hird jrn 4 games ..dad James

Tom Hird​

Key stats: 11 disposals, six tackles, two marks

"'Hirdy' didn't get a lot of the ball. He quick-kicked a fair bit, so he'll be working on using his shape a bit more this week, so that will help him and the team with our ball movement. He defended well with six tackles, so his work-rate was good, but he'll be working on getting more of the ball and being cleaner inside."

Breakout game!!!
Hope so. 26 disposals as a half forward is really good, especially in a low possession league.

Could get a second half of the year debut everything going well

Tom Hird

Key stats: Two goals, 27 disposals, eight marks five tackles

"It was arguably Tom's best game. He certainly found the footy and some of his patterning out of stoppages and contests were the best we've seen. His pressure around the ball and his tackling were very good. He kicked 2.3 and probably should have kicked more (goals) to finish off his good work. Some of his kicking let him down throughout the game, but overall it was pleasing to see him play so well."

Tom Hird​

Key stats: One goal, 18 disposals, four marks, two tackles

"It took him a little bit to get into it this week, but his running patterns were really good. He's been working on fall-of-the-ball stuff. At times he drove his legs and looked really good in close, and at other times he was caught. The way he moved to play the way we wanted him to as a small forward was really good. He kicked a really nice goal and worked right until the end, but was a little bit down compared to previous weeks."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Hird​

Key stats: 14 disposals, five marks, three tackles

"'Hirdy' was a little bit quieter this week. He can hang his hat on giving really good work-rate, which we saw again this week. He played as a high half-forward and has typically been good at getting to the fall of the ball near some of those bigs (key forwards), but this week he was probably playing too high at times, so those opportunities didn't present themselves. He wasn't as dangerous, but his work-rate kept him involved."

Think it’s time to find out exactly what we have here, he had 5 scoring shots yesterday and even though he didn’t capitalise he’s getting more footy and getting to more contests. Gone from a 7-8 touch player to a more consistent 15/20 touch player.

Comes in for Smith for mine, may well be that neither play when we start getting players back but I want a look.

Do not think he has what it takes but right now how much could it hurt to chuck him in for a couple of weeks and just say go hard and make a few tackles. Smiths knee is busted so they may as well rehab him given we have him for another year. Tom has been working pretty hard and has a go so it is not like we would be giving him a game because of his name. He does not have enough trick's for mine but he does play with a little desperation and has put in effort most weeks in the VFL. Not like we are going to win 10 games and make finals from here.

Do we need to upgrade him or something before he can play?
Looks like not anymore - so yes, he is eligible to play.

Not sure when it changed but it used to be no rookies at all unless upgraded, then Category A could play and Category B couldn't from the end of 2017, in the 2017-2022 CBA.

Now it seems all rookies can play, which must have been part of the pandemic related CBA upgrade, with this version of the CBA effective since Feb 2021:

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 18.46.42.png

Not sure when it changed but it used to be no rookies at all unless upgraded, then Category A could play and Category B couldn't from the end of 2017, in the 2017-2022 CBA.

Now it seems all rookies can play, which must have been part of the pandemic related CBA upgrade, with this version of the CBA effective since Feb 2021:

View attachment 1413188

Get stuffed eth-dog

View attachment 1413188

Wow, thanks - surprised he hasn't at least been an emergency at some stage this year, unless I just missed it.

Wow, thanks - surprised he hasn't at least been an emergency at some stage this year, unless I just missed it.
He was emergency when all the players got the flu

Ahhh yes, that's right - I do now remember thinking it was a bit odd they made Lord the sub over him.

Everyone lost their s**t when Tex was made sub on debut and didn’t get a run, if they did it to Tom I reckon Marvel, the hangar, Windy Hill and the bowls club would have been burnt to the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back