Contract Status: Delisted
Last Game Played: Yet to debut

Injury Status: n/a

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I do not think he can make it. In fact I think he plays with his old mans instinct which does not actually suit his size and ability.
I will say that he has improved this year and has been a consistent VFL performer so I would have no issue giving him 2 or 3 games and just telling him to go hard, chase and tackle and see what we get.
Sink or swim I like it

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Thought he had an interesting game on the weekend. Really a down performance on production until the game was there to be won in the final minutes. Probably could have won the game off his own boots with 4 shots on goal in the last 10 minutes only turned into one but was everywhere. Feel it's the right move to reward the consistent form though.

I haven't really thought there was a load to work with, but how would you know with the way we have played (till the last two). * it, Im in - bring.

He had a down game but kicked a classy and important goal when it looked like they had a run on. See how he goes next couple of weeks but I think he should be in line for a debut in the next few weeks.

He had a down game but kicked a classy and important goal when it looked like they had a run on. See how he goes next couple of weeks but I think he should be in line for a debut in the next few weeks.
Hey? He’s barely VFL standard. Been very poor last two weeks.

Hey? He’s barely VFL standard. Been very poor last two weeks.
Was not poor against the Blues . 16 possessions and 1.1 . 5 tackles.
Did not do a lot last Saturday.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Tom Hird

Key stats: seven disposals, two tackles, one goal

“It was a pretty slow start to the game, and he didn’t have much impact. He had some moments where he looked really good when he got the ball in the defensive 50 as a winger and ended up at the fall of the ball and kicking a really nice goal. But it wasn’t a really impactful game.”

Can never question his intent. His pressure this year has been a big step up from last year. Starting to impact the scoreboard more often, need him to get to that low to mid teens possessions and above 1 goal/game type matches

Can never question his intent. His pressure this year has been a big step up from last year. Starting to impact the scoreboard more often, need him to get to that low to mid teens possessions and above 1 goal/game type matches

We can only hope.

His soccer experience with patterned running and not just sheepdogging around a field combined with an increasing ability to hit the scoreboard make him a pretty desireable little package as a small forward even without elite top end speed.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I was a big advocate of Tom having a game to see if he could 'cut it' but the last couple of weeks have been poor, almost regressing. Conditions today weren't conducive for the flanker type but 1 tackle wasn't good enough. Those brain fades late compounded the views on his game imho

Bordering on delist if we did decide to go down the path of picking up one of our borderline NGA kids like Matt Foley or a Ruben Rode to place on the Cat B rookie list because that could be Tom's saving grace if he gets to 2023

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I liked that 4 - 6 week stretch in the middle of the year that coincided with a resurgence from our VFL side but to be a small and have such slow development, I don't think he "makes it".

Seems to have a neat set of skills but little craft that could transfer to the top level is a stretch imho. I would love another Hird to make it, would be a giant F U to the wider community but would much prefer we open up (Cat B) list spaces and try other avenues now.

Again, he is no write off but the burn has been so slow that it may well never end up with an AFL debut. He should have been in the frame during the year but didn't even make the emergencies, McBride has a certain set of skills/traits and can understand why we persevere but Tom, yep, done imho.

Back