Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
What's he actually like at footy? Sure, his old man was a jet and Tom seems to be physically developing well and has good skills, but is he a decent player or was he in juniors before he focussed on soccer?

If his name was Tom Henneman would people be so up and about, or would they assume he isn't that good as his dad was just an ok player.

Expectations seem sky high for a relative unknown quantity.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Apparently his fitness is impressive. Feel there’s a small forward slot up for grabs if he wants it, competing with Cahill and Snelling.

Would have thought playing off a back pocket is a chance for him, we don't have an abundance of small defenders and if he's got good athleticism and a decent kick on him that's probably the easiest place to get a start.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
What's he actually like at footy? Sure, his old man was a jet and Tom seems to be physically developing well and has good skills, but is he a decent player or was he in juniors before he focussed on soccer?

If his name was Tom Henneman would people be so up and about, or would they assume he isn't that good as his dad was just an ok player.

Expectations seem sky high for a relative unknown quantity.

Everybody’s having a bit of fun with the fact he’s a legends son - to be expected - but I personally haven’t seen any sign of sky high expectations.

Everybody’s having a bit of fun with the fact he’s a legends son - to be expected - but I personally haven’t seen any sign of sky high expectations.
I've got $50 on him for the Brownlow. To soon?

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

It's also positive news for fellow youngster Tom Hird, who has overcome the navicular stress fracture that sidelined him in his first year at the club.

“Tom had that navicular stress fracture last year, which kept him out for the whole season. He has now built up his loads over the off-season through to now, where he’s into full skills and with the full group.

“We’ll keep an eye on his loads given his history, but he’s a little animal and trains at a high intensity, so if anything we’ll need to control him a little bit. He’s in a really good spot at the moment. It’s nice to see him part of the main group and learning the game plan.”

"little animal" is a pretty good compliment for a young athlete I'd think.

I'm still stunned he's pursued an AFL career after what his dad and by extension family went through. Playing the long game to sweet chin music Gillan on the dais?
Accepting the rising star and Brownlow as well as norm Smith next year venegence for cad

Cup_o_Jobe

All Australian
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Pencilling him in for an Anzac Day medal. Shut down job on De Goey before going forward in the fourth to snag 3 cheapies.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Really need a full VFL season completed for our development, last year hurt the younger squads.

Definitely; Jones, Cahill, Bryan, Crauford* all would likely have benefitted significantly from regular competitive matches.

Add Johnson and Hird this year as second year players who will likely need regular competitive games to have a chance of a career.

Definitely; Jones, Cahill, Bryan, Crauford* all would likely have benefitted significantly from regular competitive matches.

Add Johnson and Hird this year as second year players who will likely need regular competitive games to have a chance of a career.
Luckily or unluckily, Jones, Johnson and Hird spent most of last year sidelined with injury, so the lack of VFL games is almost a moot point in their development.

You could add McQuillan to that list too.

Back