Contract Status: Delisted
Last Game Played: Yet to debut

Injury Status: n/a

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
Now trying defence, and getting a lot of learning

Tom Hird
Stats: 15 disposals, three marks

"'Hirdy' played back most of the game. [It was a] tough game for Hirdy, he didn’t get a lot of the ball. He turned it over a little bit, probably more than he would have liked. He played on some smart forwards so that was a game Hirdy will get a lot of learning from.”

*with no s*

One learning each week you reckon? Spread it out, give each one time to sink in?
Wouldn’t be the silliest idea. We’ve been trying “learnings” since 2016 and they didn’t sink in that well, let’s be honest.

Played his role well
Tom Hird
Stats: 16 disposals, six marks, two tackles

“'Hirdy' defended well and he also attacked pretty well this week. It was a solid game from him. He played the conditions really well and he played his role well.”

Nullified his opponent and still got 14 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles.

Tom Hird
Stats: 14 disposals, five marks, two tackles

“I thought defensively it was probably his best game he’s played for us this year. His man had no impact on the game. The last couple of weeks he’s been working on his accountability, and the last two weeks I thought he’s been one of our better backmen in that regard. I was really happy with the way he defended and he got a little bit of the ball.”

From what I’ve seen of Tom his greatest attribute is that much like Jim, he never panics despite playing with a sense of urgency.

To be honest I’ve been pretty impressed every time I’ve seen him, courageous little tacker with a nice left foot

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Almost half time and I’d have Tom as close to our best so far. Tenacious, urgenct, skills are neat without anything amazing.

What impresses me every time you watch is the improvement he makes. Be it his positioning, his reading of the game, he seems to be really taking to this level. With 2.5 years in the Cat an rookie list he could very well end up a neat little player. He has decent enough linage after all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like he's coming on a bit. 19 touches is going alright.

Tom Hird
Stats: 19 disposals, five marks, two tackles

“'Hirdy' defensively was pretty good. A couple of times his opponent got out the back of him but it’s something he’s aware of and something he’s working on. When we had the ball he joined in our attack, he got a fair bit of the ball and his running patterns were pretty good when he got the ball and most of the time he used it well. He’s had a good three weeks."

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Here's hoping that Covid doesn't kill the year like it did in 2020 because he was just starting to get involved much more than his start at Essendon.

I have liked what I've seen in him so far at VFL level and wouldn't have been surprised to see him push for a debut later in the year but doubt that happens now with the enforced break in the season.

Still, with a third year on the (Cat B) rookie list, he should definitely be safe and imho, push for games in 2022 across half back or back pocket.

Missed seeing this with the lockdown and seniors heading to Perth at the drop of a hat, they did a little video interviewing Cam Roberts about his progress and what he's working on.

Sounds like he's basically doing a crash course in how to football, basic positional craft and stuff he should've done in juniors but he was playing soccer at the time.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Missed seeing this with the lockdown and seniors heading to Perth at the drop of a hat, they did a little video interviewing Cam Roberts about his progress and what he's working on.

Sounds like he's basically doing a crash course in how to football, basic positional craft and stuff he should've done in juniors but he was playing soccer at the time.

There is just something about this kid.

Intensity
Skills
Toughness

Could go on but those three could set him up to play a game or two by years end imho

16 possessions (11 k, 5hb) to go with 3 tackles and 5 marks is an ok day for a young man making his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades

Has a good person at home to help with homework too.

A "real natural" in a new role at high forward.

Tom Hird
Stats: 16 disposals, five marks, three tackles

“'Hirdy' played in a new role this week and slotted in really nicely. He played as a high forward, got involved in play up the ground and then his between contest running was really impressive. He looked a real natural playing up forward, so that was a nice progression in his game.”

Back