4th Ashes Test: Australia v England, Chester-le-Street, August 9-13.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad I went to bed when they were 2 for 150 odd.

* yes, great to wake up to that scorecard! Can't wait to see the highlights.

Must admit after going to bed at 1/80 I didn't have much hope it'd be a good scoreline when I woke up. Top effort.

If Harris was his usual self we could have inflicted some serious damage the way the others were bowling. Bird was good until that last spell, he probably hasn't dished them many pies in his whole career. Great bowling by Lyon he's come back better then ever.

My whole family are from New Zealand so I feel inclined to disagree, but it's pretty much true.

If you remove the 'ocker' equation then it's all much of a muchness.

But don't you dare say British :p

Aussies pretty much the same as British except for the gay accent and the s**t women. :thumbsu:

Great first day for Australia. Now we just need to knock that last wicket and be no more than 3 down at the close of play tomorrow.
Just knock down that last wicket and be batting at the end of the day will be enough for me after England's slow as * run rate...

I know England played some poor shots and Australia bowled quite well, i'm not getting excited just yet though as one innings isn't really a true reflection of the pitch and all it would take is a shonky start tonight and we could find ourselves facing a first innings deficit. The top first innings score at the ground this year is under 300, so i'd be happy just getting a score of 300 in my opinion.

Mitchell Starc doesn't play, Australia has its best bowling effort of the Ashes.. coincidence?

Our 3 (4 if you include Watson) pace bowlers are all very economical, putting a lot of pressure on the opposition. Perfect example of pressure bowling today, forced them to need runs off Lyon, and instead resulted in wickets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell Starc doesn't play, Australia has its best bowling effort of the Ashes.. coincidence?

To a point yes, but I still like that strike bowler- although I would rather wait till Pat Cummins is fit!

To a point yes, but I still like that strike bowler- although I would rather wait till Pat Cummins is fit!
He isn't a striker bowler. You can't call a guy who barely gets it in the right place or takes a wicket as a strike bowler. Ludicrous. Both Cummins and Him are bog average and shouldn't have baggy greens.

He isn't a striker bowler. You can't call a guy who barely gets it in the right place or takes a wicket as a strike bowler. Ludicrous. Both Cummins and Him are bog average and shouldn't have baggy greens.

There is the stupid statement of the year. Cummins has the most potential out of ALL our bowlers, that includes Pattinson. However he must get on the park. He is a strike bowler though.

Watto spooked opening again?
Watto seems to get spooked every time he goes to Durham.

I missed the last hour or so. Looking at the comments, was the new ball sprayed or just wasted through not quite getting it right? Or did the poms just get lucky on the tonk?

I guess the question over the days was whether England played into Lyon's hands by being defensive.
Bird instead of Starc helped that, and England in my view did as well.
Bird might not have the unplayable ball, but for the most part he doesn't leak easy runs either except sometimes being picked off through leg side.
To me he perhaps bowled a little "too straight" for this level, a lot at middle and off rather than half a metre outside off. At least he made them play almost every ball (though from the comments that might not have been the case late in the day.) All the bowling looked good, but again England made it look better than it was by not taking all the runs that were on offer.

I was impressed with the Pietersen wicket. Lyon had dragged him out wide in defence a couple of times before that, and the third or fourth got the edge. Had KP gone back to attacking at that point, or against the type of player comfortable leaving the ball, the wicket might not have come - certainly not in the fashion that id did. It was clever bowling to that player in that mindset when the ball wasn't turning.

Tough for the openers, knowing that second ball of the day they might be batting, or maybe not until an hour in. But, hey, number three has to deal with that all the time.

Agree with magic, I think this game is still nicely poised. And Howard is spot-on about KP.

As for playing in Australia, I remember you guys saying Jimmy Anderson wouldn't be any good there, and we'd have no chance. Still, I wouldn't bet the house on it. As I wouldn't on this match. But we'll see how you do against Swann.

I've asked you this before, but did you not watch Cummins' debut?

There is the stupid statement of the year. Cummins has the most potential out of ALL our bowlers, that includes Pattinson. However he must get on the park. He is a strike bowler though.
he has as much potential to play at a high level of test cricket as I do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back