4th test Australia v India at the Gabba 1030 AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Horse racing just needs to cease to exist. It's the embodiment of spartan and senseless "entertainment".

I'm sure committed mare breeders will disagree with me, but IMO horse-racing can only be enjoyed in a ceremonial context, like the Melbourne Cup.

The tension comes not so much from the race itself (which is over very quickly anyway), but more from the stakes that X has bet on X horse.

I guess horse racing is a bit atomising in that sense, because your mate winning doesn't do you any favours.

Geez that Gabba drainage never misses to amaze me. 20 minutes ago it looked like you could water ski on it. Not sure how soggy it is underfoot, but can't see any more standing water. Umps inspect in 20 minutes...

Why do they need to wait 25 minutes to inspect the pitch once covers are off?

is it to let them try and get the ground dry & ready for play?

How much warning/time do the umpires need to give the players that play will be restarting because surely they could inspect the ground sooner than 25 minutes after covers are off, and factor in that required time for restart into the groundsmen preparation time

BECAUSE IT IS WRITTEN BY THE PROPHET AFTER HE RECIEVED ORDERS FROM GOD.

Wait, no, it's just because cricket is *ed and loves to shoot itself in the shoot and make sure kids lose interest.

Nothing more tedious or boring than people talking about horse racing.
I reckon Ian Healy talking about the edges and profile of a Gray-Nicolls "Kaboom" bat for ten straight minutes comes pretty close!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horse racing just needs to cease to exist. It's the embodiment of spartan and senseless "entertainment".
I just mainly hate how they try and make out like something that purely exists for gambling is a 'sport'.

Horses run on instinct, but in this case, it's because they're being whipped. That's not a sport, it's animal cruelty!
Gerard Twateley once devoted half an episode of Outsiders on the crap. If you are into it whatever it's a free country but it's not a sport imo.

Gerard Twateley once devoted half an episode of Outsiders on the crap. If you are into it whatever it's a free country but it's not a sport imo.
Question. If you need to do a renshaw out there and there literally isn't time to run off retired ill, what do you do? Thinking India in 45 degree heat with 82% humidity and your guts are saying hi. You think about running off but your legs are jelly and there's just no time. Wonder if that's happened to a batsman before?

"Offsiders" does a whole horse episode every year before the melbourne cup, or did when barrie or gerard was hosting. Perhaps the most tedious programming in sport.
"Outsiders" is where the sky news crew compete with each other to see who is most unhinged. I believe rowan dean is the carryover champion.

Well, according to a friend who is good mates with a curator the main reason was and remains - it gives the center square time to 'dry out' as the covers can often cause the underlying surface to 'sweat' which can resemble a heavier version of dew - and of course depending on how much rain has fallen you also need time to remove the surface water from the outfield....

Kevin Mitchell Jnr is one of my favourite groundsman, the work he does with the roller is second to none.

Almost as good as the late great Kevin Mitchell Snr, one of the all time great groundsman.
I think Kevin Mitchell Jr retired a couple of years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back