murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
From the first over I’ve been screaming for Paine to widen the gap between the slips, this has happened all series especially between 2nd and 3rd slip. FMD

Aug 4, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't like Starc around the wicket right now. He's not swinging it but he's getting a bit of movement away from the batsman off the seam, which is far more dangerous when bowling over . I know they've got different plans for different batsmen but he looks much more challenging over the wicket.

Yep, draws two nicks through the cordon from over the wicket but then changes to the rubbish round the wicket angle

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Bit of aggressive captaincy wouldn't go astray when they are already playing for the draw.

Paine's done an okay job as captain, but he doesn't attack enough for my liking. Especially when a new batsman comes in, he just adopts the same field as before, where he should be pressuring the new player. Early in the day, batsmen having to play themselves in, and he has 2 slips. :rolleyes:

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Paine's done an okay job as captain, but he doesn't attack enough for my liking. Especially when a new batsman comes in, he just adopts the same field as before, where he should be pressuring the new player. Early in the day, batsmen having to play themselves in, and he has 2 slips. :rolleyes:
Yep, attacking captains are few and far between these days. Clarke, for all his faults, was an aggresive and tactically astute captain. McCullum was great too. Not many other than those two in recent times.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep, draws two nicks through the cordon from over the wicket but then changes to the rubbish round the wicket angle

It's different batsmen and they clearly rate Pujara's ability to leave higher than Rahane's, so I get they want to force Pujara to play. But you need to trust Starc to put it on a spot from over the wicket that still puts Pujara in two minds, given he otherwise looks so much more dangerous at that angle.

CricketingErrors

Team Captain
Dec 28, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
India play is smartly here.get their runs somehow and stay in the game. Starc has no plans. Just going through the motions. Might as well bowl 6 on the stumps, even if getting hit

Yep, attacking captains are few and far between these days. Clarke, for all his faults, was an aggresive and tactically astute captain. McCullum was great too. Not many other than those two in recent times.
As much as he was a fat campaigner, Ranatunga and Whatmorere reinvented ODIs and arguably paved the way for T20 cricket.

Back