Remove this Banner Ad

All it would take is the wrong person at the wrong time to overhear you telling someone you’re heading up to take the kids camping at Quobba next weekend for them to be there lying in wait. Seems more likely than a chance abduction by someone already on site.

I dunno. Depending on where you are Quobba is a bloody long way to go. I wouldn't think any predator unknown to the family would go that far when they likely have a lot more potential victims closer to home. The only way I can see someone making such a long drive would be if they specifically wanted Cleo which would make more sense if it was someone known to the family, although police don't seem to be going down that line as far as we know

All it would take is the wrong person at the wrong time to overhear you telling someone you’re heading up to take the kids camping at Quobba next weekend for them to be there lying in wait. Seems more likely than a chance abduction by someone already on site.

I didn’t really pick up on any deceptive behavior by the parents in the interview as they had to be prompted, whereas people hiding something usually have a well prepared story. They did seem quite guarded but they’d be living in a blur right now.
Never has it. Happened in our criminal history

Site clearing works, with an area of 20m x 20 m (400m2 ) removing approximately a metre of sand from the top of the dune was then performed by the Shire on the 16th and 17th March 2016 to establish the caretakers building, within the Reserve 39666 that has a designated purpose of ‘Rubbish Site’. The caretakers dwelling site is opposite the Blowholes waste/dump station disposal site and west of/adjacent to the existing, but dis-used Blowholes rubbish disposal area.

Even discounting any rumours about some Groundskeeper Willie caretaker in his shack, that sounds ominous. A caravan waste disposal site (I'm assuming a septic tank) and disused rubbish disposal area right near the campsite.

Are either of those easily accessible? Either by a small child or a potential kidnapper/murderer?

'following discussions with Council in 2014 and 2015 on the provision of a permanent Caretakers Dwelling at the Blowholes Camping area to establish a presence and improve management of the Reserve, the conversion of sea containers to a Class 1 dwelling as a cost effective approach was suggested. A subsequent allocation of funds was then provided in the current 2015/16 budget, and quotations were called for a contractor/registered builder to undertake the fit-out and siting of the dwelling using converted sea containers due to their durability and portability, as opposed to in-situ construction of a dwelling onsite. With the internal fit-out works completed, planning approval was granted by Council in January 2016 for the caretakers dwelling, and a building permit issued on 8 th February 2016. Site clearing works, with an area of 20m x 20 m (400m2 ) removing approximately a metre of sand from the top of the dune was then performed by the Shire on the 16th and 17th March 2016 to establish the caretakers building, within the Reserve 39666 that has a designated purpose of ‘Rubbish Site’. The caretakers dwelling site is opposite the Blowholes waste/dump station disposal site and west of/adjacent to the existing, but dis-used Blowholes rubbish disposal area. These works are illustrated in the following Figure 1 and Figure 2 below.'

View attachment 1264365

View attachment 1264366

The bitumen road ends just past the caretaker site, so he should have heard this screeching car given it had to go straight past? Not sure where bitumen starts at the other end or if there even is any?

This site is useful for info and pics on the Blowholes Camp site/location

''There have traditionally been a large number of squatter's shacks at Point Quobba but in 2016, the shire issued demolition orders and since then the shack owners have been fighting to preserve their shacks.'

The campsite has few facilities and the toilets on site are supposed to be for day use visitors only. There is a black water dump point available for campers.

Fees are charged for camping and during peak season, a maximum stay of 30 days is permitted. Outside peak season, stays of up to 90 days are allowed.

Boat launching is possible by 4x4 vehicles over the beach but vehicles are prohibited on the beach for any other purpose than launching.

The area behind the island is generally safe for swimming but further south in deeper water, large sharks frequently come close to shore.'

'Quobba is one of the best campsites along the coast and despite the lack of fresh water or electricity, many people spend several weeks here each winter.'

Not good.. could be a ring around this area.

That burnout people heard could defs be the getaway car.

Last edited:
Some valid points there Sherlock Kurve, but you're also making some assumptions. My dad built higher versions of a temporary fence in our driveway to stop me running away when I was not much older than Cleo, yet I always found a way to climb over it...

Cleo didn't need to take the zipper up that high to get out.

I'm just waiting for them to get around to racially stereotyping those on the sex offender list

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Unlikely the media with bother with any race based spin on this one - given Cleo is a little white girl.
If she was of any other race or ethnicity however, of course our wonderful media people would already be running headlines suggesting this could be a 'racist hate crime!'...

Last edited:
Not good.. could be a ring around this area.

That burnout people heard could defs be the getaway car.

Are rings that common? I would've thought your average regional Australian sex offender is nowhere near sophisticated enough to come up with any sort of scheme on that scale

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a phenomenon where people undergo some sort of neurosis when on overseas holidays. In Israel it's a messiah complex, in Australia they transform and do things they would never do back in their home country. They become theives, rapists, or like Josef Schwab did, become killers. Who knows who took Cleo or for what reason, if any. This might be spur of the moment when a bit of basic thievery turned upon a little girl stirring and an incoherent response to prevent the parents being woken up. I hope that every possible location where she could be "off loaded" is searched. Worst case scenario to me would be at the one mile jetty.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Country towns are where people with a 'past' escape to.

PS. Would Cleo need to go through her parents room to go wandering? If so, and I was thinking of taking her (from her room) I'd cut through an outside wall of Cleo's room rather than walk past the (hopefully) sleeping parents. Isn't unknown to happen.

Worst case scenario to me would be at the one mile jetty.

Jetty was badly damaged in Cyclone Seroja. Major works underway to make safe, demolish parts and rebuild other bits. Can't confirm as I'm not there but I don't think the public has access to the jetty atm.

So someone who is so careful as to not wake the family by sneaking around their tent, quietly unzipping the tent, carefully grabbing the child without (her) making a noise, quietly walking to their car then proceeds to do a burnout up the road?

That makes zero sense to me.

Country towns are where people with a 'past' escape to.

PS. Would Cleo need to go through her parents room to go wandering? If so, and I was thinking of taking her (from her room) I'd cut through an outside wall of Cleo's room rather than walk past the (hopefully) sleeping parents. Isn't unknown to happen.
Would she have put the tent zipper nearly all the way up, herself? Could she reach? I would have thought a little kid would pull it up as far as she’d need to, to then crawl out. An adult would need to pull it up almost all the way to get access and also to remove the child 🙁

So someone who is so careful as to not wake the family by sneaking around their tent, quietly unzipping the tent, carefully grabbing the child without (her) making a noise, quietly walking to their car then proceeds to do a burnout up the road?

That makes zero sense to me.

Is this a 10 person tent? It looks behemoth to me. Then again I’m not really a camper these days so I wouldn’t know. I can see how someone might get away with it but its extremely unlikely that they could get away with it,and without leaving any clues behind. I’m surprised the bushies didn’t find any traces. Hopefully the forensics that come back will be helpful in revealing more info. Also, what’s with the shovel? It’s probably a silly question...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back