Remove this Banner Ad

Here's the sleeping bag from BCF that appears to match the missing one in this case

It's not a polyester sleeping bag as opposed to a down one that might be leaking down all over the place like mine do.
It weights 1.5kg.

Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 10.36.47 am.png Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 10.37.57 am.png

Interviewing the bio father leads me to believe the police have put quite a bit of stock in abduction.

From what I have read there has been a lot of cctv/dash cam footage seized which would realistically take possibly hundreds of hours for police to painstakingly comb through.

The police have no reason not to say the community don’t need to worry about an abductor. Think about it, even if they know she was 100% abducted, they can be pretty confident that no one is returning to snatch another kid with such a large police presence in the area.

The 3am vehicle can be explained away innocently, but I feel like if it was just old bud down the road heading off at sparrow fart to get in some prime time reeling, or someone leaving to get to their next destination by day break, that person would have come forward by now. Highly unlikely that if that person is innocent they haven’t heard about this case.

Interviewing the bio father leads me to believe the police have put quite a bit of stock in abduction.

From what I have read there has been a lot of cctv/dash cam footage seized which would realistically take possibly hundreds of hours for police to painstakingly comb through.

The police have no reason not to say the community don’t need to worry about an abductor. Think about it, even if they know she was 100% abducted, they can be pretty confident that no one is returning to snatch another kid with such a large police presence in the area.

The 3am vehicle can be explained away innocently, but I feel like if it was just old bud down the road heading off at sparrow fart to get in some prime time reeling, or someone leaving to get to their next destination by day break, that person would have come forward by now. Highly unlikely that if that person is innocent they haven’t heard about this case.
Daybreak?, you mean Sundown, the next day. If the car left at 3am, the only place it could get to by daybreak would be Carnarvon. No where else with 2.5 hrs of there. The reason I leave Eucla for instance at 3am is to get to Perth before the sun goes down as it's an 18 hr drive. Likewise it'd be a good 12 to 14hr drive from the blowholes to Perth. Probably longer if stopping along the way, or going through to the Mandurah end of Perth. Starting times are always measured by getting to somewhere by sundown over here. Vast distances of over 12hrs driving is normal in WA. Unless you're doing the tourist thing and getting to somewhere before it gets too hot to do anything. It'd be vital to know which direction that car went, since the driver hasn't appeared to of come forward to offer an innocent explanation

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The 3am vehicle can be explained away innocently

WAPOL would obviously be investigating whether it might have been Cleo's parent's vehicle. Or someone on an early hours rendezvous meetup with one, or both of Cleo's parents somewhere in the vicinity of their campsite.

'The search for Cleo Smith has been suspended in Western Australia’s north due to bad weather.
Ground and aircrews were stood down in some areas on Tuesday morning after it was deemed too unsafe to continue searching in the consistent heavy wind and rain.'

Also I would've thought if it was a dingo, surely there'd be some evidence somewhere within that search area of an animal attack. Blood, torn fabric from sleeping bag or clothing etc.

Didn't trackers in the Azaria Chamberlain disappearance find blood and possibly some other evidence of a dingo attack but kept quiet about it because they didn't want a dingo cull? I think Lindy also said they'd been able to hear dingoes on previous nights so knew there were plenty around

The dingoes around Uluru at that time were much like at Fraser Island now, very visible and partially tamed from tourists feeding them. I find the story about the trackers ignoring evidence unlikely, only ever heard that they did their best.

More information posted today
Extracts
Insp. Munday also refused to confirm or deny reports some campers heard the sound of a car skidding as it took off from the area about 3am on Saturday or whether police suspected Cleo had been abducted.
Some more background info on this sad disappearance of Cleo Smith contained in the below which is front and a 2 page spread in today's 'West'.

'Cleo’s mum moved to Carnarvon in January 2019 before meeting her current partner.
The mum of two is a local eyelash and eyebrow technician with a soap and candle-making side business.
She and her partner, Mr Gliddon, bought a house for their growing family in April.'

'Cleo’s stepdad is a keen fisherman who regularly shares his impressive catches on social media.'

'“She is an intellectually advanced little girl,” said a family friend.
“She is a smart little girl and she would not have wandered.”'
Essentially the same story. same reporter. Perth Now is the website of the Sunday Times, which is now under the same ownership as The West Australian.
The later usually pay walls articles, which you can read for free on Perth Now.

Would an intellectually advanced infant possibly get up and go looking for her parents outside of the tent, if she woke up at night and found that her parents were not in the tent?
I think we need to remember this is a small child, she could have been half asleep and disorientated, forgotten where she was or even inquisitive and decided to go on a little adventure. Also the night would have been quite light with a partial full moon. I know for sure I could not trust any of my children not to wander off for any of the above reasons.
In saying that, even adult can become disorientated when sleeping some where different. I dont think we can rule out her leaving the tent on her own, what happened after that has multiple scenarios.

I think we need to remember this is a small child, she could have been half asleep and disorientated, forgotten where she was or even inquisitive and decided to go on a little adventure. Also the night would have been quite light with a partial full moon. I know for sure I could not trust any of my children not to wander off for any of the above reasons.
In saying that, even adult can become disorientated when sleeping some where different. I dont think we can rule out her leaving the tent on her own, what happened after that has multiple scenarios.
Yep, my 5 year old is sharp as a tack. He has also been a runner / climber since he was born. Multiple times has snuck out of the house to visit neighbours. It's a game to him although he is starting to grow out of it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could have just been mum saying "go to sleep Cleo" from the other side of the tent.

See below to partially end/fuel the speculation on this.

'“What I can confirm is that the four of them (the family) were in the family tent, Cleo was spoken to about 1.30am when she woke up to get a drink, everyone went back to sleep,” he said.'

See below to partially end/fuel the speculation on this.

'“What I can confirm is that the four of them (the family) were in the family tent, Cleo was spoken to about 1.30am when she woke up to get a drink, everyone went back to sleep,” he said.'
Perfect, thanks. Shame the article I was reading didn't state this.

Most of this doesn’t make sense. It’s highly unlikely a predator of the level capable of abducting and possibly killing a small child would just happen to be at a remote campsite unnoticed then removing a child in a sleeping bag unnoticed, then driving off unnoticed. It’s unlikely a person even capable of that would be unknown to Police. You’d assume WAPOL would comb through the offenders register to see who was within a 500km vicinity and have probably already gone to see them for ‘welfare checks’.

You could almost rule the abduction scenario out.

As far as wandering off, that seems unlikely too. Small child, (assuming) bare feet, dragging a full size sleeping bag and nothing after days of land, air and you’d think sea searches. No sign. So you could rule that out too.

You’d think too, if it was an unfortunate accident where perhaps the stepfather ran the child over reversing his 4wd then panicked, this would be known by now (fibres on the bullbar etc). If that played out, if he was a normal person, he would have cracked by now, so you can probably rule that out too.

Police would be long lining the stepfather by now wouldn’t they? By that, I mean tapping his phone, going through bank records, just looking for a glitch.

Worst case for WAPOL if they arrested and formally interrogated the stepfather is being able to at least rule him out.

That scenario playing out would hardly be surprising right about now?

Most of this doesn’t make sense. It’s highly unlikely a predator of the level capable of abducting and possibly killing a small child would just happen to be at a remote campsite unnoticed then removing a child in a sleeping bag unnoticed, then driving off unnoticed. It’s unlikely a person even capable of that would be unknown to Police. You’d assume WAPOL would comb through the offenders register to see who was within a 500km vicinity and have probably already gone to see them for ‘welfare checks’.

In general we are dealing with an unlikely or exceptional scenario anyway. Thing is, what if it is a first time offender or someone who has never been caught?
Plenty of unsolved missing children cases....

It’s possible it’s a first timer or someone that hasn’t been caught yet, you’d agree, that’s pretty unlikely though.

You’d think too, if it was an unfortunate accident where perhaps the stepfather ran the child over reversing his 4wd then panicked, this would be known by now (fibres on the bullbar etc).
If there was an accident, IMO, more likely she died in the tent. Possibly in the sleeping bag in the tent.Or even in the sleeping bag outside of the tent. Or at least was unwell in the sleeping bag at some point that night.
Hence a possible reason why the sleeping bag is missing (to destroy evidence of what happened in this type of scenario).

I'm just not sure about the whole 'accident covering' theory. Seems unlikely people would cover up a genuine accident. To what end?

You could almost rule the abduction scenario out.

As far as wandering off, that seems unlikely too. Small child, (assuming) bare feet, dragging a full size sleeping bag and nothing after days of land, air and you’d think sea searches. No sign. So you could rule that out too.

You’d think too, if it was an unfortunate accident where perhaps the stepfather ran the child over reversing his 4wd then panicked, this would be known by now (fibres on the bullbar etc). If that played out, if he was a normal person, he would have cracked by now, so you can probably rule that out too.

Police would be long lining the stepfather by now wouldn’t they? By that, I mean tapping his phone, going through bank records, just looking for a glitch.

Worst case for WAPOL if they arrested and formally interrogated the stepfather is being able to at least rule him out.

That scenario playing out would hardly be surprising right about now?
The father has been in for questioning and ATM the Police are not enlarging on that interview, but we are left to surmise he is not under suspicion.
In each and every scenario (IMHO), it always comes back to the sleeping bag. WHY is it missing?

I'm just not sure about the whole 'accident covering' theory. Seems unlikely people would cover up a genuine accident. To what end?

Parent(s) not present in a property (or tent) at night when an accident happens to a child in their care, might fear (founded or unfounded) losing custody of their remaining children, as a result of any claims of poor/negligent parenting, if the truth were to be known.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back