Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good point and I agree, just feel that maybe 6 months on the LTI without any pressure to return may have been the best thing for both player and club.

As others have said, we tend to keep players on the active list throughout long term injuries, gutting our vfl team and lessening the chances of us picking up the next Marion Pickett. I don’t feel like our list is so strong that we can continually pass up opportunities to potentially improve it, even if it is unlikely that one of these players turns out to make the grade.

my thoughts are exactly. We missed out on the chance to pick up someone like Sydney Stack, while Jacobs was on the list. He really should’ve been in it on the LTI at the end of 2018.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm sure we won't see him pull on the jumper again and am more than happy with hiw we have looked after him. Such a s**t thing.

Anthony Furey, Darren Harris, J.Smith Kevin Bryant, there's so many guys that got cut down in their prime and you got it right, it's a s**t thing. It just becomes about them being ok in general :)

Cyber_punk

Doomer
Feb 16, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Damn sad, our W % with him in the side was very high even if it was not many games.

Time for both parties to move on.

As much as its horrible to hear there is no reason now Why he shouldn't be on the LTI. We're wasting a spot that could be given to a youngster. If
Makes no sense to me - has the club commented as to why this hasn’t happened?

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
I Know. Because we are gutless.

He should’ve been our final pick in the 2018 draft, but we went the safe option taking Crocker as a father son despite him hardly playing a game in his top age year.

smart stuff.

yep agreed - let’s home this changes under Rawlings

Emergence of Jy and Dumont as two way runners and the new gameplan under Shaw could possibly spell the official end for Ben.

I’ve seen enough of a sample size under Shaw to see there is now less reliance on Ben to nullify the opposition as our pressure rating has lifted to the point we can absorb opposition attacks and are well equipped to handle their prime movers.

Quite sad, as we’ve been reliant on him since his emergence in 2015 but the days of waiting for a player who can’t get on the park are well and truly gone post covid19.

We may have seen the last of Ben for sure now.

Emergence of Jy and Dumont as two way runners and the new gameplan under Shaw could possibly spell the official end for Ben.

I’ve seen enough of a sample size under Shaw to see there is now less reliance on Ben to nullify the opposition as our pressure rating has lifted to the point we can absorb opposition attacks and are well equipped to handle their prime movers.

Quite sad, as we’ve been reliant on him since his emergence in 2015 but the days of waiting for a player who can’t get on the park are well and truly gone post covid19.

TBH I reckon we could have a starting line up that included Sam Power and Liam Anthony and we'd be just as close to the end for Jacobs.

We should make it unofficial and just have him start playing more of a coaching role. I mean we're paying him in this constrained environment may as well make it work more for each party.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
TBH I reckon we could have a starting line up that included Sam Power and Liam Anthony and we'd be just as close to the end for Jacobs.

We should make it unofficial and just have him start playing more of a coaching role. I mean we're paying him in this constrained environment may as well make it work more for each party.
Time to move him to the rookie list. Support him in everyway we can and give him as much chance to get up however, we are not the britherhood of at lawrence

Yep. Stoppage coach if he can do it healthily and without discomfort is the go for mine

Clearly Ben is struggling and I honestly feel for him. Really horrible outcome for him let alone the club.

FWIW though, irrespective of the team makeup and Shaw I have no doubt whatsoever that this guy fully fit could command a role in our side easily today. Was a gun and on track to be a very good player - not just a tagger - for a long time. Massive engine, massive footy brain. Would easily hold a place in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's finished, we need to move on, of course we need to provide all the financial support and continue to study him for future scientific endeavour.

Clearly Ben is struggling and I honestly feel for him. Really horrible outcome for him let alone the club.

FWIW though, irrespective of the team makeup and Shaw I have no doubt whatsoever that this guy fully fit could command a role in our side easily today. Was a gun and on track to be a very good player - not just a tagger - for a long time. Massive engine, massive footy brain. Would easily hold a place in the side.
Ofcourse. A fit and firing Jacobs and Id be lining up for finals tickets next week.
However the notion of us having to wait for him to come good for us to BE good has dissipated.
Which means his job security is considerably weaker than it was in 2019. ******* sad but Goldi, Higgo and Tarrant aren’t getting any younger.
Was anyone ever held to account for the sling tackle that has ruined his career and life?
What works against him is that he played on Danger a week later, missed the bye and 2 weeks before playing his last game against the Gold Coast. The original incident might be worth investigating for himself in litigation against the league which if he finds himself off the list come 2021 I have no doubt whatsoever he’ll take up.
As we know you can’t sue your boss’s rep whilst your still working for them.

Coming up to 26 months since his initial injury. As this season comes to a massive road block when will he announce his retirement?
We surely need to start planning for 2021 but to think that after we played the Gold Coast on July 8th 2018 he would never take the field again.

Whats more amazing is the non action.
I have never ever seen a players contract run down due to injury with no cure. This club is cursed or just mediocre. One or the other.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Coming up to 26 months since his initial injury. As this season comes to a massive road block when will he announce his retirement?
We surely need to start planning for 2021 but to think that after we played the Gold Coast on July 8th 2018 he would never take the field again.

Whats more amazing is the non action.
I have never ever seen a players contract run down due to injury with no cure. This club is cursed or just mediocre. One or the other.
Or they are know he will never play again, and are helping him get his life back on track because we actually give a s**t about him.

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Or they are know he will never play again, and are helping him get his life back on track because we actually give a sh*t about him.

LOL what rubbish.

Did Ben give a sh1t about NMFC ?

He wouldnt sign for 1 year, he wanted 2...

In the end, for 2 years, Ben has taken a list spot from another footballer, who could have played and made a difference.

But no, that young footballer didn't get a shot, because we have given that list spot to Ben.

And he didnt play 1 game in 2 years !

He could have taken a 1 yr contact and if he had improved, he would have got a longer term contract.

But no, Ben wanted 2 years.

Not 1 game !

In the end, Ben is not playing, North are sitting second last and have a horrendous injury list.

And Ben has taken the list spot of a junior, who could have made a difference.

LOL what rubbish.

Did Ben give a sh1t about NMFC ?

He wouldnt sign for 1 year, he wanted 2...

In the end, for 2 years, Ben has taken a list spot from another footballer, who could have played and made a difference.

But no, that young footballer didn't get a shot, because we have given that list spot to Ben.

And he didnt play 1 game in 2 years !

He could have taken a 1 yr contact and if he had improved, he would have got a longer term contract.

But no, Ben wanted 2 years.

Not 1 game !

In the end, Ben is not playing, North are sitting second last and have a horrendous injury list.

And Ben has taken the list spot of a junior, who could have made a difference.
Maybe it's time to put the phone down and have a good night's sleep Mr Hartung.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back