Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What's the diagnosis?
Not sure yet but heard there was big debate whether it was worth taking Ben to the hub or not but he was adamant if this treatment works, he could be back this season but club is very less optimistic with that timeline. Club would be happy if he started full contact training in the next 6 weeks.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Not sure yet but heard there was big debate whether it was worth taking Ben to the hub or not but he was adamant if this treatment works, he could be back this season but club is very less optimistic with that timeline. Club would be happy if he started full contact training in the next 6 weeks.

If lists are cut - Ben will be gone.Even if he starts training again.
Would be crazy for the club to risk another hit causing more damage.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I suspect our role has been to manage him as a human being, not as a player, as best as possible.

His is likely to be cut, but it really puts kicking a bit of inflated leather around in perspective compared to his health issues.

Last edited:

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Played a few good games as a tagger but just one of the many one paced plodders on our list. Even worse is that he can‘t get on the field. Of course he wants to stay in the system, who wouldn’t, but time to go. We need to be serious about rebuilding and not be giving players years on end to get themselves right. Pro sport can be harsh sometimes unfortunately.

Shocking and unnecessarily cruel post.

I always wonder how much heart some of the people that are so shitty about our players actually have.

Jacobs missed games cos he put his body on the line for the club, and our entertainment, and people are bitching about him being looked after by the club? *.

Or they are know he will never play again, and are helping him get his life back on track because we actually give a sh*t about him.
I was actually referencing his next step post footy if you read the post above mine and a possible assistants role in the first part of my latest post.
Doesn’t make sense to delay the inevitable. And yes as can see I’ve posted many a time how terrible this is but haven’t seen many from yourself. But way to view a post a negative. Guess thats on you.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This club is cursed or just mediocre. One or the other.

When I look at all the players we missed through father / son due to not enough games I feel like the club is cursed.

Kelly, a pack of Brayshaws, Spargo (to a lesser extent), career ending injury to JWS, Blakey ends up in Sydney's zone......and the list goes on!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I always wonder how much heart some of the people that are so shitty about our players actually have.

Imagine an ants a-hole...............then imagine something smaller again.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Played a few good games as a tagger but just one of the many one paced plodders on our list. Even worse is that he can‘t get on the field. Of course he wants to stay in the system, who wouldn’t, but time to go. We need to be serious about rebuilding and not be giving players years on end to get themselves right. Pro sport can be harsh sometimes unfortunately.
Maybe when we're considering someone who may bear a lifetime disability for the privilege of playing for the club, we could ease up on the pejorative language like 'one paced plodders'? Just a little more respect?

Last edited:
Jacobs should not be on our list. I don't mean we cut him adrift - just find something else for him. Create another job - I don't know Ben well so not sure what that would be but to have him on the list unable to play is just ridiculous when we could be blooding a youngster. Embrace him - help him - support him. But in another role.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I was actually referencing his next step post footy if you read the post above mine and a possible assistants role in the first part of my latest post.
Doesn’t make sense to delay the inevitable. And yes as can see I’ve posted many a time how terrible this is but haven’t seen many from yourself. But way to view a post a negative. Guess thats on you.

That was a strawmanning of your post.

You clearly spoke from a football perspective and that Jacobs' prospects of playing senior football again have been a very obvious long term TBC for a long while now. So it's been strange he's still held a 2 year spot on the main list.

He could've been moved to the rookie list / LTI list last year without removing moral support for him as a human being in any way whatsoever.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Chill the heck out bro, I misread. Apols.

TurnoverMerchant

Vanilla Campaigner
Jul 11, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Ben Jacobs is my favourite North player. It hurt so much when I heard that his personal life was in danger. I still can't believe that his condition hasn't been cured yet. I hope that he gets better because when he was on that field, he gave his all for the jumper and that's all we can ask as supporters. Get well soon Ben.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Interesting and good to know. I said earlier in this thread that neurological conditions can turn really quickly so here's hoping he gets back to full health, for his sake, even if he never plays again.

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Jacobs missed games cos he put his body on the line for the club, and our entertainment, and people are bitching about him being looked after by the club? fu**.
They aren't supporters. They are fans. They want to win but they dont give a s**t about the club or the people in it. They are at every club.

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Jacobs should not be on our list. I don't mean we cut him adrift - just find something else for him. Create another job - I don't know Ben well so not sure what that would be but to have him on the list unable to play is just ridiculous when we could be blooding a youngster. Embrace him - help him - support him. But in another role.
I'm speaking in ignorance, but I wonder whether we kept him on our list so that we could continue to pay Ben the full extent of his contract. I don't know if we could have done that if we rookied him.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's a honest refleciton, jacobs at the end of the day is a pretty good tagger, as good as ling, baker, shaun hart?

He would have been yes. He was the best tagger we have seen in the AFL by far. Some of his shutdown roles was absolutely ridiculous. This is while developing his attacking / disposal side

So ******* gutted to see him go out like this. Would have played at north until he retired.

Hope he can stick around the club

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He doesnt need to be on a fat contract if he is unable to play for us again, that does not mean he is void of care and responsibility. How many games has BJ played for us?

64 games! All this rubbish “oh he put his head on the line for us” he’s played 64 games for us! Over 8 ******* years

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
What annoys me most is he was clearly going to be out this season but the club refused to put him on the LTI. We could've and then picked up Tippas cousin to our list. Instead we're Jacobs down with no replacement and a big injury list to begin with

Back