Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Remove this Banner Ad

What annoys me most is he was clearly going to be out this season but the club refused to put him on the LTI. We could've and then picked up Tippas cousin to our list. Instead we're Jacobs down with no replacement and a big injury list to begin with

All true in hindsight. But at the start of the season, it wasn't known that "he was clearly going to be out this season".

The silver lining this season is that McDonald has stepped up, while he might never get to jacob's level but then again jacob can't play defense like mcdonald. The key thing is McDonald is now able to fulfill a role that has been missing since jacobs went down. The future looks really good for us with the half a dozen elite youth we will have by the end of 2021, just need to gut the useless 26 - 29 y.o types.

All true in hindsight. But at the start of the season, it wasn't known that "he was clearly going to be out this season".
I think it was as clear as day. And the thing with LTI is that he could have come off it if he miraculously turned it around.

It's been NMFCwelfare for some of these players for the last few years.

There has to be more to it regarding damages liability etc. He's never been placed on the LTI, we've had the opportunity to replace him in mid-season drafts every single year etc.

We've got a total of 176 games out of a total of a possible 506 games from Jacobs, Garner, EVW, Daw and Wood in the last 5 years years. Probably $2.2m+ P.A tied up in cap space also.

All of these guys have different circumstances, but * me....

Most of these guys got decent extensions even with that injury history.

It's not as if we were throwing gold overboard to keep them Pykie.

It's just an outcome of the circumstances of undertaking a significant rebuild, and I don't see any great "heads must roll" aspect to it.

It's not as if we were throwing gold overboard to keep them Pykie.

It's just an outcome of the circumstances of undertaking a significant rebuild, and I don't see any great "heads must roll" aspect to it.

I agree, I'm not bearing pitchforks.

I'm just lamenting the situation.

I could literally see all of them going at the end of the year. They are all out of contract.

Daw may be the only survivor purely for KPP cover.

As much as I want to keep EVW, next year is his 7th year on the list. We'd be committing the exact same mistakes as we are currently lamenting for the others.

Jacobs, Wood and Garner are gone imo. All were on decent contracts to, particularly Wood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could literally see all of them going at the end of the year. They are all out of contract.

As much as I want to keep EVW, next year is his 7th year on the list. We'd be committing the exact same mistakes as we are currently lamenting for the others.

Jacobs, Wood and Garner are gone imo. All were on decent contracts to, particularly Wood.

The heads must roll thing was more directed at the angry mob than yourself Pykie, as you should know by now how they like to grab an offhand comment and run with it for a sacrifice. :thumbsu:

We've just had shithouse luck with many of our developing "keepers" during the transition.

As for your list assesment, I think you are pretty much spot on. I'd keep Taylor for another year if he can get back and finish well, Maj is 50/50, Ben is unfortunately done, and I reckon Mason should relocate for his own sake in to a environment that suits him better.

EVW is a puzzle. I'd err on the side of giving him another year & I would delist Ahern before any of those blokes aside from Ben.

The heads must roll thing was more directed at the angry mob than yourself Pykie, as you should know by now how they like to grab an offhand comment and run with it for a sacrifice. :thumbsu:

We've just had shithouse luck with many of our developing "keepers" during the transition.

As for your list assesment, I think you are pretty much spot on. I'd keep Taylor for another year if he can get back and finish well, Maj is 50/50, Ben is unfortunately done, and I reckon Mason should relocate for his own sake in to a environment that suits him better.

EVW is a puzzle. I'd err on the side of giving him another year & I would delist Ahern before any of those blokes aside from Ben.

I'm kind of hoping they reduce the list sizes, as I don't fancy replacing a whole heap of players with speculative late picks.

I can see as many as 10 potential de listing's from those OOC which is a huge turnover. This isn't factoring in any retirements or trades either.

Purely non-best 22 types OOC.

I daresay we will have to supplement the draft with some cheaper trade/Fa types in their mid 20's to fill out the list.

It's going to be a long few years.

Over the past 6 or 7 years how many potential games played have we missed just from these guys?

When year in, year out we are picking from a list of 38 while everyone else has 43 to choose from it's gotta have knock on effects

Over the past 6 or 7 years how many potential games played have we missed just from these guys?

When year in, year out we are picking from a list of 38 while everyone else has 43 to choose from it's gotta have knock on effects

Did you read 2 posts above?

Around 330 games is the answer.

I hate that I agree about Ahern but it seems whatever he had is gone. I was really excited about him after his first few games, he looks lost now. Since the season is cooked I would like to see him get a decent run on ball for a stretch of games before just to be sure though.

It's been NMFCwelfare for some of these players for the last few years.

There has to be more to it regarding damages liability etc. He's never been placed on the LTI, we've had the opportunity to replace him in mid-season drafts every single year etc.

We've got a total of 176 games out of a total of a possible 506 games from Jacobs, Garner, EVW, Daw and Wood in the last 5 years years. Probably $2.2m+ P.A tied up in cap space also.

All of these guys have different circumstances, but fu** me....

I'm tipping many other clubs might be in the same boat. I doubt if we are alone in this respect.

A very small sample size I know but I seem to remember some of us were hoping that we would get Nadia Cockatoo. Thank goodness we didn't. Geelong have carried him for a few years now for almost zero reward.

I'm tipping many other clubs might be in the same boat. I doubt if we are alone in this respect.

A very small sample size I know but I seem to remember some of us were hoping that we would get Nadia Cockatoo. Thank goodness we didn't. Geelong have carried him for a few years now for almost zero reward.
It's actually quite ironic you mentioned Nakia. All the draft talk was that Geelong would be going for Sam Durdin and Nakia to us. Nakia ended up playing a belter and he ended up becoming the bolter. Now they both could be on the chopping block.

It's actually quite ironic you mentioned Nakia. All the draft talk was that Geelong would be going for Sam Durdin and Nakia to us. Nakia ended up playing a belter and he ended up becoming the bolter. Now they both could be on the chopping block.
We probably got the better end of that. At least with Durdin he's been available to play, and we can make up our minds to keep or delist. If we had Nakia, we'd be all "but wait, he's a first round draft pick, we gotta keep him, what if his hamstrings DO ever get stronger than tissue paper??" and never let him go

We probably got the better end of that. At least with Durdin he's been available to play, and we can make up our minds to keep or delist. If we had Nakia, we'd be all "but wait, he's a first round draft pick, we gotta keep him, what if his hamstrings DO ever get stronger than tissue paper??" and never let him go

Would've been a good understudy for Garner when you put it like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back