Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I'd assume that we could replace Ben's contract with a reasonable player at the trade table.

He would have to be on $600K.

Wood is on $500k as well.

I daresay the club will be wanting to drop back down to 92.5% of the TPP to bank the cash as a result of the 2020 off field disaster though.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Heartbreaking for this poor guy (and for us too).

He wasn’t just a good tagger, he was the best.

Our win/loss was considerably better when BJ played. Who knows how far we could’ve gone the last couple of years if he was playing.

The way 2016 and 2018 turned to s**t after he got injured is too hard to ignore as a supporter.
You just cant fathom the impact this one player had on the fortunes of the team. Waitey was the same.

His absence caused a ripple effect through the team as our pressure dropped across the park, we started to get killed on the spread and the opposition prime mover locked themselves in for 30 and 3.

The way 2016 and 2018 turned to sh*t after he got injured is too hard to ignore as a supporter.
You just cant fathom the impact this one player had on the fortunes of the team. Waitey was the same.

His absence caused a ripple effect through the team as our pressure dropped across the park, we started to get killed on the spread and the opposition prime mover locked themselves in for 30 and 3.

Now I miss Waitey

Now I miss Waitey
His retirement never sat right with me. I think we all still believe he had plenty left to give. The job wasnt finished.

So much should have gone right through those years, even in 2018 - and it didnt.
Thats the one thing our game is lacking. Contested marking. How good when he or Dish would take it 1-out, just knowing they had their opponent done for.
Thats standing jump and mark at its highest point. And just the clinical finishing. We were dangerous inside 50 and I miss being a threat inside 50.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His retirement never sat right with me. I think we all still believe he had plenty left to give. The job wasnt finished.

So much should have gone right through those years, even in 2018 - and it didnt.
Thats the one thing our game is lacking. Contested marking. How good when he or Dish would take it 1-out, just knowing they had their opponent done for.
Thats standing jump and mark at its highest point. And just the clinical finishing. We were dangerous inside 50 and I miss being a threat inside 50.

How many games to Waitey play for us? What a sensational player. Tough too. But those hands.

How many games to Waitey play for us? What a sensational player. Tough too. But those hands.
60 out of 92.
125 goals.
Really only played the full year in 2015.
The other 3 he didn’t play a full year and we tried to manage him through 2018 successfully when we were winning early on but as per usual after the bye we turned to crap.
What could have been.

I mean just look at that. Brown brings the ball to ground and Boomer, Wellsy and Higgins are front and centre o_Oo_Oo_O
Higgins is the 3rd banana ffs.

This team could have been anything :(

Roo Beauty

Norm Smith Medallist
May 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I mean just look at that. Brown brings the ball to ground and Boomer, Wellsy and Higgins are front and centre o_Oo_Oo_O
Higgins is the 3rd banana ffs.

This team could have been anything :(
Started 9-0, finished 3-12. The back half of that year was an absolute horror show, topped off by sacking Boomer 3 weeks before the finals which broke me.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nothing against the guy and he's been a good player for us when fit but there's no way that he's coming back. Going to get a farewell and delisted at the end of the year. Better clubs would have done it sooner and kept the list spot for a new player but North is sentimental. Obviously club would support him off the field and into the rest of his life so that's not an issue. Nuffies on facebook commenting that they cant wait for him to come back drive me nuts.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’s at least at training, you can see him in the froggy interview vid. Wearing runners while the others are in footy boots though so doubt he’s participating in drills.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
We would be around that now wouldnt we?

Not if we were front loading contracts up to 100-110% like you are able (like we were apparently doing).

As detestable as it is, a major chunk of the "warchest" we've flung at free agents might be injected back into the football club to clear debt as we absorb the front loading into the football department and just drop back to 92.5%.

That 7.5% is worth $950k P.A.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not if we were front loading contracts up to 100-110% like you are able (like we were apparently doing).

As detestable as it is, a major chunk of the "warchest" we've flung at free agents might be injected back into the football club to clear debt as we absorb the front loading into the football department and just drop back to 92.5%.

Im aware of front loaded contracts, thats manipulating the cap, thats not what we are paying.. im sure our list is worth about 90% of the cap and so be it if we need to fund ourselves. Im completely fine with draft, cleaning out the deadweight and moving forward.. im over the hyperbole every ******* year by nuffy ******* oxygen thieving “journalists”

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’s at least at training, you can see him in the froggy interview vid. Wearing runners while the others are in footy boots though so doubt he’s participating in drills.
Yeah whenever I've watched them at arden st he's been around for at least some of the sessions. Not training or anything but I think he likes being in the atmosphere and having a chat etc. Remember someone saying he gets headaches when he goes for runs etc so there's not a lot he can do.

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne

Money for the salary cap comes from the AFL, so I wouldn't think that we could divert money from the salary cap to the operations of the club.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Didnt know that.. all of it does? So the AFL pay everyone’s wages?
Yeah that's why clubs have a salary cap. Membership fees etc may go a bit into it but AFL guarantees the 13mil or so each team has for salaries each year. That's how clubs who are in a deficit are able to operate. The AFL covers the salary cap for players and also a majority of the 'soft cap' that's used for coaches, support staff etc. That's why some coaches from each team got stood down etc because they couldn't afford to pay everyone under covid19 conditions.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Had one more year in him too I thought.. But wouldnt have been blessed with the new Souve
I thought he had something similar to Thompson where he could have played some of the season but not all and had conversations about it with BS. They had decided that if he couldn't say he'd be fit for the season then it was best that he retired.

Back