Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Remove this Banner Ad

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Had one more year in him too I thought.. But wouldnt have been blessed with the new Souve

Yep I think Waite had another year (did he retire not forced? I can't remember).

On that, I also think Spud and Boomer had one season left too (especially Firrito as played a really solid year)

NDS was already finished the year before, and Petrie was time to go imo and WC gave a shot which was fine.

But it's all in the past so we move on.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah that's why clubs have a salary cap. Membership fees etc may go a bit into it but AFL guarantees the 13mil or so each team has for salaries each year. That's how clubs who are in a deficit are able to operate. The AFL covers the salary cap for players and also a majority of the 'soft cap' that's used for coaches, support staff etc. That's why some coaches from each team got stood down etc because they couldn't afford to pay everyone under covid19 conditions.
Sooo, they technically arent paying for it then? Because inevitably they want the money back if its loaned to cover players salaries or attempt to relocate you?

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep I think Waite had another year (did he retire not forced? I can't remember).

On that, I also think Spud and Boomer had one season left too (especially Firrito as played a really solid year)

NDS was already finished the year before, and Petrie was time to go imo and WC gave a shot which was fine.

But it's all in the past so we move on.
Of course its in the past.. but yes, My opinion was if Swallow stayed on the list then boomer should too. spud hung em up and so did W80. Spud was spent

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No that is completely incorrect.
Are you sure? Which part isn’t correct?
i remember Spuds farewell speech at the BnF.. He said he is spent.. not my words dude. Im pretty sure he hung em up himself
Swallow was done the same year, should have been let go. Or, should have kept boomer.
W80 retired himself

Last edited:

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sooo, they technically arent paying for it then? Because inevitably they want the money back if its loaned to cover players salaries or attempt to relocate you?
I mean when you buy a membership you technically aren't giving money to your club; you're giving it to the AFL then it gets passed along to your club.

Roo Beauty

Norm Smith Medallist
May 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Spud was in the best form of any of the four players and left with the most grace. True champion.
His last game in Melbourne against GWS was awesome. I was of the opinion he and Boomer should’ve stayed on, Boomer especially. Man I’ll never forget seeing the news flash up on my phone. Gut wrenching.

Dish and Dal were pretty cooked.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Are you sure? Which part isn’t correct?
i remember Spuds farewell speech at the BnF.. He said he is spent.. not my words dude. Im pretty sure he hung em up himself
Swallow was done the same year, should have been let go. Or, should have kept boomer.
W80 retired himself

He said that as Spud was all class (best of all 4 upon news imo) with his delisting to avoid attention.

He was not spent at all as was very solid that year.

He was very unlucky to be delisted imo. I also have him as one of my favorite North players of all time so yes, maybe I'm a tad biased.

W80 fair enough then, no worries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'm convinced this is still happening.

Sure no longer paper bags but multiple other ways to get players that clubs otherwise couldn't afford.

Of course it's still happening.

Do you think Neil Balme got on a flight to N.Z. with a briefcase full of socks because Dusty had run out of them?

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He said that as Spud was all class (best of all 4 upon news imo) with his delisting to avoid attention.

He was not spent at all as was very solid that year.

He was very unlucky to be delisted imo. I also have him as one of my favorite North players of all time so yes, maybe I'm a tad biased.

W80 fair enough then, no worries.
Im not sure your accurate, I had a chat with him during pre season. I think he had it in his mind it was going to be his last year.. you might be right you might be wrong.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm convinced this is still happening.

Sure no longer paper bags but multiple other ways to get players that clubs otherwise couldn't afford.
Im 100% convinced the trip Balmy did to NZ the weekend before Dusty went to see his ol man, there was a few set of Jeep keys and a fat wad of cash in his brief case

His retirement never sat right with me. I think we all still believe he had plenty left to give. The job wasnt finished.

So much should have gone right through those years, even in 2018 - and it didnt.
Thats the one thing our game is lacking. Contested marking. How good when he or Dish would take it 1-out, just knowing they had their opponent done for.
Thats standing jump and mark at its highest point. And just the clinical finishing. We were dangerous inside 50 and I miss being a threat inside 50.

I miss W80 as much as the next person. However, it was ultimately a dead end street. We were never going to get more than 15 games out of him in his latter seasons. To compound that, he was always going to keep other younger players out once he was ready to return. I reckon Larkey might not have broken into the team yet if we had persisted with Waite. 2016 would have been his year (and Jacobs’). I reckon Brad has recurring nightmares about that season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rawlings: Ben Jacobs’ situation is more about his wellbeing. He’s not at a level where he can get through a main training yet. He’s still a fair way from playing football.

Stick a fork in then. May as well announce his retirement now
Can you tell me who exactly benefits by announcing his retirement/delisting now? Cos it's not Ben and its not North.

So it is just to appease your morbid curiosity and impatience?

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With 2/3rds of the year gone, and he still can't complete a full training session, why is he still on the list ?

Lets starting planning for 2021....All the best Ben, but we got a football club to run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back