Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Remove this Banner Ad

People confuse "run with" with speed when referring to Jacobs I think.

He's able to run with players because he has a massive tank and they can't run him into the ground. Not because he will ever place in the gf sprint.

Would rather Jacobs instead of wright as we need more speed back there.
Whyd you have to post that for?
Now the Jacobs to back pocket chat won't stop all year

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
People confuse "run with" with speed when referring to Jacobs I think.

He's able to run with players because he has a massive tank and they can't run him into the ground. Not because he will ever place in the gf sprint.

Yep.

He's a big diesel engine.

Jacobs lacks the speed and agility to play on nippy small forwards.

He's get smashed.

Nonsense. Defence is all about awareness, positioning and reading the play. Speed is a bonus, and certainly hasn't helped Atley who has routinely been carved up by quick forwards.

He's played a couple of years carving up mids quicker than him, which proves my point.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just on Jacobs does he play run-with roles? If he does, is he going to be fit enough to take on Danger in round 2?

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Just on Jacobs does he play run-with roles? If he does, is he going to be fit enough to take on Danger in round 2?

Have a look at who he has beaten in the past.

Gun tagger when up and about.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have a look at who he has beaten in the past.

Gun tagger when up and about.
Yeap he's definitely a talented player. However I'm more interested in his fitness, as I believe he's been injured this preseason. Also, if he's uninjured, is he automatically best 22 and will definitely play as a tagger and not another role?

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Yeap he's definitely a talented player. However I'm more interested in his fitness, as I believe he's been injured this preseason. Also, if he's uninjured, is he automatically best 22 and will definitely play as a tagger and not another role?
Not sure if we've got a dedicated fantasy football thread, but I suspect that's where this belongs. Regardless, my response would be:

No, I don't think he's automatic best 22. If fully fit, however, he's more likely in than not, given his relative experience (compared to, for example, Dumont and Clarke) and assuming a tagging role awaits. He may be part of the midfield rotation, beyond tagging, as he does get his own ball too, even when tagging, but that remains to be seen.

He's in the middle cohort in terms of age (25/26) alongside the likes of Ziebell, Macmillan, Cunnington, Atley, Brown and Mullett, though with slightly less games (77) due to injury here and at Port Adelaide. I'm assuming while various kids will get more game time, and some will debut, Scott won't want to leave the side bereft of experience. The key issue for BJ is the foot injury and how well, and sustainably, he recovers from it.

Edit: Mods, can we move the Jacobs stuff elsewhere please? (ie out of the Durdin thread)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He's one of the best taggers we've ever seen. Before he got injured he was starting to gain more quality possessions and shutting down the best midfielders to record numbers at the same time

He is a gun and vital to our best 22 when fit

Last edited:

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
whenever I come in first for the day and see a player watch I always think about a update being a another injury or setback :(

Good to see him on the right track. There were some midfielders who killed us when he was gone and we sorely missed him.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
whenever I come in first for the day and see a player watch I always think about a update being a another injury or setback :(

Good to see him on the right track. There were some midfielders who killed us when he was gone and we sorely missed him.

What 'story' are they referring to? Can find anything on the website.

In my view when fit, Jacobs is definitely best 22. Along with injuries to other best 22 players mid season last year, when he/they went down, our stocks went down. He has stitched up or at least substantially quelled some of the best midfielders in the competition. He was absent in that first encounter with Geelong last year if I am not mistaken and had he been out there, in my opinion Dangerfield would not have run rampant like he did.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
What 'story' are they referring to? Can find anything on the website.
Oh I was just speaking in general.

When I come to the board I see player update threads near the top and I always worry that its an injury to the player.

And I see Junker has done one :(

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
In my view when fit, Jacobs is definitely best 22. Along with injuries to other best 22 players mid season last year, when he/they went down, our stocks went down. He has stitched up or at least substantially quelled some of the best midfielders in the competition. He was absent in that first encounter with Geelong last year if I am not mistaken and had he been out there, in my opinion Dangerfield would not have run rampant like he did.
Liked for "quelled"!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back