Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Depends who you listen to.

Some say he is a slowish back flanker with terrible decision making and disposal, others that he is an inside mid with good awareness in traffic and a raking and accurate left boot.

He has had a few issues since he was drafted that have held him back developmentally so hopefully if he does come here he can settle in and get some continuity into his game.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Draft sites describe him as a biggish, slower inside mid with decent skills.

Sounds like a Caddy fall back.

Nothing like that imo.

With development I always saw him as a Heath Scotland type, playing that loosish outside role, with stints up through the middle, also similar to how Burgoyne plays at the Hawks at times.

He could play Sam Gibsons role, but he could also play Jamie McMillans role if that makes sense.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is a in and outside mid who excels when he has time and space. In juniors he was very strong on the inside and he had a good ability to shake off tackles. He lost a lot of his strength In his first year of AFL because of glandular fever.

He has been labelled as a Half back flanker because of on standout game in the Championships where he had over 45 touches.

When he has space he has excellent finishing skills but he hasn't been able to translate his under 18 form into AFL form. It seems the speed of AFL is a bit too much for him at this stage of his development. In saying that he is yet to complete a full pre-season at AFL level.

I hope the club develops him as a wingman, in his juniors he read the play well and he had excellent endurance. If you can get him running to the right spots in space he will hurt the opposition with his skills.

Daz might think otherwise, but I think with a couple of pre-seasons under his belt he could be a real weapon.

Hard_to_Beat

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pykie nailed it.

A Gibbs/Heppell type.

A "quarterback"

I don't see him playing so much in space as an outrider a la Bastinac/Gibson/Anthony.

I see him sitting in behind the clearances/contested situations.

Nothing like that imo.

With development I always saw him as a Heath Scotland type, playing that loosish outside role, with stints up through the middle, also similar to how Burgoyne plays at the Hawks at times.

He could play Sam Gibsons role, but he could also play Jamie McMillans role if that makes sense.
Will be okay then should he and any of our boys get involved in a bar room brawl off season.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Will he be able to come in and release Atley into the middle?

Think the club would be looking at him as a midfield option, not a backman.

I wouldn't be moving Atley for at least 12 months. Guys who can both shut down a dangerous forward and provide attack on the rebound are very valuable.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
A player that Port Adelaide supporters seem to hang a lot of s**t on over the past 12 months. Yes, I read their board a bit. Strangely enough, I think Rodan wouldn't be a bad pick up for 2 years.

This is progress from your standard "Who?" posts regarding any non-North player that hasn't polled 15+ votes on Brownlow night.

LT Smash

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2011
Ogdenville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is progress from your standard "Who?" posts regarding any non-North player that hasn't polled 15+ votes on Brownlow night.

Followed up of course by 2 or 3 years on our list as the fans' favourite whipping boy. Let's hope if the deal gets done that Ben becomes a Byron Pickett/Martin Pike rather than a Sam Power.

Roos29

Team Captain
Dec 13, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
he reminds me of a poor mans dane swan,seems like he could be okay think cunnington in terms of strength,speed and conditioning but plays abit like a young dane swan. Developing off the hb not quick enough to play the gibson role. At worst he'll be a massive spud, but he could play as a back pocket like mcmahon

Aug 28, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Followed up of course by 2 or 3 years on our list as the fans' favourite whipping boy. Let's hope if the deal gets done that Ben becomes a Byron Pickett/Martin Pike rather than a Sam Power.

Unless you have a year like Andrew Swallow then expect to get bagged on Big Footy at some stage regardless.....

FFS, They even managed to bag Ablett for get 53 touches.

That can only equate to......"If you play AFL, You will be bagged" !!!!!

LeFtBehinD

Club Legend
May 28, 2007
Melb
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That can only equate to......"If you play AFL, You will be bagged" !!!!!

Haha, the most truthful statement in this thread.

The thing that has me excited the most is that he choose us! How often are people complaining we aren't able to attract players to our club. We're only going to be giving up Campbell plus a 2nd rounder.. Big win.

Back