Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Jun 17, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors, Arsenal FC
From HS

North Melbourne tagger Ben Jacobs begins light training duties after ongoing health issues

Kate Salemme
Herald Sun
Subscriber only
December 3, 2019 9:47am
Forgotten North Melbourne tagger Ben Jacobs is on the road to recovery after missing the entire 2019 season with concussion-like symptoms.

The Herald Sun reported in June Jacobs has been suffering from a sinusitis problem that has caused issues similar to that experienced by concussion victims, including headaches and face pains.

The 27-year-old hasn’t played since Round 16, 2018.

Signs are positive for a potential return at some stage next year, however, with Jacobs joining in light pre-season training duties.

“It’s a very tough situation for Benny. He’s shown a lot of courage,” new Kangaroos coach Rhyce Shaw told SEN.

“It’s a real hard one. You get a bit emotional talking about it because you see the fight he goes through every single day to get himself up.

“He’s in a really good spot now, he’s starting to do a bit of running, he’s joined in some stationary skills with us and he’s on a path that may take a little bit longer than people want but for me it’s more about his life than footy and he’s getting better, so that’s the main thing.”

Widely considered one of the game’s best shutdown midfielders, Jacobs is contracted at North Melbourne until the end of 2020.

He’s been battling the health issues since suffering whiplash in a sling tackle against Brisbane in Round 11, 2018.

“At the time of the whiplash incident, I remember my neck being really sore,” he told a North Melbourne podcast earlier this year.

“Each week I was like, ‘can I play?’ and I literally did the main session two or three times, expecting to somehow play, and I wasn’t able to for a number of weeks there.

“We treated it like a concussion for the first four or five weeks … (then) I had a sinus operation … and I burnt a nerve off in my neck.”

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I stand by my call, he's not playing.

He'll retire before he plays consistently again. I'd love to be wrong, but this is coming more into focus each month.

My view is that he's done, and anything beyond that is a blessing.

Geez, you'll be remembered in BF folklore if this brave call holds up.

That's hilarious coming from you.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would love to see this guy back out there, but it's becoming less likely with time. If he has recovered why is he not back into full training to build his fitness. Are they taking an extremely careful approach to him and for what reason and how long?
He is far to good a player and footy brain to let go to waste, time to make a decision on him, put him in the mix and see how he pulls up, or get him back coaching, he did a solid job on KH in a short time and would be a top person to have around the young blokes. His game prep. alone is second to none.
Just my opinion.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I'm getting the impression that this is going to be turned in to a soap opera.

Somewhat seeing it Pykie's way (I think it was Pykie) now.

Ben should've been shifted off the main list a while ago and focused on his life/recovery. Without slipping into clicheville - AFL would be secondary.

His primary spot would then go to a player statistically likely to be on a field in 2020.

The Paddy McCartin model really.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
100% agree with Pykie & you.

I just don't want to be inundated with a maelstrom of cheap "feelz" for the next 12 months.

Of course it's a tragedy, and it's an insult to our collective intelligence & character that the spin masters think this needs to be drip fed to us.

BigBadByron

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ben's health is the priority no doubt. If he doesn't play again so be it.

I will say the whole saga and club updates regarding his progress and/or current status has been strange at best and bewildering at worst.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I just find it bewildering that he has never been placed on the LTI list for something they still are vague about diagnosing. IF his health was a priority why not write him off for either of those years, it seems self interest in getting him back has been priority here....

We've essentially been playing 1 list spot short and probably 4% on the salary cap for the previous two years.

When you compound it with other LTI's we've had on the list it's no wonder the VFL team has turned to s**t.

BigBadByron

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't disagree Pykie but i was meaning just from my perspective his health is the priority.

I have no idea why the club has not taken such action and generally the information provided has been bizarre.

Back