Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Meanwhile, the timeframe on Ben Jacobs' return to the field remains unclear after his cursed run over the past three seasons.

The run-with midfielder starred in the first half of 2018 after returning from nearly two years on the sidelines with foot injuries but played only one game after round 12 as he battled lingering concussion-like symptoms that were eventually diagnosed as chronic sinusitis.

Following post-season surgery, Jacobs has completed a good volume of training this summer, but is still experiencing "a bit of congestion and general grogginess".

Scott was unsure whether Jacobs would play in next month's JLT Community Series, saying North was determined to ease him back into games.

"Clearly, as coach, I'd love to have him out working with our other midfielders in our intraclub practice game and JLT games, but our focus is making sure Ben's available for as long as possible this year and we just don't want to risk that," the Roos coach said.

"We think we can get the best of both worlds, by giving Ben as long as possible to feel perfect again while still getting a high volume of work into him.

"He's not feeling 100 per cent in terms of his nose and sinus, but we're assured that will run its course, it just takes time.

"Certainly we wish it was quicker, but we're confident we're on top of it."

I haven't followed this closely did the concussion thing turn out to be sinuses? Like a bad cold? If that's true they wouldn't have to be careful with him would they and he can play much more wasnt it all precautionary as they thought it was concussions

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I haven't followed this closely did the concussion thing turn out to be sinuses? Like a bad cold? If that's true they wouldn't have to be careful with him would they and he can play much more wasnt it all precautionary as they thought it was concussions
I believe he had surgery to correct the sinus issues. It's a bit more involved than a blocked nose or bad cold.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It sounds to me like they haven't got a f*****g clue what the problem is.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It sounds to me like they haven't got a f*****g clue what the problem is.

They didn't for several months, found it was a sinus issue then did surgery.

However, considering he still has symptoms I have to admit I'm a tad confused and worried. Some greater clarity as to his issue, the surgery, and the reason for the current symptoms would be appreciated. Is this going to be an ongoing thing, simply by nature of the ailment? Was the surgery botched? is it a new issue? etc etc.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know a girl who says she has flare-ups for her sinusitis every year - i think probably exacerbated by hayfever. Just saying, it will probably be complicated and never fully resolved. Doesnt necessarily mean he wont play footy again. But i dont think you should expect that the lack of a full recovery is somehow the clubs fault.

Congestion and general grogginess sounds so minor though. When I read that I was like just take a Sudafed and a Panadol and get on with it!

That's what i thought. If they have cleared it of being a serious head issue does it matter? If he is fit to play then he plays no need to hold back for precautionary reason

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really curious to see why he is having so many issues post surgery?

In my early 20’s I was having heaps of ear issues (infections,vertigo ect) after a simple sinus/ear scan it was determined I had chronic sinusitis which was from long term hay fever, that was impacting how my eaustachian tubes drained.

1 hour surgery where they clean out all the polyps and infected sinus tissue and I woke up a new man! After a week I was back to more than 100%.

I know everyone is different but this sounds a bit more complex than chronic sinusitis

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

In my early 20’s I was having heaps of ear issues (infections,vertigo ect) after a simple sinus/ear scan it was determined I had chronic sinusitis which was from long term hay fever, that was impacting how my eaustachian tubes drained.

1 hour surgery where they clean out all the polyps and infected sinus tissue and I woke up a new man! After a week I was back to more than 100%.

I know everyone is different but this sounds a bit more complex than chronic sinusitis
I just hope it’s not something like Ménière’s disease, that s**t can be terrible.

They also do a relatively new technique where they push inflate a balloon up through the eustachian tubes to clear them. Is consider it if mine become worse and it effects my ability to scuba dive.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They also do a relatively new technique where they push inflate a balloon up through the eustachian tubes to clear them. Is consider it if mine become worse and it effects my ability to scuba dive.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I’ve been looking into that. I’ve got all sort of issues with my ears now due to a dive accident

Back