Past #5: Ben Warren - drafted with #69 in '06 ND - delisted at end of 2012 season

SB Dan

Senior List
Oct 29, 2009
Ballarat
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's assumed this fella is a gun, but surely he's max 1 more bad game away from being dropped. I had highest expectations, but may need a spell in the 2s

The Zebra

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Jun 29, 2004
Hung Like a Horse
AFL Club
North Melbourne

SB Dan

Senior List
Oct 29, 2009
Ballarat
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really though, check what he has done. NOTHING! I am a fan (check history), but he must step up.

Compare against other young "under performers", he is worse!

RooHooDoo

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He hasnt been great, but I dont think we can judge anyone on the forward line to harshly at this stage. Really apart from this week it has been a pretty tough place to earn a kick this year.

budge11

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Storm, Manchester City
He's taking the second best defender every week now, it's a pretty hard caper for him at the moment. He's still learning how to use his body as well, did anyone see that hit on Kerr? Flatttened him out for a good 30 seconds or so!

SB Dan

Senior List
Oct 29, 2009
Ballarat
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Gets my vote for silliest thread of the year thus far.....just in front of mine re The Coaches Row :D

Lot's of players have copped it this year. Hansen is FAR better. The thomos has copped some.

C jones has had better return than warren. I want milky to succeed, but 3 games in, he has done absolutely nothing.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Corey Jones has played one game and got six touches. What on earth are you talking about?

SB Dan

Senior List
Oct 29, 2009
Ballarat
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really? Even though he was dropped, C Jones has a history of excellent form. Warren has shown potential, particularly in the preseason, but may need a spell.

He will be a gun, by let's not rush it.

KangaMatt

All Australian
North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Feb 6, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, North Adelaide
The only thing he needs to work on is keeping his feet. He goes to ground a lot. But he is a kid, learning. He is more than doing his bit, and is only going to get better. To suggest he should be or is close to being dropped is rubbish!

breeno

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2008
borough of greens
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
werribee, north ballarat
The only thing he needs to work on is keeping his feet. He goes to ground a lot. But he is a kid, learning. He is more than doing his bit, and is only going to get better. To suggest he should be or is close to being dropped is rubbish!

Especially when he's our third leading goal kicker and has been working quite hard.

Really? Even though he was dropped, C Jones has a history of excellent form. Warren has shown potential, particularly in the preseason, but may need a spell.

He will be a gun, by let's not rush it.

Have you seen the attention he draws from the opposition? We have loose men everywhere when he goes for the footy.

Have you seen his attack on the footy? He pressurises the defenders like no other forward in our team.

May 14, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
C Jones has a history of excellent form.

In 2007. Since then he has had the odd excellent game, but never excellent form.

Warren is kicking a goal a game, and working his arse off to make contests & present a lead. Yes, he has made mistakes & gone to ground too much - as is expected & excusable for a lad who has played 12 games.

FFS people whinged for years under Laidley that we didn't "play the kids" - then whinge when the kids are inconsistent & make mistakes. Warren is a long way from the chopping block IMO - who would we replace him with? Tarrant & Smith are both much larger units who don't have Warren's mobility & running. The smaller guys like Ross don't have Warren's overhead marking ability. A good medium forward (a la Ryan o'Keefe or Steve Johnson) is an absolute asset as they are so hard for defenders to match up on - at this stage Warren is definitely worth persisting with.

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's taking the second best defender every week now, it's a pretty hard caper for him at the moment. He's still learning how to use his body as well, did anyone see that hit on Kerr? Flatttened him out for a good 30 seconds or so!

very true.......the plan was for petrie to start back, but he has renegged on his side of the bargain, unfortunately now for Ben he has to do the hard yakka for longer than anticipated. let him run around leading and such, its valuable game time under his belt. I just hope he can gain some more distance in his legs when kicking for goal, that would put fear into his opponents.

He's taking the second best defender every week now, it's a pretty hard caper for him at the moment.

This is the key IMO. Ben plays tall, but he just istn't going to take contested marks against big defenders. He needs to learn to snag more crumbing goals or handball receives etc., but at the moment he basically plays the third/fourth markng forward role, similar to Roberstson, but with the way our forward line is structured at the moment, he isn't getting the right size defender for him to dominate in the air.

He should definitely retain his spot and continue learning how to play the position.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When considering the shite that the midfield dished up to him in the first two rounds, Ben's doing fine. Working hard, presenting well and snagging a few. Wait till he becomes the third marking target when Drew returns, and our midfield has settled into the new style of play. He will be more than handy.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, he is a kid that has played a handful of games. All things considered Milky is probably going to put a heap of distance between himself ond CJ by years end.

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Really though, check what he has done. NOTHING! I am a fan (check history), but he must step up.

Compare against other young "under performers", he is worse!

He gets himself in the correct position to get it - just a bit of the fumbles sometimes. The kid is quality and is all upside. I don't know what some people expect of developing youngsters/

Back