5 best player performances you’ve ever seen in your lifetime ...exclude your own team

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
I was born in 1990, soooooo with that in mind I don’t remember guys like Ablett Snr, Dunstall, Matthews, Barlett...

1. Wayne Carey (NORTH)
Almost became a North Melbourne supporter at the age of 9 because my grade 3 teacher was a diehard, Brent Harvey’s sister was in my class and I was overwhelmed by Carey’s brilliance.
I’d often mimic the one on one contest, with the one hand mark in my backyard, against the tree, or against the pillow in my bedroom.

One of my first football memories was Carey just dominating, turning onto his right side, on the run from outside 50 and just smashing that ball onto his boot. His shoulder tape is still a clear memory in my adolescence, the number 18 for me will always be Wayne Carey.

2. Darren Jarman (ADEL)
Another memory, very faint but left a lasting impression, Jarman’s final quarter in the 97’ grand final against Saint Kilda. The way the commentators talked about him, he was Hercules to me. The best thing about grand finals are that they etch your name in stone and you’re forever a hero, and Jarman to me, with that one performance, has always been one of the best players I’ve ever watched from an opposition.

3. James Hird (ESS)
Clutch and a Showman (refer to hugging supporter after a clutch goal against the eagles), a phenomenal player but again, this time my teenage years, leaving another impression on me with that performance against the eagles and always knowing he performed in finals and was always a jet, loved him.

4. Stewie Dew (HAW)
That 2008 grand final...my mates and I were shitting on him, he’s fat, he’s old, he’s s**t...then was it the third quarter??? He won them the ******* game!!! Hahahaha !! And we were left jawdropped! It was surreal, I’ll never forget it!!

5. Brian Lake (HAW)
He was an octopus in the 2013 grand final, he had eight arms, I swear, by this stage I was just jealous of anyone who supported hawthorn.

Last edited:
so just one player then?
from 1980 onwards:

tony lockett - no one comparable. unique. played for swans so including him.
leigh matthews - dominated a field in the way no captain has.
wayne carey - dominated the forward field like no one else.
gaz snr - a freak. best player to watch.
buddy - another freak with the ability to score spectacular long goals.
dunstall - not quite in locketts league but clear second best ff (since huddo anyway).
gaz jnr - best mid from the late 00s. possibly best ever.
greg williams - best mid until harvey came along.
ben cousins - at his peak the best midfielder in the early-mid 00s. took over harvey's mantle. gaz took his.
hodge/voss - fantastic footballers, exceptional captains.
unlucky - fyfe, judd, pavlich, buckley, scarlett.

In no particular order.....Nathan Buckley 2002 GF vs Brisbane... Wayne Carey 1997 QF vs Geelong... Adam Goodes Rnd 23 2011 vs Geelong....Gary Ablett vs Collingwood Rnd 17 2013 & Simon Black 2003 GF vs Collingwood.

My memories start in the 70s. I probably couldn't give individual performances because every game was good.
I loved Robbie Flower's skills. Used to look forward to state of origin games just to see him playing with best players against the best.
Keith Greig was probably similar. Ran down the wing all day dodging around players.
David Schwarz in 94 before his first knee injury. I went out of my way to watch every Melbourne game that was on tv just to see him, he was unstoppable. I was probably as disappointed as any Demons supporter when he did his knee.
I'll count Plugger, since he went to the Swans. He was worth the price admission on his own. I've never seen a player determine the outcome of a game as often.
I'll add Gary Ablett Snr. He did things I don't think I've seen anyone else do before or since.

I was at Round 17, 1999 Essendon v North goalfest at the MCG when Carey kicked 10 against Lloyd's 7. 158 to 132. Nuts. Was only young and didn't really appreciate what I was witnessing. Those two forwards were nek level.

If the AFL are amending the rules constantly to try and get back to this kind of contest, then they're doing a really sh5t job of it.

Im going to put Mark LeCras at No 1 - 12 goals in Melb as a small forward - unbelievable performance

(2) Jason Dunstall - i think he kicked 17 against Richmond one day - 1 short of the all time record

(3) Peter McKenna (Coll) - kicked 16 against Sth Melb one day

(4) Phil Carman ( Coll )kicked either 11 or 12 in a famous game at Moorabbin

(5) Id like to put Templeton in for that game out at Footscray - but im not because there were too many suspect marks - the umpires got carried away . So im going to put Kevin Bartlett in - 7 goals in the 80GF - and bear in mind he kicked 6 in the Qual final and 8 in the second semi - as a 33 year old playing on a half forward flank

A couple of memorable breakout games

Warren Tredrea v Carlton 1998 (his 8th game) who the f is this kid, 17 marks 8 goals (probably was his best career game in the end)

Chris Judd v Brisbane 2003, he just tore the best team in the comp a new one

A couple of memorable breakout games

Warren Tredrea v Carlton 1998 (his 8th game) who the f is this kid, 17 marks 8 goals (probably was his best career game in the end)

Chris Judd v Brisbane 2003, he just tore the best team in the comp a new one

Treadrea's game was on another level that day. in 98 the domination of forwards taking dozens of marks per game was pretty much over and along comes this kid who clunked 17 of them and backed it up with 8 was unbelievable.

I remember developing a bromance for Judd on that day. The POWERHOUSE that was Brisbane had its fab four eating Judd dust all day and kicked 5 in 5 minutes.

5. Brian Lake (HAW)
He was an octopus in the 2013 grand final, he had eight arms, I swear, by this stage I was just jealous of anyone who supported hawthorn.

i'm actually really surprised you would bring up that game as a great game. Gunston should have got the Norm that year, all Lake did was shark a few kicks into the freo forward line because Chris Mayne was too stupid to man him up.

i'm actually really surprised you would bring up that game as a great game. Gunston should have got the Norm that year, all Lake did was shark a few kicks into the freo forward line because Chris Mayne was too stupid to man him up.
nah brian lake played as spare man he had no direct opponent. But chris mayne should have occupied the same area as him

so just one player then?
from 1980 onwards:

dunstall - not quite in locketts league but clear second best ff (since huddo anyway).
ben cousins - at his peak the best midfielder in the early-mid 00s. took over harvey's mantle. gaz took his.
Is it really that hard to understand the meaning of his question?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

liam picken's finals series 2016 any game was an absolute masterclass.
dustin martin finals series but against brisbane this season was particularly impressive.
gavin wanganeen, pickett and peter burgoyne 2004 gf
simon black just over akermanis in 2003 gf.
michael long 1993 gf
g trains big games were fun to watch

But the greatest game ever by an individual was clive waterhouses 7 goal effort in the demolition derby,

good topic,im gonna name 5 games i was at live as this is what i thought at the time
not in any particular order ok

1978 rd 13 i think .Western oval Kelvin Templeton kicks 15.9 v St.Kilda...8 or 9 in the last,there wasnt enough room in the record
to mark his goals

1982 rd 12 MCG Richmond v Fitzroy... Taylor(BT) boots 10,but he isnt the highlight of the day,Geoff Raines' game is spectacular & he takes mark of the Round on the members wing,Roach plays in the Ruck

1990 Rd 1 Western oval Footscray v St.Kilda... Plugger bags 10,..at his zenith no one had more presence and aura than Tony imo,he was a roadtrain
a skinny kid named Chris Grant aged 17 debuts for the dogs and kicks 3,looks a natural

1982 rd 16 Princess Park Hawthorn v North Melbourne...Hawthorn come out the blocks n kick 13 in the 1st..evryone at the ground is blown away,
Leigh Matthews BOG 7 goals

1993 night game MCG North v Essendon,the arrival of the King ,Carey carrys north on his back to victory if i remember correctly what a performance from the king.... at one stage Sheedy throws Tim Watson to CHB to try n curtail the King

i was at all these games,im not gonna speculate on ones i half watched on tv or heard about

Last edited:
so just one player then?
from 1980 onwards:

haha. very funny. got me. should have quoted you pre-edit.

Cripps, this season round 12 vs Brisbane.
yeah that ws impressive but speaking about brisbane jonathon brown used to put in some monster performances.

heres some stuff copied from wikipedia "Brown's form hit a peak between rounds 7 and 10, when over four games he averaged 11 marks, 20 disposals and 6.5 goals per game, ".

Was born in late 80's so memory is shoddy for older matches.
In no particular order:
Kouta vs. North Melbourne at Princes Park (2000)
Black vs. Collingwood (2003 GF)
Carey vs. Essendon (1999)
Franklin vs North Melbourne (2012) ..."Thirteen!!"
Judd v Brisbane (2003)

Greg Williams - 53 possessions, 6 goals. Best game I've seen.

Robbie Flower in a state game. I think he was made captain for the game. The Vics had a strategy - on kickouts, isolate the ruckmen on one wing - they would wrestle for position, and Flower would come over the top and take a screamer - time and time again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back