5 best player performances you’ve ever seen in your lifetime ...exclude your own team

Remove this Banner Ad

PORT119

Draftee
Oct 24, 2019
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A couple of memorable breakout games

Warren Tredrea v Carlton 1998 (his 8th game) who the f is this kid, 17 marks 8 goals (probably was his best career game in the end)

Chris Judd v Brisbane 2003, he just tore the best team in the comp a new one

Tredrea vs Richmond at footy park in the wet, kicked something like 4-5 in the first half then took a saving mark in defense real late to win us the game.
One of the best individual efforts I've seen

benji2

Club Legend
May 19, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Sheffield Wednesday
1. Ablett Snr in the '89 GF
2. Ableet Snr vs Ess, 1993
3. Kouta in the 1999 PF
4. Jeff Farmer - 9 in a half vs Collingwood 2000 (I think)
5. Judd v Brisbane, 2003

On LG-K500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Most of the ones I wanted to mention have been mentioned but one of the ones I expected to see already:

Rnd 17, 1996 - Melbourne vs North

Wayne Carey lines up on Shaun Smith who had kept Ablett goalless the week (or 2?) before. Such was Carey's DOMINANT first few minutes that their best attacking weapon (and former gun CHB), David Neitz, was quickly switched back on to Carey (Carey rated Neitz his second toughest opponent over his career).

By the final siren, Carey (playing on a quality opponent and often an extra man) had amassed 22 kicks, 31 disposals, 15 marks and kicked 11 goals!

He also had two long range efforts hit the post. It was an utter demolition from the best player in the game at the time.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Treadrea's game was on another level that day. in 98 the domination of forwards taking dozens of marks per game was pretty much over and along comes this kid who clunked 17 of them and backed it up with 8 was unbelievable.

Dislocated his knee in the same game, early in the last quarter I think. Looked the goods for at least 10

Pomsta

All Australian
Jun 10, 2010
Stuck at Home
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolves, 49ers
Im going to put Mark LeCras at No 1 - 12 goals in Melb as a small forward - unbelievable performance

(2) Jason Dunstall - i think he kicked 17 against Richmond one day - 1 short of the all time record

(3) Peter McKenna (Coll) - kicked 16 against Sth Melb one day

(4) Phil Carman ( Coll )kicked either 11 or 12 in a famous game at Moorabbin

(5) Id like to put Templeton in for that game out at Footscray - but im not because there were too many suspect marks - the umpires got carried away . So im going to put Kevin Bartlett in - 7 goals in the 80GF - and bear in mind he kicked 6 in the Qual final and 8 in the second semi - as a 33 year old playing on a half forward flank

I was at the Dunstall game at Waverley and it wouldn't be in my top 20 performances that I have seen. Not only were we abysmal but it looked as though Peter Carey as the umpire wanted him to get the record. Half the goals were "Joe the Gooses", he was getting 2019 style free kicks and we were witches hats.

However in the same year he kicked 12 against us at the MCG and absolutely dominated. That performance would be in my top 10.

Pomsta

All Australian
Jun 10, 2010
Stuck at Home
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolves, 49ers
Too many dead brain cells from being a Richmond supporter from the 80s to remember the exact games but my top 5 would probably go along the lines of:
1. Gary Ablett Snr vs Richmond 1980 something
2. Gary Ablett Snr vs Richmond 1990 something
3. Gary Ablett Snr vs Richmond 1990 something
4. Gary Ablett Snr vs Richmond 1990 something
5. Gary Ablett Snr vs Richmond 1990 something

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Most of the ones I wanted to mention have been mentioned but one of the ones I expected to see already:

Rnd 17, 1996 - Melbourne vs North

Wayne Carey lines up on Shaun Smith who had kept Ablett goalless the week (or 2?) before. Such was Carey's DOMINANT first few minutes that their best attacking weapon (and former gun CHB), David Neitz, was quickly switched back on to Carey (Carey rated Neitz his second toughest opponent over his career).

By the final siren, Carey (playing on a quality opponent and often an extra man) had amassed 22 kicks, 31 disposals, 15 marks and kicked 11 goals!

He also had two long range efforts hit the post. It was an utter demolition from the best player in the game at the time.
I was at this game but was too young to clearly remember it. My old man, who has seen a ton of games live, to this day still talks about it in the sense of Carey being like one of those Auskickers who was just in a different galaxy to any other kid, to the point of it not being fair. Pretty impressive given a) it's the elite level and b) he did it on Neitz who was AA CHB the previous year. It was still in the days where the CHB would actually play directly on the CHF.

Brolga

Grumpy Old Git
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Anthony Koutoufides 1996 - unstoppable!
James Hird 2004
Lance Franklin 2018
after that it's any with Carey, Williams, Ablett(s) Dunstall

Apr 12, 2011
Yarraville
AFL Club
Sydney
In no order and off the top of my head.

Kevin Bartlett v Collingwood 1980 GF - first game of football I remember watching on TV (I was only 5yo but still remember the little bald bloke running amok)

Dunstall v Richmond 1992 - 17 goals. Enough said.

Ablett v Hawthorn 1989 GF. One for the ages.

Carey v Hawthorn - 93/94 . Not the famous drawn final at VFL park but the MCG game where he took about 18 marks. Owned the game.

Lockett v Swans - 1992 . 15 goals at Moorabbin. Like Buddy, was probably at his most dynamic at his first club but we got him at his most consistent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back