Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Bazzar I’m not interested in dogging him I just get on here to shoot the sh.t
I posted a thread with a poll where people could choose between making an offer now or keeping him at a cost or would you pay market rates.
I said I’d make him an offer now on an ave contract.
He’s a role player that plays space and tries to support at contests and he’s good at getting to those, he’s also reliable for his strengths and weaknesses.
He’s a great example of getting the most out’ve himself and getting ready to play.
I love him for playing for Richmond and trying and being a premiership player like all of em.
I can only see things through my eyes mate and I see him differently to you.

I can speak for myself thanks.
The most despicable thing I’ve said about him is I’m not in the camp of keeping him at an above ave contract and I’ve said my opinion as to why.
Thats where we differ.
I’ll say it again.
I think he plays the percentages and I think we’re seeing his best. I’d prefer to see more playmaking and creativity.
It’s a good year by his standards.

That's my view
Mine too and the word 'despicable' does even equate Cdog. More likely it's popular thinking. I look forward to some brave soul setting up a poll on it:D ,

If poster doesn't fawn over him for some reason you are hater? Don't understand that thinking. I get that there are some that adore his gameplay, perhaps even the person, if they have met him, and I certainly don't understand the very, very few who really pot Bellis for anything and everything - I guess that's what makes it an extreme view because it is on the outer edges of popular thinking.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
In our premiership year he was 1 of 6 players in the 50s vote range with Grigg the highest 6th on 58 (Ellis 11th, Prestia, Buttler, Houli, Reiwoldt, Grigg) 5th place Grimes on 69 showed how tight the 50 group was. That alone shows he's more than decent.
Mute point as by 2018 he was playing VFL.

Mine too and the word 'despicable' does even equate Cdog. More likely it's popular thinking. I look forward to some brave soul setting up a poll on it:D ,

If poster doesn't fawn over him for some reason you are hater? Don't understand that thinking. I get that there are some that adore his gameplay, perhaps even the person, if they have met him, and I certainly don't understand the very, very few who really pot Bellis for anything and everything - I guess that's what makes it an extreme view because it is on the outer edges of popular thinking.
Yep
Dr Tigris threw down a great post yesterday (#2701) and it summed up his play and the situation really well.

Part of my way of looking at it and correct me if I’m wrong but I think Conca landed in 20th place.
We know he got a great offer from Freo and it’s lead to a different dynamic and opportunity to play different players.
We know what we have if he stays in terms of play but there’s alot if moving parts and ramificatiobs to the choices and the decision isn’t only the clubs to make.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Part of my way of looking at it and correct me if I’m wrong but I think Conca landed in 20th place.
We know he got a great offer from Freo and it’s lead to a different dynamic and opportunity to play different players.
We know what we have if he stays in terms of play but there’s alot if moving parts and ramificatiobs to the choices and the decision isn’t only the clubs to make.
Broad was 20th and by a fair margin from Caddy 19th because he only played the 7 games.
Conca only played 15 games in 3 years up to 2017, and only 6 games in our premiership year, so no comparison trading him to Ellis who had the one average year post Premiership and is now back to playing good footy.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
I’m not sure I read on here that Brando’s Dad passed away. The reality is he’s fit and well as he was at West Coburg yesterday sharing a Cherry Ripe with a long time committee member and good friend of mine.
He was a lucky one where the medication used to treat his cancer actually put it in remission for now at least six years.

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m not sure I read on here that Brando’s Dad passed away. The reality is he’s fit and well as he was at West Coburg yesterday sharing a Cherry Ripe with a long time committee member and good friend of mine.
He was a lucky one where the medication used to treat his cancer actually put it in remission for now at least six years.
thought I read he passed away...must have been thru a Herald-s**t article.....figures.

Thousand apologies.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Funny how some posters get so upset over criticism of Ellis - how dare you criticise one of our own!!
I’m happy to read positive Ellis posts and while can’t agree with them this thread imo is a good one because it’s a mix of opinions.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes which makes my point if you can comprehend. Both of those teams are garbage with poor defensive pressure and lack of genuine talent.
Edit. lol he played like a busted a-hole.
People on here are dreaming saying he’s worth 600-700k.
This where I agree, this idea that other clubs are coming and are going to offer this money is deluded imo. Some posters hate the guy as a player, but want top dollar in return?? Just cant see it happening.

Yep
Dr Tigris threw down a great post yesterday (#2701) and it summed up his play and the situation really well.

Aw shucks. Thanks

Brando did his Brando thing on Friday. His role as the outlet player, is another way of saying the guy that gets the ball when all the best options are stuffed. Quite often he runs into a wall and does a little kick or whatever. He's definitely not in Houli's class, but he took the pressure quite often and relieved it.

That ended up being a putrid game by us. They monstered us inside, which Brando has nothing to do with. And our forward set up only worked haphazardly. BEllis could have done better. But he was a very long way from our major problems. In fact I was so disappointed in one of my heroes - Vlas. A lot of our players just basically sucked. They looked like they came in thinking it'd be a cake walk, and got mugged.

Anyway, I still reckon Brandon is a good B-B+ grade role player. That his role is despised by many on this board --- :think:

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Aw shucks. Thanks

Brando did his Brando thing on Friday. His role as the outlet player, is another way of saying the guy that gets the ball when all the best options are stuffed. Quite often he runs into a wall and does a little kick or whatever. He's definitely not in Houli's class, but he took the pressure quite often and relieved it.

That ended up being a putrid game by us. They monstered us inside, which Brando has nothing to do with. And our forward set up only worked haphazardly. BEllis could have done better. But he was a very long way from our major problems. In fact I was so disappointed in one of my heroes - Vlas. A lot of our players just basically sucked. They looked like they came in thinking it'd be a cake walk, and got mugged.

Anyway, I still reckon Brandon is a good B-B+ grade role player. That his role is despised by many on this board --- :think:

I must be exhausting for guys like Vlastuin and Grimes to 'cover' the Ellis weaknesses every game.

I must be exhausting for guys like Vlastuin and Grimes to 'cover' the Ellis weaknesses every game.

Huh!

They play completely different roles.

Anyway, BEllis is what he is, doing what he does.

DustinsGuns

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Stank it up tonight or possibly being played out of position - which appears to be anywhere on the ground where there's pressure.
Take the compo pick. The guy is a liability.

Was putrid tonight.

BUT.

Has played more good games than bad this year. Can’t say that for butler, Higgins, Rioli so..

Finding the footy but has an allergic reaction to moving the ball forwards, he seems to love going backwards and sideways with his kicking, handballing and running.

Has basically turned into Conca. But Conca wasn't as soft.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
People just need to accept that he’s not Andrew Gaff and he never will be. When our team is firing he can look a million bucks, but he will never play well when we lose. With Naish coming along nicely, he’s more than expendable. I expect him to be gone by the end of next season.

DustinsGuns

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
People just need to accept that he’s not Andrew Gaff and he never will be. When our team is firing he can look a million bucks, but he will never play well when we lose. With Naish coming along nicely, he’s more than expendable. I expect him to be gone by the end of next season.

Naish was terrible tonight too.
But ya know.... 2 games

Back