Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Exactly. We basically have a back 7 because of rotations and Ellis is part of that, and his tackle count is similar to his counterparts, thats why it ammuses me he is the one singled out.

I haven’t noticed Ellis line up in then D50 all season, he’s been playing wing all year unless I missed something?

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Starts defensive wing side then goes back. Spent 63% in defence this year.

Not sure what you mean? Nearly 2/3 of his disposals are in defence and probably 80% of his time on the ground is in the back half. Im just telling you how it is.

Where are these stats from? I’m mostly interested in the one that he’s spent 63% of time in defence. But that also doesn’t make him part of the back 6. Ellis might be picking up a lot of his disposals in the defensive half of the ground but that doesn’t make him part of our defensive unit. He’s still playing as a winger.

And to be honest the nitpicking we could get into of what percentage of time he spends where and how that impacts how we should judge his role doesn’t interest me. My biggest issue with Ellis is that he’s a passenger when we play finals and that’s why he should be moved on at years end and why he should be replaced in the 22 before then.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
We can afford to lose Ellis this year and McIntosh end of 2020 and cash in on compo picks and continue to replenish our young talent whilst staying top table

players like Naish & Turner will take over as they will be ready and at the same time saving cap space for talent like Bolton , Balta , Stack etc

Very good list management

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
We can afford to lose Ellis this year and McIntosh end of 2020 and cash in on compo picks and continue to replenish our young talent whilst staying top table

players like Naish & Turner will take over as they will be ready and at the same time saving cap space for talent like Bolton , Balta , Stack etc

Very good list management
Like Kmac reckon he can still get better and cause a headache for the List Managers!

Not sure what you mean? Nearly 2/3 of his disposals are in defence and probably 80% of his time on the ground is in the back half. Im just telling you how it is.
Nearly and probably aren’t words I’d use to constitute “how it is”.
Mate, please don’t give me instruction on how to think. I get it you don’t think Brando deserves some of the strong opinions that are laid out here, and some people interpret stats to support their opinions. But if your gonna speak in absolutes about the way you interpret his role it just shuts down discussion on Brando and it becomes a stupid “yes it is , no it isn’t” merry go round.
Just tell me what you think mate and don’t worry about what I should think.

Sol23

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Brando plays wing he’s not a defender lol he gets back in defence and gets his cheap kicks and easy touches.

Brando plays wing he’s not a defender lol he gets back in defence and gets his cheap kicks and easy touches.

All positions these days are merely starting positions. The way the game has become, everyone is a defender and everyone is a forward of centre when it's not transitioning.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Nearly and probably aren’t words I’d use to constitute “how it is”.
Mate, please don’t give me instruction on how to think. I get it you don’t think Brando deserves some of the strong opinions that are laid out here, and some people interpret stats to support their opinions. But if your gonna speak in absolutes about the way you interpret his role it just shuts down discussion on Brando and it becomes a stupid “yes it is , no it isn’t” merry go round.
Just tell me what you think mate and don’t worry about what I should think.
No need to be rude.
253 of his 403 disposals have been in defence, yes thats close to 2/3.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Dusty didnt lay a tackle in his first two games and Dimma came out defending him saying it isnt his team job to get in and lay tackles.

At least those here who constantly critisise Ellis have access to his actual game day instructions. I wish they would share them for the rest of us.

And we are back to comparing Ellis to Dustin Martin.

How fabulous

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
No need to be rude.
253 of his 403 disposals have been in defence, yes thats close to 2/3.
All Ellis' best games are when he is part of the transition and getting more possessions in the middle of the ground. He played pretty good football for 6 weeks or so where he was much more involved in the play than he has been lately (and early) in the season. He is not a strong wet weather player so that hasn't helped. I still maintain, even if as you say he is the designated defensive winger, all the good wingers transition the ball from back to forward. I haven't watched enough of Gaff to know accurately, but from what I have seen, he is also quite a defensive winger, getting a lot of his possessions in the back half, but he carries the ball and attacks also. Ellis is at his best when he does this also.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Where are these stats from? I’m mostly interested in the one that he’s spent 63% of time in defence. But that also doesn’t make him part of the back 6. Ellis might be picking up a lot of his disposals in the defensive half of the ground but that doesn’t make him part of our defensive unit. He’s still playing as a winger.

And to be honest the nitpicking we could get into of what percentage of time he spends where and how that impacts how we should judge his role doesn’t interest me. My biggest issue with Ellis is that he’s a passenger when we play finals and that’s why he should be moved on at years end and why he should be replaced in the 22 before then.
63% of his total disposals are in defence.
89 of his defensive 253 disposals are in the defensive 50 ark, 29 of his offensive 153 disposals are in the forward 50 ark

Back