Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Frankly, I think the Club is grateful for a bit of extra Cap space to be able to do something. Whatever Brandon was on - now available - $128k for a draftee at 39. Winner winner chicken dinner!
Correct me if im wrong but wouldnt ellis to qualify for f/a and fall close to a band 2 while at it have to be around the 600k mark.
As far as i can asceretain we were paying him in the vicinity of 600k a yr.

If this is the case and we have only offered him 350k to stay then little wonder he is going.

If the above is accurate and im not saying it is fact, but if it is accurate then you could make the argument that we have forced him out to make room within our salary cap.What i dont get is why no one has questioned the wisdom of us paying him 600k to start with

Yes the club have said they want him to stay but only at the new contract price.

Last edited:

Get excited lmfao. More like get hysterical with side splitting laughter.
You'd make a great coach/team manager mate, after 6 weeks all the volunteers would not turn up, parents would be having fist fights with you, committee and selection you would have to do solo, sponsors would bail out....players would only play for the money....unpaid, reserve and depth players would go to other clubs, the kid doing the scoreboard would be in tears coz you would eat his pie and drink his coke and it would be just you and the barfly until the club folded soon after.

Correct me if im wrong but wouldnt ellis to qualify for f/a and fall close to a band 2 while at it have to be around the 600k mark.
As far as i can asceretain we were paying him in the vicinity of 600k a yr.

If this is the case and we have only offered him 350k to stay then little wonder he is going.

If the above is accurate and im not saying it is fact, but if it is accurate then you could make the argument that we have forced him out to make room within our salary cap.What i dont get is why no one has questioned the wisdom of us paying him 600k to start with

Yes the club have said they want him to stay but only at the new contract price.

I've heard that but I don't know any of it's veracity. The Club has played a very straight bat on it.

You'd make a great coach/team manager mate, after 6 weeks all the volunteers would not turn up, parents would be having fist fights with you, committee and selection you would have to do solo, sponsors would bail out....players would only play for the money....unpaid, reserve and depth players would go to other clubs, the kid doing the scoreboard would be in tears coz you would eat his pie and drink his coke and it would be just you and the barfly until the club folded soon after.

You don;t know that. What people write and how they adjust face to face can be two very different things. You might be right, but could just as easily be wrong about him. It's why I wouldn't suggest writing it, seems a bit personal, but I'm sure he's had worse and will cope.............. ;)

Last edited:
You don;t know that. What people write and how they adjust face to face can be two very different things. You might be right, but could just as easily be wrong about him. It's why I wouldn't suggest writing it, seems a bit personal, but I'm sure he's had worse and will cope.............. ;)
he enjoys it
santa clws.jpg

No way would they hold out six weeks...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard that but I don't know any of it's veracity. The Club has played a very straight bat on it.
i m fairly certain its kosher because to qualify for f/a and band 2 he had to be earning around the 600k base mark.

The club has said they want him to stay knowing full well it was more likely than not that he would go after recieving such a massive pay cut.

I have no idea why they rated him so highly as a player. They continued to play him for what ever reasons but it has had some effect with McIntosh being disgruntled and possibly Ross.Both far better options than Ellis and both planning on staying.Both players the club had every intention of keeping.

Why play a borderline soft squib in finals knowing he was not going to be there next yr. why did we not give the finals experience to a kid like ross or play the harder at it McIntosh both of whom were going to be there next yr.

What really annoyed for yrs is you could see he was taking games away from promising younger players fmd he even kept Pickett out of the team, lucky for Pickett Graham got hurt and opened the door but it never should have been down to Graham copping an injury.

Let the small minded little man have his fun. Says way more about him than anything he could write about me.

i m fairly certain its kosher because to qualify for f/a and band 2 he had to be earning around the 600k base mark.

The club has said they want him to stay knowing full well it was more likely than not that he would go after recieving such a massive pay cut.

I have no idea why they rated him so highly as a player. They continued to play him for what ever reasons but it has had some effect with McIntosh being disgruntled and possibly Ross.Both far better options than Ellis and both planning on staying.Both players the club had every intention of keeping.

Why play a borderline soft squib in finals knowing he was not going to be there next yr. why did we not give the finals experience to a kid like ross or play the harder at it McIntosh both of whom were going to be there next yr.

What really annoyed for yrs is you could see he was taking games away from promising younger players fmd he even kept Pickett out of the team, lucky for Pickett Graham got hurt and opened the door but it never should have been down to Graham copping an injury.

Yep agreed. The club is an absolute basket case, and I too demand answers! We are consistently shooting ourselves in the foot with our list management of late, and THAT is why we keep losing the players we DON'T want to lose!

God, I really wish we were smarter over the last few years. You've got my vote, mate!

We just won the Grand Final by 15 goals and you have selection issues with the match committee.

We just won the Grand Final by 15 goals and you have selection issues with the match committee.

He’s an absolute moron. Honestly has less of an idea than Mr Magic

You’ve posted before after certain games that you thought he wasn’t bad, the west coast game and I think the Port game.
I’ve come out and said at times some of his game sh.ts me, the short steps, dinky little dolly kicks that make players stand and wait to be ironed out but I’ve always said he’s consistant and reliable for the good and the bad.
Richmond has given me two flags in the last 39 years and it’s come under the same coach.
To bag the selection of one of the players after they’ve given you those flags, from the same Coaching group...

I think your saying silly things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back