Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

no grigg, no more conca, and no jack graham much of late and still no problems...brando is versatile enough to play all those multiple roles as well as getting his old run and gun back when dimma puts him in freewheelin mode...we all know he can shank a couple but dusty, prestia and basher can shank it just as well, not going on stats but recent memory suggests he is our best at finishing full of running in the last 15 minutes of most games when some of our cubs are gasping.

He was out of form after a few outstanding years, he's back in that form now.

Footy is definitely a form game unless it's at suburban level and even then....... So yes, whilst he's in good form, like he has been for the majority of his games this year, he has his spot in the 22 sorted. But that is also the beauty of this team, this Club now, there is genuine depth, the likes I don't recall since say the early 80's. Admittedly, there are some that are still projects and we all know how the next big thing can go sometimes (usually to the SANFL). It would only take a few mediocre games in a row from Brandon and he would be straight back to VFL, such is our list when in good health (especially at the top end).

The end of the season will likely be a very different landscape, but for now anyone suggesting he is not best 22 for the next game ahead:think::huh:

I am a consultant and regularly change jobs for more $.
If Brandon gets an offer for much more than richmond can afford he should take it. Especially if it's North. You're a long time retired.
Brandon is a good player but has limitations. If he gets a better offer he should take it.
If he wants to stay at the tigers more than he wants to look after his post football career, he can accept what richmond can afford.

I have a feeling Ellis stays for whatever Richmond can afford to pay him.
With the changes going on at North I'm convinced they're going to go down the draft path this season and forget about offering stupid money to players... already talk of trading off one of their big name players to bolster their draft stocks.
Then that leaves St Kilda as a possible suitor, but I don't imagine they'd be offering big $$ to lure him out of Richmond.
carlton... saints...

Sydney

Maybe he knows Balta, Stack, Higgins, Baker etc. will give him a tough time to get a game at senior level potentially

then the next tier of Naish, Turner, Pickett, RCD etc. snapping at his heals. Being the 28th-30th best player is quite a realistic outcome before too long

Does he want flags, money, senior football most?
Got a flag..
Part ways on good terms with the club.
Go to a new club on much better coin for 3yrs.
Who knows,He always has the option of coming back after the 3yrs.

What an awesome pickup! lol Must have thought they had another Dusty 11 with those tatts!
I despise him more than Gazz in the way they shafted their previous clubs.
'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its Mr Gun to you my wife is Mrs crystal Ball

I have watched enough football and played at a reasonable level to know which players can play and which are just role fillers
Ellis is a role filler ( a good one) But just a role filler

Naish & Turner are better players imo , And Short whilst he has similar traits to Ellis is way more damaging and will be moved up the ground with Stack & Pickett now on the list.

But if he is kept hit me up about the 100 more games

Oh yeah, went down to Tassie to watch Turner play for Clarence did you? Plus his 7 or so VFL games this year. A lot of evidence to suggest he's a better player than a guy who is a premiership player at the top level

Keep it in the real world, son

Oh yeah, went down to Tassie to watch Turner play for Clarence did you? Plus his 7 or so VFL games this year. A lot of evidence to suggest he's a better player than a guy who is a premiership player at the top level

Of course they are not better right now, but they are young players that have transitioned really well into the VFL, and have some strong AFL attributes. So yes whilst unproven and obviously not better than Brandon Ellis, they play his position and will need to be played sooner than later.
I guess some posters do what the match committee have admitted to doing, concentrating more on his negatives than his positives. It will be an interesting half a year for Ellis with some good players coming back.

LOL yes i have seen him play in the VFL as well as friends who have seen him play and not all are Richmond supporters But you could possibly apply your logic to a player like Noah Balta also maybe Brandon Ellis is also better than RCD also ?

You mention premiership player that doesnt not automatically make them a champion some extremely ordinary players have medals and some genuine champions like Riho dont so dont use that crap.

Now Coxy have you see fraser turner play live ? im betting you have not but perhaps ask some people on this board that actually attend some VFL games and decide on what their opinion is before YOU draw that comparison.

Whilst players like Corey Ellis was waddling in the vfl for 4 years and Ben Lennon kicking goals but doing nothing we were not talking him /them up but a genuine standout like Turner & Naish actually stand out to be better.

But im happy to stand by my viewing of players and judgement on their talent and say that YES fraser turner will be a better player than brandon ellis who has played 160 games but if i was to rate the games i would say probably 20 games where i would have said yes he plaayed well but another 40 where i geuinely believe he has mrs hardwick picture and thats the only possible reason he could be in this side.

Both Fraser Turner & Patrick Naish will be playing in our best 22 in 2 years time and Brandon Ellis wont be

Have I seen Fraser Turner play live? Yeah, more times than anyone on this board would be my guess.
I actually live 20 minutes from Bellerive Oval. Have also played football against his club. Unlike a lot of people, I still get out to local footy games instead of sitting on my computer of a Saturday arvo talking s**t. So try again on that score. Not that this makes me an expert on Fraser Turner, but I've seen more than enough to hold the belief that Ellis is a better player at the present time.
I'm glad your friends have seen him play, what does that mean? Did they turn to you and say "yep, this guy is better than Brandon Ellis mate".

Yeah, I'm aware some ordinary players have played in premierships but Ellis isn't one of them. His resume boasts more than just that. What did you want me to cite? His top 5 B&F efforts, his inclusion in the AA squad, his 100+ consecutive games at AFL level for a top side, his quality (so far) 2019 season? What can be said that would indicate Turner isn't currently a better player than Ellis

You're the one who made the claim Turner is a better player. Based on what dude?

And don't say he "will be a better player". This was your quote, back it up

"Naish & Turner are better players"

Have I seen Fraser Turner play live? Yeah, more times than anyone on this board would be my guess.
I actually live 20 minutes from Bellerive Oval. Have also played football against his club. Unlike a lot of people, I still get out to local footy games instead of sitting on my computer of a Saturday arvo talking ****. So try again on that score. Not that this makes me an expert on Fraser Turner, but I've seen more than enough to hold the belief that Ellis is a better player at the present time.
I'm glad your friends have seen him play, what does that mean? Did they turn to you and say "yep, this guy is better than Brandon Ellis mate".

Yeah, I'm aware some ordinary players have played in premierships but Ellis isn't one of them. His resume boasts more than just that. What did you want me to cite? His top 5 B&F efforts, his inclusion in the AA squad, his 100+ consecutive games at AFL level for a top side, his quality (so far) 2019 season? What can be said that would indicate Turner isn't currently a better player than Ellis

You're the one who made the claim Turner is a better player. Based on what dude?

And don't say he "will be a better player". This was your quote, back it up

"Naish & Turner are better players"

Well considering that you have played football against his club that would make you in the age bracket of 18-28 , Now considering most of my friends are in their 50's and have been watching roughly 3-4 games a week and have all played football at some level i would say they do have a decent eye for football and they do know and can see talent when on the ground , Now in regards to what they said to me well something along the line of this kids a beauty and will play 200.
Now lets not get into this childish on the computer sh!t as you are doing exactly the same thing and on the same forum

But lets sort this out rather than talk sh!t , I'm happy to back my judgement against your and state that if Brandon Ellis remains at Richmond past this year he wont play another 100 games. Are you happy to back yourself and say he will

Sorry last minute edit as i didnt really pay attention to it at first
you posted: that i said
"Naish & Turner are better players" -

Why did you selectively leave out part of that the also had 'IMO'

Well considering that you have played football against his club that would make you in the age bracket of 18-28 , Now considering most of my friends are in their 50's and have been watching roughly 3-4 games a week and have all played football at some level i would say they do have a decent eye for football and they do know and can see talent when on the ground , Now in regards to what they said to me well something along the line of this kids a beauty and will play 200.
Now lets not get into this childish on the computer sh!t as you are doing exactly the same thing and on the same forum

But lets sort this out rather than talk sh!t , I'm happy to back my judgement against your and state that if Brandon Ellis remains at Richmond past this year he wont play another 100 games. Are you happy to back yourself and say he will

Sorry last minute edit as i didnt really pay attention to it at first
you posted: that i said
"Naish & Turner are better players" -

Why did you selectively leave out part of that the also had 'IMO'

That's fair enough, their opinion. I think he looks alright too, certainly not knocking the kid. My posts are based on what you said regarding him being better than Ellis.

Sorry if you thought I was doing you dirty by leaving out "IMO". Even with that it still means you think both of those boys are better players. I disagree strongly with that. I've got high hopes for both of them but at the current time I think it's silly to suggest they're better players than Brando, they haven't played at AFL level just yet.

I don't really see what the 100 games bet has to do with what you said about Turner being better than Ellis? But yeah, okay. If he signs with us again then I would back him in for another 100 games of AFL footy. That'd take him to the age of 32 or so.

That's fair enough, their opinion. I think he looks alright too, certainly not knocking the kid. My posts are based on what you said regarding him being better than Ellis.

Sorry if you thought I was doing you dirty by leaving out "IMO". Even with that it still means you think both of those boys are better players. I disagree strongly with that. I've got high hopes for both of them but at the current time I think it's silly to suggest they're better players than Brando, they haven't played at AFL level just yet.

I don't really see what the 100 games bet has to do with what you said about Turner being better than Ellis? But yeah, okay. If he signs with us again then I would back him in for another 100 games of AFL footy. That'd take him to the age of 32 or so.

OK i will go through your post and try to answer the questions in order

Regarding my post about both Naish & Turner being better IMO'. Now i dont hate Ellis as i have mentioned 100 times he is a good ordinary player thats played 160 games over the length of his period at Richmond but we really didnt have much better over 4-5 year period prior to 2017 and since he has been in and out of the side accordingly due to no other alternative .

Now that we do have players who are at the club with more upside in Turner , Naish and even Short would be a better option due to his kicking ability
Clearly right at this minute Ellis is the better player but only for a short term and i would say within 18 months they will have passed ellis.

Regarding the bet of another 100 games, I see way too many deficiencies in his game (kicking & inability to put himself in danger)
I am confident he wont play another 100 games as of 2020 due to being replaced and thats why i believe he will be better to take an offer which will be better than Richmonds offer and he will play more games and have a longer career at a club that does not have the depth in his type of player

Ellis played a lot of his best football when there wasn't much pressure from below. Now there is with not only young guns turning up every week in the AFL, but also the VFL.

He played good football for most of his career, but I think he has reached his ceiling up to a point. The game has gotten much faster and that doesn't really suit Ellis. For a wingman, although he has great running ability, he is a tad slow and lacks real acceleration. I thought the same of Grigg as a wingman and preferred him in the middle of the ground where pace wasn't such an issue. That will not get better as he gets older.

The only issue here is beyond this season who would we rather have? I have watched vfl games of Turner and going forward I believe he offers more than Ellis. Especially in the courage stakes. I like most others have played a bit and think I am a reasonable judge. let Ellis go as a free agent. Get a compo pick and advance Turner and/or Naish. Plus save cash for youth coming through.

A lot of us were sad when Stu Maxfield looked after his future by going to the Swans. I will be less sad if Ellis does it, but if he does, I will wish him all the best and he'll always be a Tiger premiership hero.
I don't think we can afford what other clubs will offer, and given we'll get a priority pick if he's poached, it's a no brainer to offer him what we can, and no more. We have other players that we will need to pay overs to keep.

Last edited:
The only issue here is beyond this season who would we rather have? I have watched vfl games of Turner and going forward I believe he offers more than Ellis. Especially in the courage stakes. I like most others have played a bit and think I am a reasonable judge. let Ellis go as a free agent. Get a compo pick and advance Turner and/or Naish. Plus save cash for youth coming through.

What i dont like about Ellis is when he gets the ball he always stops and props and his kicking is not great mostly bobbing the ball up and never continue's the manic attack.

Both Naish and Turner have a nice kick and both run and break the lines as well as their kicking being a level above Ellis

What i dont like about Ellis is when he gets the ball he always stops and props and his kicking is not great mostly bobbing the ball up and never continue's the manic attack.

Both Naish and Turner have a nice kick and both run and break the lines as well as their kicking being a level above Ellis
I agree with your assessment here. Sometimes I feel he is scared to make a mistake and have the ball rebound against us. Regularly he halts our quick attacks and creates a defensive advantage for our opponents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back