Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

This valued member of the team stuff is nonsense. I used to read all this bum slapping jargon with Conca, but in the end he walked for bucks. The players don’t have any say on list management.
No they don't but i bet they make it obvious who they like to work with...and imo footy environs are no different to any other work environment.
And the powers that be that are in charge always take note of that stuff...

This valued member of the team stuff is nonsense. I used to read all this bum slapping jargon with Conca, but in the end he walked for bucks. The players don’t have any say on list management.

When you are part of a team, be it top level or even suburban, while you are in that group dynamic you are valued for the most part, unless you are a shitty person and/or you have done something to ostracize yourself.

Bellis is definitely valued. If and when he leaves he will still be valued, just not on the field by Richmond players.

Agree. I like his footy but if teams are offering him that much money, the compo pick is well worth it.
See that is where i disagree, not while we are in another GF contention...
How long will/would it take for that compo pick to get up to speed/effect where Bellis is currently at...
A mature fit un-injured body, elite both ways runner, understands the game/team patterns, knows his team mates quirks, his experience on the big Finals stage, is a tiger...trading Bellis out will have unintended ripple effects...i'm not decided yet till the Season ends...

How long will/would it take for that compo pick to get up to speed/effect where Bellis is currently at...
A mature fit un-injured body, elite both ways runner, understands the game/team patterns, knows his team mates quirks, his experience on the big Finals stage, is a tiger...trading Bellis out will have unintended ripple effects...i'm not decided yet till the Season ends...
No one says you have to draft someone with the pick...

When you are part of a team, be it top level or even suburban, while you are in that group dynamic you are valued for the most part, unless you are a s**tty person and/or you have done something to ostracize yourself.

Bellis is definitely valued. If and when he leaves he will still be valued, just not on the field by Richmond players.

I agree , but the reality is what’s best for the team in the long run , especially when it comes down to cap space and picks you can get for his trade. Reece Conca was a classic example as he was a great club man , but in the end was still allowed to walk. Nice blokes are a dime a dozen in footy clubs and they come and go.
I’m sure MAV Weller is a ripping bloke , but in the end it’s what’s best for the team in terms of improving on field performances.

When you can pick up Stack Baker Egg and all the other kids for next to nothing it’s really not an issue. I think you’re overrating him and I’m probably underrating him, but the reality is you need to improve your fringe players for the list to get stronger.

Sydney Stack says hi

I agree , but the reality is what’s best for the team in the long run , especially when it comes down to cap space and picks you can get for his trade. Reece Conca was a classic example as he was a great club man , but in the end was still allowed to walk. Nice blokes are a dime a dozen in footy clubs and they come and go.
I’m sure MAV Weller is a ripping bloke , but in the end it’s what’s best for the team in terms of improving on field performances.
Yes but i think you have to be a tad more discerning Team wise when good guys with obvious talent are allowed to walk...

No they don't but what would be the advantage in not drafting someone?!?
Trading for someone. That wing/half back position is somewhere we have a lot of depth but, like all clubs, we lack depth elsewhere. I would love to see us chase a clearance bull as it is somewhere we have a deficiency. What I’m saying is that if teams are offering big money for him, we don’t need to try match them. Of course, retain him if the price is right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you can pick up Stack Baker Egg and all the other kids for next to nothing it’s really not an issue. I think you’re overrating him and I’m probably underrating him, but the reality is you need to improve your fringe players for the list to get stronger.
I agree with that, that is basic footy Admin stuff! :thumbsu:
But doing it when our Premiership window is currently wide open is when i'm cautious with team player culling for fringe player development...

We are in a win-win situation he was a first round pick and a premiership player at age 23, he finished runner-up in a best & fairest at very young age, he is in our top 10 paid players right now, and if he leaves is expected to be paid even higher so we going to get a good compo pick in return for him.

ya gotta be kiddin, conca walked coz hes from the the west and the money and the extra year where good too so 3 reasons and no one was held to ransom.

players were all consulted and the leadership group got back to the chief bigwigs with their seal of approval and feedback, then the club knew everyone was on board and we got the deal done.

and what about grigga, he threw himself under a bus after no doubt chats with his mates at the club, the senior players and he yes a current player basically gave the list management a free kid. bloody hell dusty pretty much ended any chasing of bennell when asked his opinion/feedbck and mentioned with a giggle that he was a loose cannon and probably done his mummy impersontion as well :p

ya gotta be kiddin, conca walked coz hes from the the west and the money and the extra year where good too so 3 reasons and no one was held to ransom.

players were all consulted and the leadership group got back to the chief bigwigs with their seal of approval and feedback, then the club knew everyone was on board and we got the deal done.

and what about grigga, he threw himself under a bus after no doubt chats with his mates at the club, the senior players and he yes a current player basically gave the list management a free kid. bloody hell dusty pretty much ended any chasing of bennell when asked his opinion/feedbck and mentioned with a giggle that he was a loose cannon and probably done his mummy impersontion as well :p
I think you’ve missed my point in that rant of yours and maybe even the whole context of the discussion. 🤪

The longer it goes on the more I think he’ll stay.
Like I’ve said before, and I do point out his failings.
He’s reliable.
I get it what TI is saying about a positive personality in the group is appreciated but it doesn’t really contribute, but what does is trust.
The players trust in Brandon’s strengths and weaknesses and so do the coaches.
Trust and confidence are two of the most important ingredients in bringing the best outve a playing group and you can’t buy it it’s an intangible you have to grow and build.
I personally would rather see the wings or at least one of em more attacking and creative...Naish can by foot so can Baker and I think Baker can play the space and get to contests better than Naish but I’m starting to think more and more Ellis will stay.

The game Ellis is playing today is better than just about anything Graham has dished up in 2 quarters.

Interesting bump.

I agree Brandon was good today and think he is having a decent year.

But Jack Graham's 3 goal Grand Final while locking down Rory Sloane was elite and no doubt the peak of his career.

Brando flying though.

Would still take the compo pick and go spend the cash elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back