Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

It's strange how when Vlastuin Broad Grimes Houli Short Astbury Cotchin Prestia and others stop and prop in our back half then go short and sideways they aren't momentum killers but when Ellis does he is.

Yep, they all do it, mostly they have to otherwise they would become 'turnover merchants' instead of 'momentum killers'. Brandon is more noticeable because he is in more space and his running action accentuates it just a little more. If anything kills him it is his decision making, but that's been improved a fair bit so far this season I would say. Not perfect, but no one can be.

Vlastuin is almost always brilliant.

Ellis is almost always middling. (being generous)

I wanted to agree, but that last bracket comment is a bit disingenuous for me to agree to. Ellis is often middling and occasionally top 5 in a really winning game - it's what wingers do. His bottom end shockers are less frequent which shows greater levels of concentration and being a good footy mate more often on the ground. He's grown up into the role I reckon. A keeper? Probably not in the circumstances he faces this year, for for the right contract deal, definitely.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond got smashed in the contested possession, again, by a lowly carlton... Same as most weeks

Pretty embarrassing tbh.

Who is to blame?
Well Prestia smashed them all game as he constantly turned 50/50 balls into attacking forays. 9 inside 50's! Ross got better as the game went. Edwards was good. But Cripps gets his hands on everything and had 37 possessions. Murphy had 29 and Curnow 34. So that would account for a good many, although apart from Murphy the other 2 had little hurt factor. The game was pretty even after 1/2 time and we rarely win clearances.

Well Prestia smashed them all game as he constantly turned 50/50 balls into attacking forays. 9 inside 50's! Ross got better as the game went. Edwards was good. But Cripps gets his hands on everything and had 37 possessions. Murphy had 29 and Curnow 34. So that would account for a good many, although apart from Murphy the other 2 had little hurt factor. The game was pretty even after 1/2 time and we rarely win clearances.

It felt different up to half time without seeing the numbers. It felt like we had contested ball ascendancy up to half time and lost it in the second half. Ans counter to that it felt like Ellis was better in the second half than the first, just to keep this Ellis relevant.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Got spanked in contested ball by Collingwood, Melbourne, GWS too

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Got spanked in contested ball by Collingwood, Melbourne, GWS too
And won all well. Perhaps getting first hands on the ball is not the be all and end all. It is our ability to spread out from the contests that sides struggle with. Once it gets in the hands of Edwards, Prestia, Lambert, Martin etc. it is to late. A bit like Anthony Miles, always got first hands on the ball, but never got much our of it because of his lack of spread and vision. Jack Graham also adds such heat that he makes opposition mids get rid of the ball quicker than they would like. Ross will help in there also.

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I watched most of the game but was a bit steaming so I can't really comment on how he went, his numbers are decent though.

But the first couple pages of the autopsy thread and Ellis keeps coming up for 'roast'.

And then it's the same 3 or 4 posters in here saying he played really well. When the main story outside this particular thread seems to be that he wasn't particularly good. Interesting.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I watched most of the game but was a bit steaming so I can't really comment on how he went, his numbers are decent though.

But the first couple pages of the autopsy thread and Ellis keeps coming up for 'roast'.

And then it's the same 3 or 4 posters in here saying he played really well. When the main story outside this particular thread seems to be that he wasn't particularly good. Interesting.

The ones with the bigger blinkers than racehorses

Sol23

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Do the lovers actually watch Brando on game day or just look at the stats on there phone? Only positive I see with him in his running ability... bad luck he’s playing footy and not a marathon runner. The sooner he’s out of the side the better.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Do the lovers actually watch Brando on game day or just look at the stats on there phone? Only positive I see with him in his running ability... bad luck he’s playing footy and not a marathon runner. The sooner he’s out of the side the better.

There are many elite runners in the game:

Curnow, Gibbons, Corbett, etc.

Gaff, Blicavs, Whitfield, etc.

Which category is bellis in?

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Yep, they all do it, mostly they have to otherwise they would become 'turnover merchants' instead of 'momentum killers'. Brandon is more noticeable because he is in more space and his running action accentuates it just a little more. If anything kills him it is his decision making, but that's been improved a fair bit so far this season I would say. Not perfect, but no one can be.
I would agree with that...

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
This thread has become truly pathetic, embarrassing.

People are allowed to have their opinions mate.

I’m currently in two minds about Ellis.

I’ll never call an AFL player soft, but there were some average efforts yesterday.

There was one bit of play where his lack of confidence and hesitation cost us a potential goal and turned the ball over to the blues.

He does some good thing, but he can be so frustrating to watch at times.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Equal 7th for contested possessions

lies lies and stats

contested possessions - Richmond - 2019 - averages

Prestia
Martin
Cotchin
Edwards
Lambert

Ross
Baker
Caddy
Vlastuin
Nankervis

People are allowed to have their opinions mate.

I’m currently in two minds about Ellis.

I’ll never call an AFL player soft, but there were some average efforts yesterday.

There was one bit of play where his lack of confidence and hesitation cost us a potential goal and turned the ball over to the blues.

He does some good thing, but he can be so frustrating to watch at times.

It should be clear when people call Ellis soft it means he is soft by afl standards

obviously in ammos or park footy he'd be very tough by comparison.

Footy is a tough and scary game at times, there is no shame is being less tough as Vlastuin, Grimes, Cotchin etc. The question is does it become a liability (at AFL standards/level) and can we continue to carry him? If there were not options in the 2s then there would be no need for a debate.

Ellis was not good yesterday and for the fanbois to say otherwise show they are seriously biases. Maybe delusional.

Thank you btw for not deleting too much stuff and allowing discussion. #GoodGuyMods #NotTheGestapo

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond

How important is our running ability in relation to winning games ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
So what

So what was Ellis actually do? bring to the party?

running is good to an extent but he is offensively or defensively great

meters gained avg:

1 Bachar Houli 488.76
2 Dustin Martin 445.50
3 Dion Prestia 432.80
4 Jayden Short 432.00
5 Trent Cotchin 362.00
6 Shane Edwards 311.84
7 Nick Vlastuin 299.21
8 Kane Lambert 298.06
9 Jack Ross 293.67
10 Jack Graham 288.25
11 Kamdyn Mcintosh 285.44
12 Brandon Ellis 282.67
13 Connor Menadue 262.00
14 Liam Baker 249.50
15 Josh Caddy 244.54
16 Noah Balta 244.08
17 Shai Bolton 243.79
18 Jason Castagna 242.95
19 Jack Riewoldt 242.50

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond

meters gained avg:

1 Bachar Houli 488.76
2 Dustin Martin 445.50
3 Dion Prestia 432.80
4 Jayden Short 432.00
5 Trent Cotchin 362.00
6 Shane Edwards 311.84
7 Nick Vlastuin 299.21
8 Kane Lambert 298.06
9 Jack Ross 293.67
10 Jack Graham 288.25
12 Brandon Ellis 282.67
13 Connor Menadue 262.00
14 Liam Baker 249.50
15 Josh Caddy 244.54
16 Noah Balta 244.08
17 Shai Bolton 243.79
18 Jason Castagna 242.95
19 Jack Riewoldt 242.50

Great .. no more Short bashing

meters gained avg:

1 Bachar Houli 488.76
2 Dustin Martin 445.50
3 Dion Prestia 432.80
4 Jayden Short 432.00
5 Trent Cotchin 362.00
6 Shane Edwards 311.84
7 Nick Vlastuin 299.21
8 Kane Lambert 298.06
9 Jack Ross 293.67
10 Jack Graham 288.25
12 Brandon Ellis 282.67
13 Connor Menadue 262.00
14 Liam Baker 249.50
15 Josh Caddy 244.54
16 Noah Balta 244.08
17 Shai Bolton 243.79
18 Jason Castagna 242.95
19 Jack Riewoldt 242.50
I think KiwiTiger mentioned the opposing wings and their roles...not sure it’s in this thread but pretty much inline with what RT laid out in terms of def trans on the skinny side and covering for others in fwd trans stuff.
Thats only when we have the ball though i’d imagine, making sense of all the systems is a little beyond me and my level to be honest.
Your right we have an option in the vfl with
Kmac, everything else is speculation.
I was alright with Ellis’s game in the context of that match and I do think a point Bartel made in the commentary about different players playing at different intensity contributes to being harder to play against and also having some who only play the percentages is a player who is easier to play with, especially in transition stuff I spose.
I think the thing that will probably contribute to Ellis missing a few games in the future if he stays is he doesn’t offer alot of flexibility.
I thought his first contest was good and I thought he was on, he had a moment or two where he took a couple of steps before he threw himself in but I don’t think he let anyone down.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
lies lies and stats

contested possessions - Richmond - 2019 - averages

Prestia
Martin
Cotchin
Edwards
Lambert

Ross
Baker
Caddy
Vlastuin
Nankervis

It should be clear when people call Ellis soft it means he is soft by afl standards

obviously in ammos or park footy he'd be very tough by comparison.

Footy is a tough and scary game at times, there is no shame is being less tough as Vlastuin, Grimes, Cotchin etc. The question is does it become a liability (at AFL standards/level) and can we continue to carry him? If there were not options in the 2s then there would be no need for a debate.

Ellis was not good yesterday and for the fanbois to say otherwise show they are seriously biases. Maybe delusional.

Thank you btw for not deleting too much stuff and allowing discussion. #GoodGuyMods #NotTheGestapo
No matter how you word your post it's still an opinion piece about your own bias regarding other poster's biases in regards to BEllis!
The only part I agree with is that Footy is a tough game...for all players!

Back