Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

I expect better than a straw man argument mate.

Why do you describe this as a straw man argument? My understanding is a straw man argument is when you falsely attribute your opponent in a debate with a weak argument(or straw man argument) that you can then defeat easily. You may think RT's argued position is not strong, but that is not what constitutes a straw man argument. That would go more like this:

A: Player X is a champion

B: Player x is not a champion because he has not won any major individual award

A: Why do you think it is necessary to win individual awards to be seen as a champion?

B: You are obviously one of these people who thinks anyone who plays one decent game is a champion and that is so wrong. (This is the straw man argument from B, he attributes A with a position that A did not take, the position is so weak that it can be easily defeated.)

The outer is an anonymous place too. Have you honestly never yelled out anything to an opposition player or umpire?

You're blind umpie!
You're a dud Tex!

And so on.

Or are there special rules that apply to our favourite players?

What were you saying about hypocrites?
We're all guilty, it's fun and its part of being a supporter bagging the "opposition" but a certain section here are intent on mercifully bagging one of our own, yes one of our own, not just a few times but relentlessly.

Everyone from the CEO down to the supporters know he has limitations, but his upside and value to the team far outweighs any shortcoming, something his haters, yes i use the term haters for a select few, continually fail to acknowledge.

Firstly, the outer, is not exactly anonymous as we've seen this year with fans being picked off for over the top abusive comments.

Secondly, a comment said in the heat of the moment at a game is different to someone sitting at a keyboard and taking the time to post a comment.

For a Realistic tiger you're being unrealistic mate.

So in a gameday thread I can call Ellis a squib (heat of the moment!) but afterwards i'm not allowed?

Next you'll be telling me that "squib" is over the and top abusive.

So in a gameday thread I can call Ellis a squib (heat of the moment!) but afterwards i'm not allowed?

I've yelled out at times Dusty has squibed it (pies game for example) but you get the chance to reflect after the game, and maybe take a closer look at the situation.
Ellis puts his head over tge ball and goes in harder far more often than the times he pulls out.
It has to me a mental process, because no way is he soft.

This is Foxfootys grand final rating for Ellis

Brandon Ellis 7
Laid a bone crunching tackle in the first term, which lifted teammates, and played out the match with the toughness that’s come to underpin his game in 2017.

For a Realistic tiger you're being unrealistic mate.

So now you're changing the criteria. At first it was when sitting in the outer, now it's when you're posting on a game day thread. Same principal applies, I've written things like gee that was poor or needed to go harder there and probably even called someone soft when watching interstate games and posting on the game day thread, we've all done it.

But when you're involved in a mid week discussion on an internet forum with plenty of time to compose your thoughts and express them in more detail to simply wheel out the 'he's soft' line to me shows a lack of respect and is little more than baiting those you're in discussion with.

We're all guilty, it's fun and its part of being a supporter bagging the "opposition" but a certain section here are intent on mercifully bagging one of our own, yes one of our own, not just a few times but relentlessly.
There’s always been players that are bagged, players come and go but it’s our jumper.
Jarred Oakley Nichols, Adam Houlihan,Tivendale don’t forget Mark Neeld played for us and Clinton King...I need to stop.
Everyone here has got a right to be critical of a player I reckon and shutting people down because you don’t like it is as bad as the
“He’s sh.t”
or the
“Leave Britney alone” argument.

More Closer to missed tackles. He doesn’t really stop the person as he’s physically not strong enough. Looks like a headless chook bouncing all over the place. We can’t be serious about taking this guy into September. He’s lifeless when it comes to impact and players just brush him away too easily.
Then add his lack of vision and panic when players are on his hammer.
He puts us under a lot of unnecessary pressure and is only surviving the season bc of our injuries.

Not strong enough? can i have some of your drugs please.

There’s always been players that are bagged, players come and go but it’s our jumper.
Jarred Oakley Nichols, Adam Houlihan,Tivendale don’t forget Mark Neeld played for us and Clinton King...I need to stop.
Everyone here has got a right to be critical of a player I reckon and shutting people down because you don’t like it is as bad as the
“He’s sh.t”
or the
“Leave Britney alone” argument.
All those players were bagged and for a reason, but Ellis is 10x the player of all those listed, and even then the ones you mentioned never had this type of "unwarranted" abuse aimed at them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not everyone in the everyday world gets respect so why would it change just because your an afl player?
I you want to put them up on a pedestal and not have a fair dinkum opinion on them that’s your call, but these blokes are highly paid and in the public eye and the general public/blokes on here are entitled to voice there opinion on them. We really have become a sensitive pathetic nanny state if people really are taking offence to words like soft.

What word in the football world is there more offensive to a player than soft ? If you are using that about a Premiership Richmond player who is still part of a successful team .. don’t sook if some Richmond supporters take offence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So now you're changing the criteria. At first it was when sitting in the outer, now it's when you're posting on a game day thread. Same principal applies, I've written things like gee that was poor or needed to go harder there and probably even called someone soft when watching interstate games and posting on the game day thread, we've all done it.

But when you're involved in a mid week discussion on an internet forum with plenty of time to compose your thoughts and express them in more detail to simply wheel out the 'he's soft' line to me shows a lack of respect and is little more than baiting those you're in discussion with.

Righio.

It's not allowed to call anyone soft because it's disrespectful. Unless it's in the heat of the moment in which case it's ok.

However you are allowed to call them soft if you can say it to their face.

And not only that, anyone who uses the word soft is simply baiting other posters rather than actually believing it.

Anything I missed?

Righio.

It's not allowed to call anyone soft because it's disrespectful. Unless it's in the heat of the moment in which case it's ok.

However you are allowed to call them soft if you can say it to their face.

And not only that, anyone who uses the word soft is simply baiting other posters rather than actually believing it.

Anything I missed?
Sigh

Never said it's not allowed, just that I find it disrespectful.

I also realise that it will be said in the heat of the moment when watching a game, guilty of that myself.

I find it hypocritical that posters on an anonymous forum will label a player soft, but won't say it directly to them. I was taught that if you have an opinion about someone then have the courage of your convictions to say it to the person you're talking about.

As for baiting as it was explained previously calling a player soft is the ultimate insult and doing so to a player that plays for the club you support to me is nothing more than baiting other posters to draw a heated response. Interestingly that since it was called out those that did so have gone rather quiet.

Sigh

Never said it's not allowed, just that I find it disrespectful.

And blatantly inaccurate. An occasional action or inaction doesn't define a person. Play the ball not the man!

both love and hate bellis to be honest. nearly every game he's good for 25 odd disposals and some score involvements/forward 50 entries but he's also good for 4 or 5 hospital kicks/handballs to teammates or just pure spud moments. he has never changed over his entire career aside from a couple of 5 game streaks with less bad. i think we could do without but if we offer him low like i believe we have, i woudln't mind keeping him on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back