Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to help us, how about you give us a couple of run of time moments (eg Q4 - 11.26) that these events have actually taken place if you have a copy of the replay to pick them out. Be really interesting to spot them.
You can watch all Ellis' involvements in the game from yesterday here. Doesn't show some of those things that aren't credited as a stat but there are some pieces of play that do highlight what happens as a result of him being in those positions.

Loved that play in the second quarter, when he was faced with a 1 v 2 on at outlet kick at our D50 GSS side. He had to go against the WCE ruck and one other. And he did.

Haere Ra
Yep, I’m not his biggest fan, but people saying he was soft are just way over the top, not the hardest player on the list, but goes in when it’s his turn.

Haters looking for needle in a hay stack right now
He has won a few over gradually, so good on him and good on a few tiger fans for sticking with him and reconsidering that a few flaws still means he Aint Dusty, but still a bloody good player and lets get on with it as we have a flag to win.

Ive not long been home from melbourne but thought id get on here and give him just a little credit.
Out of 10 i reckon id give him a 6.5. probably would have been more but there were a couple of occasions i wasnt very happy with.

Solid game but imo he is not a player id be taking into finals and i really believe he could easily be upgraded on.
Anyway kudos to him on a decent game. Surprising what can happen if you take it on a little bit although in saying that its still heart in mouth stuff at times.

If i was going to have a go at anyone this week it probably would be Lambert and Rioli and there are a few others who just didnt have enough impact while doing some nice things.

Will say the game went a little way in restoring some faith back in the game. Actually enjoyed watching it for once.

He has won a few over gradually, so good on him and good on a few tiger fans for sticking with him and reconsidering that a few flaws still means he Aint Dusty, but still a bloody good player and lets get on with it as we have a flag to win.

Yeah but as you can see there are those who talk him down when pretending to give him a little bit of credit, that’s just hate

Yeah but as you can see there are those who talk him down when pretending to give him a little bit of credit, that’s just hate
do you really think a good game here or there is going to change what the 6 or 7 yr body of evidence yells at us.

Some posters have been gracious enough to acknowledge the good game but its not an endoorsment of the player or his career and why should it be.Its one bloody game ffs.

Ive not seen too many if any wowsers here, who support him no end ever say hes had a bad game.If they do its usually laced with excuses.

On Brando’s game I would like to say it was probably the hardest he’s ever played in a Tiger jumper in his 170 odd games, but it took him awhile to get going and he wasn’t on his lonesome. In the first quarter he was hardly sighted and was beaten at two contests bc he gave his opponents too much latitude. His only impact in the first half of the game was that great piece of play at the 24min mark of the second that KT mentioned. Wind the clock forward to the 26min mark and he undoes his great work bc he makes the wrong option of trying to win the ball rather than kill it over the line to force a stoppage and allowed the bigger bodied Eagle to get the ball down to a runner who sends it forward. He half committed to the contest. Fortunately the BL cover his tail.
In the third quarter he went head to head with his opponents and was doing a lot of elite gut running , chain involvement work and excellent defensive work as well as forcing stoppages . Again in the last , but Gaff got him twice during the last bc he set up at the CB 10-15m off him. He went to our defensive side paying him no respect and was ball watching which when we lost the clearances Gaff waltzed away with it. He then contributed in the final winning goal which spilled out to him and he made the right option. Nothing outstanding as it was what you would expect from a senior player asking for big bucks. At least he made the right decision.
Move the clock forward to 2:01 left on the clock where Dusty makes a brilliant one on one play and taps it to Short who delivers to Lambert who opens up space for Brando where Brando has four choices to make. Probably too many for a footballer who has often been a poor decision maker ( not always 😔)when provided with too many options.

Option 1
Run 5m and bang the ball home for a point or goal to force the Eagles needing two kicks to get in front . Ignores this😛

Option 2
Or just to the top of the square to Jack who is one out.Ignores this 😝

Option 3
I can’t identify the player , but it appears to be Rioli who makes an easy lead and is waving and screaming like a mad man . All Brando has to do is a regulation 20m kick.
This would have given us a set shot with option 1 then in play and 30s off the clock. Ignores this😝

Option 4
He totally burns Rioli ?? in option 2 above where he’s facing him and stops and turns perpendicular to the play to chip kick it to Dusty less than 10m away where a stoppage is forced. He’s then trying to claim a free kick for us as Dusty is bulldozed to the ground. We lose the stoppage and our BL is then forced to defend again when we should have been having another shot at goal earlier. 🥴

Page 35 and post 866 from Marmik
shows this footage:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...oast-and-changes-for-brisbane.1226082/page-35

As I admire him for being a premiership player for us and all of his gut busting endurance work and ability to play the odd run with role his shortcomings are still there. Those being a lack of awareness , often poor decision making and his short chip chip game. It all looks good when he’s playing the Suns and lesser lights, but ghastly when you need him in the clinch games.
I have a real concern with him at the CB as he runs almost immediately to the defensive side of the square which is obviously part of some plan we have with him working with the defence, but it was ugly yesterday and he was burnt on it three times and Caddy once. He was involved in at least three Eagle goals that I saw yesterday and he cocked one up right near the end for us.
I feel a bit sorry for him bc the club has almost made him too defensive and removed his attacking strengths . One being his ability to go to full speed and accelerate from a standing start over a short distance .He could be so much more damaging if he went side by side with his opponent at CB as I reckon he could beat most to the ball. Instead he’s often positioned in a negative situation where if we lose the clearances he’s cooked or if we win the ball he’s forced under pressure to set up play from our defensive side of 50.
He’s still best 22 bc there’s really nobody who has the tank to do his role and nobody quite physically ready or mature for a major finals role.
In the end it will come to is Brando worth the money he demands for his few positives, weighed up against his flaws considering a few kids will be one year better prepared by next year. I personally see his worth for this season only for a bloke who rarely takes the game on for the position he plays .
IMO this makes him replaceable.
He is ranked 12th on our autopsy thread in terms of votes which is spot on. Out of our senior players he’s battling it out with Short Rioli and Caddy in the bottom of that list who I also have concerns with. We can all see his good things, but with games like yesterday his weaknesses need to also be mentioned and of course every player has both. I’m sure somebody will mention Dusty😂, but it’s the positives v negatives and Brando’s are borderline on balance.
That play in the 24th minute of the second was absolutely ripping and the hands of his opponents hitting his body sounded like a whip being cracked and was my play of the day yesterday bc he took on his opponents and the game and used his biggest asset in sheer leg speed to break away. I was lucky my sister had called me down to that flank only minutes before and I was shocked how much better he looked taking the game on and playing to his strengths.
More of this Brando please and less stop and chip chip rubbish.

do you really think a good game here or there is going to change what the 6 or 7 yr body of evidence yells at us.

Some posters have been gracious enough to acknowledge the good game but its not an endoorsment of the player or his career and why should it be.Its one bloody game ffs.

Ive not seen too many if any wowsers here, who support him no end ever say hes had a bad game.If they do its usually laced with excuses.
a good game here or there? He's played most games like on the weekend all year, and four or five better.

On Brando’s game I would like to say it was probably the hardest he’s ever played in a Tiger jumper in his 170 odd games, but it took him awhile to get going and he wasn’t on his lonesome. In the first quarter he was hardly sighted and was beaten at two contests bc he gave his opponents too much latitude. His only impact in the first half of the game was that great piece of play at the 24min mark of the second that KT mentioned. Wind the clock forward to the 26min mark and he undoes his great work bc he makes the wrong option of trying to win the ball rather than kill it over the line to force a stoppage and allowed the bigger bodied Eagle to get the ball down to a runner who sends it forward. He half committed to the contest. Fortunately the BL cover his tail.
In the third quarter he went head to head with his opponents and was doing a lot of elite gut running , chain involvement work and excellent defensive work as well as forcing stoppages . Again in the last , but Gaff got him twice during the last bc he set up at the CB 10-15m off him. He went to our defensive side paying him no respect and was ball watching which when we lost the clearances Gaff waltzed away with it. He then contributed in the final winning goal which spilled out to him and he made the right option. Nothing outstanding as it was what you would expect from a senior player asking for big bucks. At least he made the right decision.
Move the clock forward to 2:01 left on the clock where Dusty makes a brilliant one on one play and taps it to Short who delivers to Lambert who opens up space for Brando where Brando has four choices to make. Probably too many for a footballer who has often been a poor decision maker ( not always 😔)when provided with too many options.

Option 1
Run 5m and bang the ball home for a point or goal to force the Eagles needing two kicks to get in front . Ignores this😛

Option 2
Or just to the top of the square to Jack who is one out.Ignores this 😝

Option 3
I can’t identify the player , but it appears to be Rioli who makes an easy lead and is waving and screaming like a mad man . All Brando has to do is a regulation 20m kick.
This would have given us a set shot with option 1 then in play and 30s off the clock. Ignores this😝

Option 4
He totally burns Rioli ?? in option 2 above where he’s facing him and stops and turns perpendicular to the play to chip kick it to Dusty less than 10m away where a stoppage is forced. He’s then trying to claim a free kick for us as Dusty is bulldozed to the ground. We lose the stoppage and our BL is then forced to defend again when we should have been having another shot at goal earlier. 🥴

Page 35 and post 866 from Marmik
shows this footage:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...oast-and-changes-for-brisbane.1226082/page-35

As I admire him for being a premiership player for us and all of his gut busting endurance work and ability to play the odd run with role his shortcomings are still there. Those being a lack of awareness , often poor decision making and his short chip chip game. It all looks good when he’s playing the Suns and lesser lights, but ghastly when you need him in the clinch games.
I have a real concern with him at the CB as he runs almost immediately to the defensive side of the square which is obviously part of some plan we have with him working with the defence, but it was ugly yesterday and he was burnt on it three times and Caddy once. He was involved in at least three Eagle goals that I saw yesterday and he cocked one up right near the end for us.
I feel a bit sorry for him bc the club has almost made him too defensive and removed his attacking strengths . One being his ability to go to full speed and accelerate from a standing start over a short distance .He could be so much more damaging if he went side by side with his opponent at CB as I reckon he could beat most to the ball. Instead he’s often positioned in a negative situation where if we lose the clearances he’s cooked or if we win the ball he’s forced under pressure to set up play from our defensive side of 50.
He’s still best 22 bc there’s really nobody who has the tank to do his role and nobody quite physically ready or mature for a major finals role.
In the end it will come to is Brando worth the money he demands for his few positives, weighed up against his flaws considering a few kids will be one year better prepared by next year. I personally see his worth for this season only for a bloke who rarely takes the game on for the position he plays .
IMO this makes him replaceable.
He is ranked 12th on our autopsy thread in terms of votes which is spot on. Out of our senior players he’s battling it out with Short Rioli and Caddy in the bottom of that list who I also have concerns with. We can all see his good things, but with games like yesterday his weaknesses need to also be mentioned and of course every player has both. I’m sure somebody will mention Dusty😂, but it’s the positives v negatives and Brando’s are borderline on balance.
That play in the 24th minute of the second was absolutely ripping and the hands of his opponents hitting his body sounded like a whip being cracked and was my play of the day yesterday bc he took on his opponents and the game and used his biggest asset in sheer leg speed to break away. I was lucky my sister had called me down to that flank only minutes before and I was shocked how much better he looked taking the game on and playing to his strengths.
More of this Brando please and less stop and chip chip rubbish.
yep there were a few occasions that he let himself down with.and as i said there are always heart in mouth moments with this player regardless of what happens.As posted overall i thought his game decent but he sure aint my cup of tea and we seriously should be looking for an upgrade.

a good game here or there? He's played most games like on the weekend all year, and four or five better.

Exactly he’s been the exact opposite , an average to bad game here or there , like most of his career, like most players including superstars , as I said, some people just hate, some just choose to hate a player for no reason, really hoping he stays with us and I have zero care what the club pays him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IM not going to lol at you like you do with most of my posts which just makes me think your immature.

What i will say though is that the whole crux of the debate is just how good or poor hes been most of the time. Obviously you think hes been okay or god forbid even good and then theresw those of us who think hes been quite ordinary.

So no he has not played most games well and thats a point we will have to disagree on. Id say god awful at times and very scared in most games.

IM not going to lol at you like you do with most of my posts which just makes me think your immature.

What i will say though is that the whole crux of the debate is just how good or poor hes been most of the time. Obviously you think hes been okay or god forbid even good and then theresw those of us who think hes been quite ordinary.

So no he has not played most games well and thats a point we will have to disagree on. Id say god awful at times and very scared in most games.

While that post isn’t directed at me, I’m gonna have to agree to disagree with everything you said in that post

Exactly he’s been the exact opposite , an average to bad game here or there , like most of his career, like most players including superstars , as I said, some people just hate, some just choose to hate a player for no reason, really hoping he stays with us and I have zero care what the club pays him
I’m sorry nobody hates him so get this childish thought out of your head. I actually admire him considering he’s an average player and he’s achieved a premiership medal 🏅 for the greatest club on Earth. I think it’s more the hate you hold against posters who express an opinion contrary to yours.
We can discuss him without this immaturity use of words such as Hate.

Sometimes you have good things to say, like the Eagles preview thread, as you obviously know more about the Eagles than Richmond, so you brought good ballance.
But on Ellis you show nothing but ignorance and dislike of the individual.

I’m sorry nobody hates him so get this childish thought out of your head. I actually admire him considering he’s an average player and he’s achieved a premiership medal 🏅 for the greatest club on Earth. I think it’s more the hate you hold against posters who express an opinion contrary to yours.
We can discuss him without this immaturity use of words such as Hate.

All for having a discussion with anyone on here that has opinions contrary to mine, however I see lines of hate and immaturity in those who continue to criticise when it’s not due, and likely for likes as well.

I will not continue on that with you, as it is off topic

#beliisisagun

I think he fulfills an important role in the side, you need guys that run hard into space. At least one of him or McIntosh is good for our balance.

Yeah maybe he has some soft moments but I think his spacing on the field is really good

Perhaps if I hadn't player footy for over 25 years, I might be a bit more careful claiming what I'm saying, but that Ellis ball, whilst crucial in relation to the time of the game, the action he was involved in was regulation enough. That's what they simulate at training. It was well executed, no question, but I'd say it has been a bit amped up for effect by certain people. Clearly we have different experiences if you think Jack's kicking of that goal was less significant than Ellis's pick up and handball.
significant is a word i did not use, you must have missed my point coz the lynch lunge was desperate, the jack goal was the joyful finish, but ellis swooping up a spinning shank and the feed off to jack in one clean fast movement with split second timing to allow jack to quickly slam on his boot was the highlight for me. it was not as regulation given the situation.

significant is a word i did not use, you must have missed my point coz the lynch lunge was desperate, the jack goal was the joyful finish, but ellis swooping up a spinning shank and the feed off to jack in one clean fast movement with split second timing to allow jack to quickly slam on his boot was the highlight for me. it was not as regulation given the situation.
Seen a few different camera angles on the footy shows tonight, and it was very impressive. The speed it all happenend, and almost sandwiched between two Eagles bearing down on him to be so clean and pick the correct option was brilliant. For anyone to say he had an easy possession is just ludicrous.

The argument about Ellis being far more quiet in finals can’t be argued against, it’s happened.
But he paid the price last season when his form was showing signs that it wouldn’t stand up when it counted but to his credit he put the head down and has had another very solid season more like those prior to 2018, and as a result has earned his opportunity at redemption for last season missing finals and a chance to play a big part in these upcoming finals as a seasoned player who’s been there and done that.

The argument about Ellis being far more quiet in finals can’t be argued against, it’s happened.
But he paid the price last season when his form was showing signs that it wouldn’t stand up when it counted but to his credit he put the head down and has had another very solid season more like those prior to 2018, and as a result has earned his opportunity at redemption for last season missing finals and a chance to play a big part in these upcoming finals as a seasoned player who’s been there and done that.
But what about the main final, the Grand Final, he was very good.

He played a good role like everyone . I’m not a Brando basher in any way but just acknowledging that his numbers drop in finals. Most players do but he does quite dramatically.

Even the thing you posted didn't say he was very good. He got a 6-7 which as I mentioned, in a win is generally pretty average. Very hard to be rated below a 6 in a 7 goal win. The exact same game in a loss usually gets rated a 5. You can argue he played his role (which isn't saying too much about a defender in a game we dominated) but to say he was very good is a stretch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back