Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t get why McIntosh is being overlooked for Brando, I just don’t get it. He runs all day like Eliis, but, he doesn’t flinch when body contact is coming, puts two arms up when a hit is coming and is taller with better leg speed(I think?). Perhaps it’s kicking efficiency? It’s the only thing I can think of as to why we are playing Ellis ahead of him.
Must be close to a recall though as he was out on the ground pregame on Sunday warming up
Lol so we are choosing players on their ability to take a hit , OK LOLL

What you bozos fail to understand is that Ellis is a winger, he is there to link up play provide outside run , run all day etc. He aves 20+ and does two way running. Most of the crap on here is about his ability to take a hit. The man has taken many hits before. The most significant in the qf vs danger. Yet he is still crucified for it.

He should be judged on his role. So far this year he has done well and ticked that box. He was quietish on the weekend , but who doesn't have quiet games ? I have seen Edwards etc have quiet games and noone bags him. Overall he deserves his spot in the team.

The fact is his bashers in this thread don't like him because he isn't your hard mean looking campaigner who gives big hits and takes them. He is your outside man and to the old fashioned people here stuck in the past here it is considered "soft". Every player in the team has a role.

If he wants to leave for more cash that's up to him but so far this year he has done great

Whilst he shows glimpses of bravery at times (dangerfield incident ) Brandon Ellis is a timid outside player and the players are aware of this with the way they come to him when he does do something brave that doesnt come natural to him. Not saying he is not a good player and he has been at times during his career but i think the Richmond Football Club now have better options in the wings and if i had a choice between McIntosh v Ellis i would be selecting McIntosh every time against Brisbane.

Out: Ellis , Balta
In : Nankervis , McIntosh

What you bozos fail to understand is that Ellis is a winger, he is there to link up play provide outside run , run all day etc. He aves 20+ and does two way running. Most of the crap on here is about his ability to take a hit. The man has taken many hits before. The most significant in the qf vs danger. Yet he is still crucified for it.

He should be judged on his role. So far this year he has done well and ticked that box. He was quietish on the weekend , but who doesn't have quiet games ? I have seen Edwards etc have quiet games and noone bags him. Overall he deserves his spot in the team.

The fact is his bashers in this thread don't like him because he isn't your hard mean looking campaigner who gives big hits and takes them. He is your outside man and to the old fashioned people here stuck in the past here it is considered "soft". Every player in the team has a role.

If he wants to leave for more cash that's up to him but so far this year he has done great
Basic football and general commonsense is lost on his detractors. They twist all possitives into negatives. Confirmation Bias reigns supreme with that mob.

Not at all, I judge on his impetus in the game. He is just an okay player in my eyes. I would love to see him impact games more, especially in big game and especially this finals series, even if it is defensively ie stopping McCluggage from doing as he liked, hence the MacIntosh comment.

Basic football and general commonsense is lost on his detractors. They twist all possitives into negatives. Confirmation Bias reigns supreme with that mob.
In relation to Brandon Ellis you are by far and away the most biased poster on this board. Have you ever mentioned a negative, and all players have them.

In relation to Brandon Ellis you are by far and away the most biased poster on this board. Have you ever mentioned a negative, and all players have them.
If you bother to look you should notice on numerous occasions i mention he has obvious deficiencies. But just like Dimma, id rather focus on the possitives he brings to the side, a side thats red hot favorites for the premiership, unlike you who whilst occasionally give him some credit, prefere to focus solely on his negatives.

Not at all, I judge on his impetus in the game. He is just an okay player in my eyes. I would love to see him impact games more, especially in big game and especially this finals series, even if it is defensively ie stopping McCluggage from doing as he liked, hence the MacIntosh comment.
That might be you but you have to admit many here judge him on how hard he is , when he plays a good game some guy posts some fuzzy two second clip of him not going in as hard. When he is quiet everyone comes on here and after a great win to say how bad he was ...

It's that type of stuff that makes me think , why him ? Lots of players has instances in games that they wouldn't be proud of. Everyone's love child atm vlastuin shanked a kick on the weekend . And caused a score or goal.
If that was Ellis I bet it would be highlighted
Yet Ellis on the weekend provided a wonderful laceout kick to jack for goal and that wasn't bought up at all

You remind me so much of Prodigy when he was supporting Ben Lennon & Corey Ellis
Difference is Lennon and c Ellis aren't premiership 150 gamers. B Ellis is a proven good player...
Feel like we are talking about some 23 game spud here the way we go about him.
Did he play 100 odd games he doesn't deserve ? LOL

What a ridiculous reply, sure I don’t like it when he puts one arm up for a mark if he thinks contact is coming, but I can wear that if he’s killing it in his role.
I was just pointing out that I think McIntosh is a better option, in my opinion. And it’s only kicking efficiency that may stop that happening?
Brandon doesn’t like body contact, and it just stands out on occasions. McIntosh never flinches and plays the role as well as Brandon, just my opinion.

Difference is Lennon and c Ellis aren't premiership 150 gamers. B Ellis is a proven good player...
Feel like we are talking about some 23 game spud here the way we go about him.
Did he play 100 odd games he doesn't deserve ? LOL
I was not actually comparing players but more the way Baazaar was defending the said player

Has anyone blamed Ellis for the turnover in the middle of the ground where Prestia(?) grubbed a kick to him in the second quarter and the Lions goaled?
No but he should have done a hell of a lot better than what he did. Once again he was worried about the contact rather than just grabbing the ball and disposing of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrong.
JC was correct, defending a player of Ellis's quality to someone pumping up Lennon and Cellis is beyond ridiculous
Again !!!

Its the way you defend him unconditionally even after he plays bad games, Nobody here has denied his playing history or his role playing in the past but to totally deny why he was dropped last year and to not see his deficiencies last week and also at certain times is just blind bias from you

If you bother to look you should notice on numerous occasions i mention he has obvious deficiencies. But just like Dimma, id rather focus on the possitives he brings to the side, a side thats red hot favorites for the premiership, unlike you who whilst occasionally give him some credit, prefere to focus solely on his negatives.
Okay, but he hasn't played anywhere near as good in the back half of the season as he had earlier in the year, so those positives, of which he has and I have always hoped that he would use, are starting to wear thin.

That might be you but you have to admit many here judge him on how hard he is , when he plays a good game some guy posts some fuzzy two second clip of him not going in as hard. When he is quiet everyone comes on here and after a great win to say how bad he was ...

It's that type of stuff that makes me think , why him ? Lots of players has instances in games that they wouldn't be proud of. Everyone's love child atm vlastuin shanked a kick on the weekend . And caused a score or goal.
If that was Ellis I bet it would be highlighted
Yet Ellis on the weekend provided a wonderful laceout kick to jack for goal and that wasn't bought up at all
i mentioned it if not the single incident but praised him for his run fwd and his disposals going fwd of which the riewoldt pass was one of them.yet because i comment on the whole of his game which in reality was ordinary im too negative.

Also he would not want to be judged on how hard he is, because without a doubt he is one of the softest players in the entire league. Its not just this he is criticsed for his lack of run with ball in hand his indecision with ball in hand and his lack of accountability and lousy defense are all constants.They are constants for a damn good reason because they simply constantly occur.

I make no apologies for criticising these things and daring to point them out as part of the whole picture when talking about ellis.

I will go out of my way totalk about them when posters are clearly going out of their way to talk up poor performances and weak efforts.

i mentioned it if not the single incident but praised him for his run fwd and his disposals going fwd of which the riewoldt pass was one of them.yet because i comment on the whole of his game which in reality was ordinary im too negative.

Also he would not want to be judged on how hard he is, because without a doubt he is one of the softest players in the entire league. Its not just this he is criticsed for his lack of run with ball in hand his indecision with ball in hand and his lack of accountability and lousy defense are all constants.They are constants for a damn good reason because they simply constantly occur.

I make no apologies for criticising these things and daring to point them out as part of the whole picture when talking about ellis.

I will go out of my way totalk about them when posters are clearly going out of their way to talk up poor performances and weak efforts.
Agree, his defensive lack of intensity stands out at times. Noticed he often Doesn’t run to cover oppositions free man at times. And panic handballs/kicks way too often.
Mind you, he has some damn fine attributes such as his marking that I really value. He’s tough to love is Brando, sure has many great attributes but his flaws are in the wrong areas as they can be very costly at times imo.
Won’t be unhappy if we keep him but not too sad if he goes. As I’ve said, I prefer McIntosh in his role but that’s just my opinion which matters little to the Club

Needs face tattoos for some

Ask Balme what a fair deal for Conca was???
Conca was coming off multiple injury interrupted seasons and was offered more security/opportunity to return home than what we were prepared to offer. Ellis has played over 20 games a season for 8 years on average barely missed with injury and it was only Dimma focusing on his negatives rather than his positives that cost him his spot last year.
It’s not about Ellis' quantity sometimes, but more about his role and impact.
This is what you meant to post wasn't it? ;)

How do you know? You’re not making things up again are you? Only say things if they’re facts as people can’t take you seriously otherwise. The reality is Balme has half driven him out if you think about it enough.
Unintentionally ironic????

No but he should have done a hell of a lot better than what he did. Once again he was worried about the contact rather than just grabbing the ball and disposing of it.
Maybe if Prestia hits his kick better instead of having it bounce 3/4 of the way to Ellis he may have done better than what eventuated, but heaven forbid we blame someone else for a poor disposal.

For those playing along at home Ellis' first quarter:
5.34 - Mark I50 and hits up Castagna 25m out who kicks out on the full
6.41 - Should have received a free kick for dropping the ball against McCarthy
9.53 - wins contested possession in the centre square, goes to Caddy who goes to Prestia who hits up George who misses the goal
20.07 - tackled Bailey inside D50 which covers for Shorts horrible kick across goal, Rioli gathers loose ball and clears D50.
20.52 - receives from Houli and hits up Jack 40m out who goals
28.43 - provides support to Baker who is running up the wing, gives to Graham who turns it over after being pressured, would need to be Usain Bolt to have shepherded for Graham
30.38 - wins a stoppage clearance inside D50 and a deft handball to Houli allows us to clear D50 with 30 seconds left before 1/4 time.

By my reckoning he should have had 2 direct goal assists/3 score involvements if George converts 2 easy chances, stopped an easy turnover 30m out from the Lions goal with a defensive effort and helped us avoid conceding a last second goal by winning a clearance inside D50. Not bad for a player who had a no impact in the first quarter.

Easily said the other way too if wanted - all pretty meaningless!

Conca was coming off multiple injury interrupted seasons and was offered more security/opportunity to return home than what we were prepared to offer. Ellis has played over 20 games a season for 8 years on average barely missed with injury and it was only Dimma focusing on his negatives rather than his positives that cost him his spot last year.

This is what you meant to post wasn't it? ;)

Unintentionally ironic????

Maybe if Prestia hits his kick better instead of having it bounce 3/4 of the way to Ellis he may have done better than what eventuated, but heaven forbid we blame someone else for a poor disposal.

For those playing along at home Ellis' first quarter:
5.34 - Mark I50 and hits up Castagna 25m out who kicks out on the full
6.41 - Should have received a free kick for dropping the ball against McCarthy
9.53 - wins contested possession in the centre square, goes to Caddy who goes to Prestia who hits up George who misses the goal
20.07 - tackled Bailey inside D50 which covers for Shorts horrible kick across goal, Rioli gathers loose ball and clears D50.
20.52 - receives from Houli and hits up Jack 40m out who goals
28.43 - provides support to Baker who is running up the wing, gives to Graham who turns it over after being pressured, would need to be Usain Bolt to have shepherded for Graham
30.38 - wins a stoppage clearance inside D50 and a deft handball to Houli allows us to clear D50 with 30 seconds left before 1/4 time.

By my reckoning he should have had 2 direct goal assists/3 score involvements if George converts 2 easy chances, stopped an easy turnover 30m out from the Lions goal with a defensive effort and helped us avoid conceding a last second goal by winning a clearance inside D50. Not bad for a player who had a no impact in the first quarter.
Conca played finals and was atrocious. In the end Balme said bye bye as we had better coming up.
He played 18games in 2018.
If you thought Ellis had any impact on Sunday then you better go to SpecSavers.
If you’re going to accuse someone for being unintentionally ironic then give an example otherwise you’re being a pot. Also make sure it’s in context to whom and what they were quoted for.
For the kick by Prestia to Ellis it doesn’t matter how much you sugar coat it, he s**t himself. Move on RT he had a howler of a day.

Last edited:
I’ve always liked the guy and how he made it from a commission flat to a premiership player. Never loved him as a player but do realize he plays a gut running role.
Myself and a mate went Sunday and we watched him closely. No doubt in my mind he runs himself ragged and presents as a link.
Equally no doubt he has a massive aversion to running with a high ball in flight, and marking overhead when there’s contact coming.... he pulled out a few times when he should have contested.
I’m not a hater... he does play a role and is worthy of best 22, but do believe he can be replaced adequately as well if he leaves.

That's rubbish! You simply cannot say many and know what that means as the noun that it is. The majority don't say that, pure and simple. That's the problem with the rosy ones, take minimal positions and try to make it a maximum view. There are a precious few that match your critiscim. The majority accept and acknowledge Ellis is having a mostly good to very good season. We like that nearly as much as you do. The majority though are just not as unconditional as you. We cheer him, you cheer him, we comment on a weakness or a bad game, you don't. It's just differences. Just don't call a few, many. It just sounds silly.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back