Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

As soon as one of them struggles for a bit of form the usual suspects will pile in with their superior footy minds and tell us all how bad so and so is. Notice how none of them have questioned the likes of Graham or Townsend or Lambert as they struggled to have the same impact they had to end last season. You have to wonder why that is given they are always so keen to point out how others have so many deficiencies that should see them banished from the team forever.
BEllis was s**t in last years finals as well.

BEllis was s**t in last years finals as well.
How much influence did Brandons direct opponent Charlie Cameron have on Grand Final Day?

I think you will find BEllis wasn't the only one playing on Cameron.
Was his direct opponent on the day, but lets ignore that as it doesn't fit the narrative that Brandon is playing crap because he isn't getting 18-20 disposals 3-4 clearances 4-5 tackles 10-12 contested possessions & kicking 1-2 goals like it seems some on here thinks he needs to get to be playing well.

Was his direct opponent on the day, but lets ignore that as it doesn't fit the narrative that Brandon is playing crap because he isn't getting 18-20 disposals 3-4 clearances 4-5 tackles 10-12 contested possessions & kicking 1-2 goals like it seems some on here thinks he needs to get to be playing well.
My criticism is based on this years form which has been awful. His kicking is atrocious and he has s**t himself when he needed to put his body on the line. I'm wondering where the kid is that almost split Dangerfield in 2 in the qualifying final last year? I've seen him pull out of more than one contest this year and craps himself when he is tackled. He can turn it around but so far he has been dreadful.

My criticism is based on this years form which has been awful. His kicking is atrocious and he has s**t himself when he needed to put his body on the line. I'm wondering where the kid is that almost split Dangerfield in 2 in the qualifying final last year? I've seen him pull out of more than one contest this year and craps himself when he is tackled. He can turn it around but so far he has been dreadful.
No doubt his form hasn't been at it's best this season, but he is playing his role and he isn't the only player that has pulled out of a contest.

Was slightly worried about Marlon Brandos start to the year especially the first two rounds was panicking in traffic and when he got the ball was a blast kick to get rid of it when he had plenty of time to settle and hit a pass or handball.. Last few weeks I think he has started to get back to last year's form and composing him self and using the ball quite well on most occasions. . Love the way he shows passion for the club when the song gets sung he is one that sings it with a lot of gusto everytime and always gets around his team mates on the field so I have no doubt he will give his all to improve and we will be seeing Brando back to his best in no time. .

The "blast kick" was gameplan in those first couple of games. It worked so well in the GF, they clearly decided to keep that territory game going. There were a lot of players including Edwards, Cotchin and Houli who were just throwing it on the boot on the fast break and trying to get a ball bouncing awkwardly into our F50. It looked like it was being overused and they have now started moving the ball quickly with a lot more handball chains.

Yes and I visited the Yarran , TV , Hampson , Morris , Chapman threads and I could have sworn you copy and pasted the same rubbish as in recent threads.
Your problem is you’re a poor liar bc you have a poor memory . We may get a few wrong , but you will always err more bc you cannot form an opinion from observation, so you back every player on the list. Now since KDH how many players have we delisted? Subtract five from that number and that’s how far I’m ahead of you . See how simple it is to criticise ???
YES i do back every player on the list, pretty sure dimma, leppa,and carra would do the same. End of the year is when it's all weighed up with trades, delisting and major list shaping takes place this is when maybe i bring my hatchet and knives out ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Showed a bit of play of him on AFL 360 where Nick Riewoldt praised Brandos work ethic.

Ran 80 metres to lay a tackle and won the free.
Not Brandon’s biggest fan however I have learned in the last 18 months that there is more than racking up possessions in the game now, it’s being part of the team. Rance is exhibit A here, Edwards is another and so too Graham. Yes we could bring in Miles and play him in the guts to rack up 30 each week but he obviously isn’t getting games because of other reasons. Brandon is a team player not a possession getter anymore like he was just a year or two ago.

Yeah that was a great tackle but he was fairly poor outside of that. He hasn’t really done much all year and should be the one to come out for Vlaustin this week.

Yeah that was a great tackle but he was fairly poor outside of that. He hasn’t really done much all year and should be the one to come out for Vlaustin this week.

i agree, i just think we could benefit by giving either menadue or markov a chance in his spot ..... if they don't perform and brandon plays well in the 2's then bring him back in, he is being a bit underwhelming atm

Brandon is better than both Menadue and Markov, especially Markov.

I think sometimes people just watch what's on TV and don't actually go to the matches to see what efforts a player puts in.

Brandon is better than both Menadue and Markov, especially Markov.

I think sometimes people just watch what's on TV and don't actually go to the matches to see what efforts a player puts in.

never said anything about him not having a good effort .... i just dont think he has played a good game in a while so he should be dropped, i didnt see the vfl but both menadue and markov were named in the best players for vfl so i would like to see what they can do

No doubt his form hasn't been at it's best this season, but he is playing his role and he isn't the only player that has pulled out of a contest.
good point on ellis and others pulling out

Pulling out of a contest is such a crap term in todays footy, most good players do it, they assess a contest and figure its no use being spawled on the ground and useless if instead they can be lurking for the spillage and/or running foward for the turnover and be a link in the chain... he like houli is an elite runner and ball carrier. both these guys mentioned will 'go' and cop one for the team when its their turn
which is the main thing. it amazes me that not to many realise that nearly every time a 'joe the goose' goal is kicked its because someone has avoided a contest somewhere and ran to space to cause overlap because they predicted a turnover from a bad kick or a team mates manic pressure.

As I've been telling people for 8 months now Brando is not getting dropped. There is nobody in the twos who can gut run for four quarters and who've got the line breaking speed. His spot will be in danger next year when Markov and Menadue build their tanks up after another season of VFL.

People only count possessions to judge a player which is valid to an extent. The work Ellis does without the ball is enormous.
It's his work with the ball that worries me. Absolute panic merchant. But yes his defensive stuff is generally elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back