Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

That is ridiculous money. You realise he was dropped last year and again this year. You would only want to give that money to a very good footballer, not one who has some flaws, flaws that the match committee see not us posters here. I see the good and the not so good with Brando, right now he deserves his spot. No way you can guarantee that over the next 4 years.
Lol, he was never dropped this year.

Plenty calm. Stop responding and being embittered by conversations that go beyond a few good games when you don't want to discuss it more broadly then. It's done! Buy the footy record and stay happy mate.:rainbow:
A few good games? this guy has been good for us for many years and was good in our premiership year. we can't let premiership players and good clubmen like him go that easily if brando doesnt want to and we should treat him a bit better than slagging him off all the time is what i am saying. obviously, if some club offers a lot, and we cant afford it and he wants to go then fair enough. my point isnt that hard to understand and agree with. i know your point re keeping the young guns, and its a good one. obviously id like to keep those guys, but guys like brando is just as valued as well. anyway i trust our club to make the right call

Seriously. Stop looking through rose coloured glasses. I realise he had a good game and that he has been a good player, but that effort was not good. Vlaustin takes them every match and makes it look easy, he was on his own virtually with some perceived pressure. No wonder you think he is hard done by.
tbh i think every players has had a moment on the field where you could say, that was just s**t. im not gonna melt over him over one bad effort, if it even was a bad effort, i havent even bothered to check

A few good games? this guy has been good for us for many years and was good in our premiership year. we can't let premiership players and good clubmen like him go that easily if brando doesnt want to and we should treat him a bit better than slagging him off all the time is what i am saying. obviously, if some club offers a lot, and we cant afford it and he wants to go then fair enough. my point isnt that hard to understand and agree with. i know your point re keeping the young guns, and its a good one. obviously id like to keep those guys, but guys like brando is just as valued as well. anyway i trust our club to make the right call

For clarity I should have said 'a few very good games', I forgot I was talking with you. Finally some movement at your station (embolded). How many times to I need to say I believe Brandon is a good player, that I am not slagging off at him. Are you a teacher and not happy until someone writes it on the blackboard 100 times?

You can't have a conversation about his RFA status (and its possibilities) without determining what his status might be pick wise and dollar wise. Equally you can't deny as his form goes up (and it is well up this year over last year) so does his value - to everyone! We are nearly on the same page at last, its just that you keep flipping back to 'don't talk about Brandon like that'. To pay Peter you have to rob Paul sometimes.

Look at 5:05 on the Richmond v Freo highlights, amateur attempt to spoil. Vlaustin or any seasoned backman, even Stack would have turned around and marked or attempted to mark that ball. Ellis went half hearted and coughed up a goal. This is why people criticise Ellis, all the hard work gets undone so easily.
yeah/no.... this has been discussed, take backline coach and main organiser astbury out of it, as he was well outside 50 on the mark with tabatha:) kicking. and consider that with 2 an a bit minutes left and we are 37 up... agree. ellis should of done a lot better, but i dont see too much wrong there considering the out number spesh if garth has called ellis out of it, as it was garths ball to spoil and garth was far too easily out bodied by hogan and too slow when the ball hit the deck. nothing worst than 2 defenders spoiling the same ball and no one down. take note that it was 6 freo v 3 tigers inside 50 at the time....freeze it when ellis makes his feeble attempt to spoil and count the numbers at the fall of the ball, edwards was on fyfe and thats it.... and his effort was also a bit iffy, ellis, garth and sheds should have done better but the whole tiger defence set up was wrong on this occasion so should share the blame as a team. im suggesting very strongly that with vloss, dave, broad, grimes as anchors in our back 6, houli and ellis would be told to NOT to defend high balls in 50/50 situations and keep their feet for the ground ball and as exits. i actually thought that apart from that ellis had a flawless game and well worth coaches votes........bolded bits for special effect as i #standbybrandon :p

:) That's funny. Dropped in a preseason trial game so that carries on to the first game of the season ... lol

Question, how many sides the year beat a side in the 8 in round one?
Dropped during the JLT series and played the first week in the VFL. What is funny about that. What else was he doing down there, volunteering.

Look at 5:05 on the Richmond v Freo highlights, amateur attempt to spoil. Vlaustin or any seasoned backman, even Stack would have turned around and marked or attempted to mark that ball. Ellis went half hearted and coughed up a goal. This is why people criticise Ellis, all the hard work gets undone so easily.
In the highlights he has also has a good handball ~ goal assist, a kick in a scoring chain (point) and a very good tackle (4:25). He did miss a tackle & that late mark so not all perfect. He's playing well enough in an injury ravaged side, I cannot see him being dropped in his current form.
Its all a big win win in my book. 1) Ellis playing good footy, we are winning; 2) his form will attract interest from other clubs and if he leaves we get a pick; 3) our depth is playing very well so if Brando leaves we can cover his position; 4) if he chooses to stay at the tiges he might be a 200 game player but on money which allows us to retain the emerging new talent.

yeah/no.... this has been discussed, take backline coach and main organiser astbury out of it, as he was well outside 50 on the mark with tabatha:) kicking. and consider that with 2 an a bit minutes left and we are 37 up... agree. ellis should of done a lot better, but i dont see too much wrong there considering the out number spesh if garth has called ellis out of it, as it was garths ball to spoil and garth was far too easily out bodied by hogan and too slow when the ball hit the deck. nothing worst than 2 defenders spoiling the same ball and no one down. take note that it was 6 freo v 3 tigers inside 50 at the time....freeze it when ellis makes his feeble attempt to spoil and count the numbers at the fall of the ball, edwards was on fyfe and thats it.... and his effort was also a bit iffy, ellis, garth and sheds should have done better but the whole tiger defence set up was wrong on this occasion so should share the blame as a team. im suggesting very strongly that with vloss, dave, broad, grimes as anchors in our back 6, houli and ellis would be told to NOT to defend high balls in 50/50 situations and keep their feet for the ground ball and as exits. i actually thought that apart from that ellis had a flawless game and well worth coaches votes........bolded bits for special effect as i #standbybrandon:p
I realise that high balls are not his forte, and he has previously been called out by Astbury, but he read the situation really well, just like for example Vlaustin would have, and have included Stack because he would have too, but did a pretty average job of spoiling. Even if he didn't mark it he could have punched in 15m away. He has played 159 games, many in defence, so this situation should not have been so difficult for him.
I am not a Ellis basher, I see the good and think he has earned his spot. I think he might be upgraded, but right now he is in good form. He does not deserve a long term contract however as some have suggested. Just calling out a situation that he has been guilty of more than once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the highlights he has also has a good handball ~ goal assist, a kick in a scoring chain (point) and a very good tackle (4:25). He's playing well enough ATM. Its all a big win win in my book. 1) playing good footy, we are winning; 2) this will attract interest from other clubs and if he leaves we get a pick; 3) our depth is playing very well so if Brando leaves we can cover his position; 4) if he chooses to stay at the tiges he might be a 200 game player but on money which allows us to retain the emerging new talent.
I know that, he is playing good football, but my original post said he let's his good work down by some pretty poor work, something that he does quite regularly leaving himself open to criticism. He didn't play the first game of the season for a similar reason if you can remember back that far.

:) That's funny. Dropped in a preseason trial game so that carries on to the first game of the season ... lol

Not being selected Rnd 1 as a player when usually selected - your heart always drops! That was on top of not being selected in any of the finals games. So technically not dropped, but in your footy heart, yeah you were dropped.

He bounced back well though and hopefully finds some consistency. 7 up and down games not a consistent player maketh................

Last edited:
For clarity I should have said 'a few very good games', I forgot I was talking with you. Finally some movement at your station (embolded). How many times to I need to say I believe Brandon is a good player, that I am not slagging off at him. Are you a teacher and not happy until someone writes it on the blackboard 100 times?

You can't have a conversation about his RFA status (and its possibilities) without determining what his status might be pick wise and dollar wise. Equally you can't deny as his form goes up (and it is well up this year over last year) so does his value - to everyone! We are nearly on the same page at last, its just that you keep flipping back to 'don't talk about Brandon like that'. To pay Peter you have to rob Paul sometimes.
lol ive said it from the start, i think everyone knows that we cant pay over the odds. my entire point was its crazy how much of a whipping boy he is, where when he plays good we are excited because it will give us a pick when we it should be wanting to keep a premiership player. we sook when players are not loyal but treat them like easily disposable objects. i keep flipping back to that as that was i talked about to begin with, i wasnt interested in looking at the numbers etc, it was more about how brando gets treated by some fans

lol ive said it from the start, i think everyone knows that we cant pay over the odds. my entire point was its crazy how much of a whipping boy he is, where when he plays good we are excited because it will give us a pick when we it should be wanting to keep a premiership player. we sook when players are not loyal but treat them like easily disposable objects. i keep flipping back to that as that was i talked about to begin with, i wasnt interested in looking at the numbers etc, it was more about how brando gets treated by some fans

OK, you back to just that again. Good luck arguing the rest of the year out with people who you think are calling Brandon names. What did you call it - distasteful. Yeah, right!

Not being selected Rnd 1 as a player when usually selected - your heart always drops! That was on top of not being selected in any of the finals games. So technically not dropped, but in your footy heart, yeah you were dropped.

He bounced back well though and hopefully finds some consistency. 7 up and down games not a consistent player maketh................
Facts are facts, are facts, are facts, NOONE is dropped for the first game.
Missed selection, yes, but dropped, haha give me a break :)

Facts are facts, are facts, are facts, NOONE is dropped for the first game.
Missed selection, yes, but dropped, haha give me a break :)

You sir are using the tiniest comb in the world......:grinning:

Question, how many sides the year beat a side in the 8 in round one?
Fact that he didnt play in round 1 whilst being available is being dropped

I'll look at it another way. If BEllis departs and come round six next year he is lining up for North Melbourne/Carlton,/Hawthorn/GWS/insert team and he's up against McIntosh, Stack, Ross, Lambert/insert player, I'm confident of our chances :)
I would be extremely happy to see Stack / mcIntosh / Short up against Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back