Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
One of, if not our best kick for goal on the run. Rarely misses, even when ump calls a BS block free.

Definitely best 22 in my opinion but I reckon Naish can cover for him from next year. The salary dump and decent compo pick would be handy should he choose to take up a better offer come free agency after the season.

Sol23

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
rubbish. if they're soft they're found out, usually in their first preseason. its a fact that some footballers are instructed to keep their feet where ever possible and their role is not to end up in heavy traffic or at the bottom of packs.
Haha I’ll just assume you’re football IQ is very poor....... to think there aernt current footballers who have played and had long careers in the game is naive.

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
Ellis, I Smith, B Gibbs, Hoskin Elliot, Marc Murphy
There you go CHAMP
good selections, all players you mentioned are on big money too, so bonus points. but a couple of things..

you picked distributors and run and carry types, they can kick 100metre goals when someone like jack graham or cunnington types shovel it out to them from heavy traffic..... and your've also picked club captains and elite endurance types who will spread coz they know their inside grunter is going to get it or create a turnover or at worst cause a ball up.

seriously how do you reckon you'd go with mumford smashing your ribs to pieces and then 3 weeks later kicking a critical winning goal. no disrespect but in my opinion it seems to me that the great KB and joel bowden might also be on your list as well. 15 shane tucks or anthony miles clones in a team arnt gunna win you many games these days its usually only 3 or 4 required these days.

Sol23

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
good selections, all players you mentioned are on big money too, so bonus points. but a couple of things..

you picked distributors and run and carry types, they can kick 100metre goals when someone like jack graham or cunnington types shovel it out to them from heavy traffic..... and your've also picked club captains and elite endurance types who will spread coz they know their inside grunter is going to get it or create a turnover or at worst cause a ball up.

seriously how do you reckon you'd go with mumford smashing your ribs to pieces and then 3 weeks later kicking a critical winning goal. no disrespect but in my opinion it seems to me that the great KB and joel bowden might also be on your list as well. 15 shane tucks or anthony miles clones in a team arnt gunna win you many games these days its usually only 3 or 4 required these days.
I get that there are different types of players that play there role for the team.....BUT the point I’ve made previously and will make again when it’s you’re turn to go you have to put ur head over it and take the contact. Brandon doesn’t like going when its his turn.

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
I get that there are different types of players that play there role for the team.....BUT the point I’ve made previously and will make again when it’s you’re turn to go you have to put ur head over it and take the contact. Brandon doesn’t like going when its his turn.
fair point but how about understanding, that when its his turn to go he may only go 3 outta 5 but when gut running needs to be done he's a 10/10... how many times does/did bartlett/short/houli/nafe brown/campbell/bolton/butler/raines/rowlings and bowden go when it was their turn 100% and its no secret it is a weakness that ellis has got for sure of going to ground too easily in a heavy contest situation and when he does he often gets a spray from team mates, supporters and coaches, i also remember that at the same age experts were also calling cotchy soft ;)

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
fair point but how about understanding, that when its his turn to go he may only go 3 outta 5 but when gut running needs to be done he's a 10/10... how many times does/did bartlett/short/houli/nafe brown/campbell/bolton/butler/raines/rowlings and bowden go when it was their turn 100% and its no secret it is a weakness that ellis has got for sure of going to ground too easily in a heavy contest situation and when he does he often gets a spray from team mates, supporters and coaches, i also remember that at the same age experts were also calling cotchy soft ;)
Sorry to interrupt, but I’ve never read on here of Cotchin being labelled as soft on the field. I think you’re mistaken with people labelling him as a soft leader, which is completely different. The only other thing he was labeled as, was being a coward when he was suspended early in his career for that crude hit from behind on a Melbourne player ( I think it was a Demon). He was actually having a crack at the ball and he was doomed if he did and doomed if he didn’t. It showed leadership imo and he was unfairly dealt with by the tribunal.

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
Sorry to interrupt, but I’ve never read on here of Cotchin being labelled as soft on the field. I think you’re mistaken with people labelling him as a soft leader, which is completely different. The only other thing he was labeled as, was being a coward when he was suspended early in his career for that crude hit from behind on a Melbourne player ( I think it was a Demon). He was actually having a crack at the ball and he was doomed if he did and doomed if he didn’t. It showed leadership imo and he was unfairly dealt with by the tribunal.
No mistake mate, it was coming from everywhere, easily tagged/footsteps/misses easy shots etc...i also get your drift/s, but the captain no matter what age, is the leader who lays the foundations and sets the example... so i cant fathom how a soft skipper can be a tough player...

ive never considered cotch being soft in any shape or form whilst wearing the black and yellow FWIW. credit to hardwick too who always backed trent to the hilt even when he was under the pump as well

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
No mistake mate, it was coming from everywhere, easily tagged/footsteps/misses easy shots etc...i also get your drift/s, but the captain no matter what age, is the leader who lays the foundations and sets the example... so i cant fathom how a soft skipper can be a tough player...

ive never considered cotch being soft in any shape or form whilst wearing the black and yellow FWIW. credit to hardwick too who always backed trent to the hilt even when he was under the pump as well
Nope you misunderstood the criticism at the time by people and it wasn’t about his on field performance which is what the original discussion was about.
You’re now mincing words.

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
Nope you misunderstood the criticism at the time by people and it wasn’t about his on field performance which is what the original discussion was about.
You’re now mincing words.
lol, whatever mate, but no misunderstandings... i love cotch to bits, champion...but the knives were out, i am not gunna hijack this thread, or throw anyone under a bus as its about ellis, but a quick google search had the poor bloke knocked from pillar to post over several years, being a premiership captain has pretty much silenced the doubters.

Attachments

• 5cotch.jpg
    5cotch.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 4tag cotch.jpg
    4tag cotch.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 3no good cotch.jpg
    3no good cotch.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 2cotch tag 3.jpg
    2cotch tag 3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 1cotch bad.jpg
    1cotch bad.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 87
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
lol, whatever mate, but no misunderstandings... i love cotch to bits, champion...but the knives were out, i am not gunna hijack this thread, or throw anyone under a bus as its about ellis, but a quick google search had the poor bloke knocked from pillar to post over several years, being a premiership captain has pretty much silenced the doubters.
There was only one bloke who mentioned he was soft of what I could read. They were pretty tough to read on my phone. These knockers didn’t hang around for long anyway as we have on Ellis. Ellis has been labeled soft pretty well from his first year and still hasn’t hardened up his game . The Cotchin comparison you made was still frivolous as they’re chalk and cheese . It’s a bit like Rance had knockers early on, but they’ve disappeared unlike the Ellis knockers who’ve grown in population bc he’s never hardened up in terms of when it’s his turn to go. He still Shits his pants like a toddler.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
There was only one bloke who mentioned he was soft of what I could read. They were pretty tough to read on my phone. These knockers didn’t hang around for long anyway as we have on Ellis. Ellis has been labeled soft pretty well from his first year and still hasn’t hardened up his game . The Cotchin comparison you made was still frivolous as they’re chalk and cheese . It’s a bit like Rance had knockers early on, but they’ve disappeared unlike the Ellis knockers who’ve grown in population bc he’s never hardened up in terms of when it’s his turn to go. He still s**ts his pants like a toddler.
With all due respect, TI, this is the sort of OTT statement which devalues any arguments you have.

clark1980

Senior List
Sep 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
not the best game from ellis, especially that attempted tackle when he went to ground and the guy kept his feet and run around him. but the footy gods can be tough sometimes, he kicked 1 goal, had one disallowed with a very iffy free kick to st Kilda and then bolton tried to out mark him when he should have called him back and ellis would have chest marked and had a chance for a 3rd from 25m out.

Last edited:

kempinsky

Senior List
May 25, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
There was only one bloke who mentioned he was soft of what I could read. They were pretty tough to read on my phone. These knockers didn’t hang around for long anyway as we have on Ellis. Ellis has been labeled soft pretty well from his first year and still hasn’t hardened up his game . The Cotchin comparison you made was still frivolous as they’re chalk and cheese . It’s a bit like Rance had knockers early on, but they’ve disappeared unlike the Ellis knockers who’ve grown in population bc he’s never hardened up in terms of when it’s his turn to go. He still s**ts his pants like a toddler.
I enjoy reading your posts TI as they are often pretty entertaining, but I think you're a bit harsh here. You're entitled to your view and you're no fan, but I don't think Ellis is scared or fearful like you. I think because he plays outside 90% of the time, when he is in traffic and he is sometimes caught, it just stands out more. Dimma and the coaching staff think he's best 22 and he's starting on ground every week so he must be doing a few things right that aren't necessarily obvious to the fans.
I went to the game on the weekend and watched him pretty close and yes, he made a few stuff-ups but also did plenty of good things. He had a few mates in that regard.

kempinsky

Senior List
May 25, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
not the best game from ellis, especially that attempted tackle when he went to ground and the guy kept his feet and run around him. but the footy gods can be tough sometimes, he kicked 1 goal, had one disallowing with a very iffy free kick to st Kilda and then bolton tried to out mark him when he should have called him back and ellis would have chest marked and had a chance for a 3rd from 25m out.
Yep, but just prior to that attempted tackle, he had run his arse off from the other end of the ground to get there which you don't necessarily pick up on tv. you're right though, looked ordinary.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
I enjoy reading your posts TI as they are often pretty entertaining, but I think you're a bit harsh here. You're entitled to your view and you're no fan, but I don't think Ellis is scared or fearful like you. I think because he plays outside 90% of the time, when he is in traffic and he is sometimes caught, it just stands out more. Dimma and the coaching staff think he's best 22 and he's starting on ground every week so he must be doing a few things right that aren't necessarily obvious to the fans.
I went to the game on the weekend and watched him pretty close and yes, he made a few stuff-ups but also did plenty of good things. He had a few mates in that regard.
Thanks for the positive feedback and I’m glad someone enjoys my posting on here.😏
With Ellis as we all know he wasn’t best 22 by the end of last year and he missed round one also. I think the FD know he’s not going to improve in this area and bc of our season of injuries he’s probably survived from the axe , especially in the last month. He has a massive motor and this has probably rewarded him more games in the past considering we were a rabble for awhile, but it’s now becoming obvious with the increased standards at Punt Rd that this is not enough. He’s a 20-28 player and will get a gig if we’re cruelled by injuries or players out of touch. You will always know what you’re going to get with him and what you’re not going to get.

ah well, seems Bellis is not getting the weekly lynching...might as well post this here....Belliss the centurion

<iframe class="imgur-embed" width="100%" height="360" frameborder="0" src=""></iframe>

I'm still not sure what that 50m was for, but happy he got it and played on and kicked the goal!

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
The dilemma with Ellis is that I think the club would be happy to keep him, but on their terms. Maybe a two year deal with money commensurate to his form over the past two years, as well as his service to the club. I’m not sure what that equates to, but I can see some other clubs coming along and offering four years with 20-30% more money.

Now I’d love him to stay, play those two years and back himself in to get another bigger contract as he approaches 200 games, but I feel he’ll see the North/Saints/Carlton offer as too good to refuse. If that happens he goes with my thanks and I wish him the best.

Back