Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I've always liked him, would be happy to see him stay but a big offer and the FA compo that comes with it might be pretty valuable and we could package it up to get something pretty good. He's not getting any younger and there are guys coming up like Naish that could take his spot.

I think for his own career, he should take a big money long term RFA offer if it comes.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Don’t get me wrong I’m on your side on this , but they have the opportunity to invest wisely a large sum at an early age and live from it. I feel sorry more for the plumber who has to play footy in a thug competition for practically nothing and get up for work during the week.
Not me, **** 'em...not after paying $400 to have my toilet fixed in 25 minutes...

Not me, **** 'em...not after paying $400 to have my toilet fixed in 25 minutes...

We've seen how much crap you spew - that sounds cheap to fix your system:D:D:D:D

If we are confident that Naish, or whoever, can fill Brando's shoes then deliberately losing him is fine. But he's a damn fine winger. They don't grow on trees. I'll back the FD on this one. We could even have Stack play wing. Rioli is another obvious choice. But we can't tear the club apart just because we've got depth and some people like sagging off certain player types. that'd be like Carlton ;).

If Brandon gets offer 100K a year more he should take it. But unless our offer is way out of whack I expect him to want to stay. And us to want to keep him. But if a club offers him many $ and he says yes, then we should get good compo.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
If we are confident that Naish, or whoever, can fill Brando's shoes then deliberately losing him is fine. But he's a damn fine winger. They don't grow on trees. I'll back the FD on this one. We could even have Stack play wing. Rioli is another obvious choice. But we can't tear the club apart just because we've got depth and some people like sagging off certain player types. that'd be like Carlton ;).

If Brandon gets offer 100K a year more he should take it. But unless our offer is way out of whack I expect him to want to stay. And us to want to keep him. But if a club offers him many $ and he says yes, then we should get good compo.

Edwards and Bolton.. plus

Lambert, Pickett, Mcintosh, Short, Menadue, Rioli, Naish, Higgins, Stack, Ross, Turner ..

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
We've seen how much crap you spew - that sounds cheap to fix your system:D:D:D:D
laughing.gif

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes

This.... no doubt brando wants to stay a tiger and no doubt the players and Dimma want to keep him.

Brando is first cab off the rank and I Got this feeling the club will say to 6 or 7 of our boys and their managers and family/s that over the next months and year or two years juicy offer$ will come, and we may not be able to facilitate your worth/s on the open market, considering our cap and list maintenance.

Play for a little less here and/or be honest with your intention$ and we can do what needs to be done. if the feeling is mutual, we do not want the situation of the Squarks where Burton was a pawn in this horse flesh trading game and the player being the last to know.

This.... no doubt brando wants to stay a tiger and no doubt the players and Dimma want to keep him.

Brando is first cab off the rank and I Got this feeling the club will say to 6 or 7 of our boys and their managers and family/s that over the next months and year or two years juicy offer$ will come, and we may not be able to facilitate your worth/s on the open market, considering our cap and list maintenance.

Play for a little less here and/or be honest with your intention$ and we can do what needs to be done. if the feeling is mutual, we do not want the situation of the Squarks where Burton was a pawn in this horse flesh trading game and the player being the last to know.

The wild card is always the Manager. His influence and authenticity. Brandon's big payday is also the Manager's payday. Some are able to professionally put that to one side, others less so.

Last edited:

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
The wild card is always the Manager. His influence and authenticity. Brandon's big payday is also the Manager's payday. Some are able to professionally put that to one side, some less so.
True, this is why if negotiations stall, Tigs have the whip hand as Brando has always been well looked after and we have such a talented brimming list. hated some of the brutal cloke :p and dagger deals and treatment of yesteryear with pitura, raines, knighta, KB type stuff compared to how orsum the morton, miles, lloyd, stengle situations went. make ya proud to be a tiger fan.

Yep. We have too many good AFL players. Damn shame ;)

We will have to lose some over the next few years. If we can do it so that we come out at least even, and the player comes out ahead ($) then good work. We might be able to get another first rounder, which would be great. But what we cannot do is total the culture just to get a good pick. I'd rather drop some spots and keep the culture. We can do OK with later picks.

I must admit a few teams, not just the bottom ones would love Brandon. I reckon the Demons would pay a lot for him. He'd transform their ability to move the ball on his own. They don't need the inside grunt. If they've got half a brain they'd go big time for someone like BEllis. That would help us and help him. But if not, then I'd be happy to keep our guys.

So he ******* should
Let's see him do it when it counts
Squib

Think you missed the point Crumpo - It less about the defensive act, more about what it meant to his team mates. Inside four walls stuff!

May 7, 2009
melbourne, australia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Shrewsbury FC
Think you missed the point Crumpo - It less about the defensive act, more about what it meant to his team mates. Inside four walls stuff!
I didn't miss any point. Going back with the flight should be expected. The fact an afl footballer needs a pat on the head for putting his body on the line is pathetic.

That's a non negotiable.

He does it once and then squibs again in a match that has meaning in it.

I loved him as a player, but he does it at least once every 3 weeks. So now unfortunately I'm looking for our next winger.
He's a liability and needs to be moved on.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
What do you expect after letting the team use it last year during prelim week

I didn't miss any point. Going back with the flight should be expected. The fact an afl footballer needs a pat on the head for putting his body on the line is pathetic.

That's a non negotiable.

He does it once and then squibs again in a match that has meaning in it.

I loved him as a player, but he does it at least once every 3 weeks. So now unfortunately I'm looking for our next winger.
He's a liability and needs to be moved on.

Again, the post wasn't so much about the non-negotiable act or however you want to characterise it, but the response from team mates. The response is what it was. Team mates appreciating effort from team mates! They appreciated the potential sacrifice. Who knows, if he plays this weekend he might even do it again;)

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Again, the post wasn't so much about the non-negotiable act or however you want to characterise it, but the response from team mates. The response is what it was. Team mates appreciating effort from team mates! They appreciated the potential sacrifice. Who knows, if he plays this weekend he might even do it again;)
Exactly it's not that hard to understand, it was all about his team mate's response which indicate he's not on the outer down there (regardless of his contractual negotiations at the moment) but a valued member of the team!

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
For us to get better, younger players need to replace Ellis (on form not just on age),

IMO its got to a point that he plays well when everything is going right for the team, but in games where it is not, he doesn't stand up, ever!
He is a follower not a leader IMO, and not everyone can be a leader, but if his game is not going to improve or stand up when we need it to, then he has to be replaced.

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
Exactly it's not that hard to understand, it was all about his team mate's response which indicate he's not on the outer down there (regardless of his contractual negotiations at the moment) but a valued member of the team!

They also know he struggles. Which why they get to him whenever he goes hard and takes a hit. I’m sure among the players and coaches it’s not a secret that he pulls out of contests and they want to encourage him when he does. It’s good leadership and mateship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
They also know he struggles. Which why they get to him whenever he goes hard and takes a hit. I’m sure among the players and coaches he pulls out of contests and they want to encourage him when he does. It’s good leadership and mateship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
benny hill wtf.gif

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
This valued member of the team stuff is nonsense. I used to read all this bum slapping jargon with Conca, but in the end he walked for bucks. The players don’t have any say on list management.

Back