Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Last week there was talk that Ellis ignored Castagna because he knew he was a poor shot at goal, and thus gave it to Martin under heat. This week Ellis was 45m out directly in front and should have run another 5m and kicked a goal, but he did the team thing and gave it to Castagna, in exactly the same spot, which he promptly missed....
Ellis had a decent to average game, but McCluggage his opponent for much of the match knocked it up. Won't want to give him such latitude next time we meet.

Laffy2Chaffey2Daffy

All Australian
Nov 14, 2012
Burundi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manangatang 3rds
And if he didnt Lambert would have kicked that goal from 10 mtrs out, The only person that really benefited from that was B.Ellis and him having a goal
If you take that one incident in isolation you are right. But you know the way we play - run in waves and create the outnumber up forward. And Ellis works harder than anyone bar Lambert to do this. Sometimes it’s the things that don’t show up in stats sheets that matter and sometimes it is the maligned players doing those things - Ellis’ gutrunning, Rioli’s harassing, etc.

Ellis has his colours lowered against the bears but he has had a pretty good season overall. :smirkcat:

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Yes he would have kicked it but there was Ellis doing the Richmond thang. Next time he might ignore him and next time he might be on a tough angle and need someone who has run 100m for the team.
It’s all good at Tigerland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Many ways you can look at it

Why was he so far away from his player ? Did his player get away from him and he was lagging behind ?
from all reports his direct opponent was McClugguge but a rarely seen then near eachother and Clugg had a great game compared to Ellis and was one of their best players on the day

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Many ways you can look at it

Why was he so far away from his player ? Did his player get away from him and he was lagging behind ?
from all reports his direct opponent was McClugguge but a rarely seen then near eachother and Clugg had a great game compared to Ellis and was one of their best players on the day
In the first quarter Brando was on Robertson for a huge chunk until it was realised by the FD that it was a mismatch. Robbo just brushed him off too easily. McCluggage was just way too classy for him. Basically why would you run 100m if your opponent is ten metres out dead in front ? What a waste of energy as it was a 99.9% chance of being a goal. It will go down for a goal to Brando, but it doesn’t tell you the real story. It’s a nothing discussion about a player who really had a nothing game.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
In the first quarter Brando was on Robertson for a huge chunk until it was realised by the FD that it was a mismatch. Robbo just brushed him off too easily. McCluggage was just way too classy for him. Basically why would you run 100m if your opponent is ten metres out dead in front ? What a waste of energy as it was a 99.9% chance of being a goal. It will go down for a goal to Brando, but it doesn’t tell you the real story. It’s a nothing discussion about a player who really had a nothing game.
Exactly my point and worded beautifully

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
Brandos first Q was excellent he got 8 touches and was involved in many of our aggressive chains and towelled up all comers, 2nd and 3rd a bit more dour as per usual dimma gave him a more defensive role, and often as dimma does released the shackles a bit in the last while still maintaining brando keep in check any attacking sniffs lions had in mind.

ran his arse off and kicked the sealer with a well orchestrated set play....didnt play tight on anyone, but hey, but thats his role as he will often just have 3 or 4 lions/opposition that he needs to harness if they go, or get into dangerous areas that could result in a score or score assists.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Brandos first Q was excellent he got 8 touches and was involved in many of our aggressive chains and towelled up all comers, 2nd and 3rd a bit more dour as per usual dimma gave him a more defensive role, and often as dimma does released the shackles a bit in the last while still maintaining brando keep in check any attacking sniffs lions had in mind.

ran his arse off and kicked the sealer with a well orchestrated set play....didnt play tight on anyone, but hey, but thats his role as he will often just have 3 or 4 lions/opposition that he needs to harness if the go, or get into dangerous areas that could result in a score or score assists.
His first quarter was rubbish and Robbo ate him up and he was mainly involved in nothing, but cheap ball receives. The seagulls looked fiercer.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

ran his arse off and kicked the sealer with a well orchestrated set play....didnt play tight on anyone, but hey, but thats his role as he will often just have 3 or 4 lions/opposition that he needs to harness if the go, or get into dangerous areas that could result in a score or score assists.

Next time im selling my house could you do the write up for the board

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
Next time im selling my house could you do the write up for the board
each to their own, wouldn't mind having a wager that my opinion and the match committees on brando is a lot closer to mine than yours and 3 or 4 others in the 'offload brando at all costs' brigade.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
each to their own, wouldn't mind having a wager that my opinion and the match committees on brando is a lot closer to mine than yours and 3 or 4 others in the 'offload brando at all costs' brigade.
Lets see if 'Brando' has the ability to make this finals series his own or does he go into hiding , The match committee will give him the next game but another performance like his last will see Kmac taking his spot and will be watching from the sidelines if we make the GF

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
Lets see if 'Brando' has the ability to make this finals series his own or does he go into hiding , The match committee will give him the next game but another performance like his last will see Kmac taking his spot and will be watching from the sidelines if we make the GF
just enjoy our run at the finals boys, things will look after themselves and i would think 500k a year won't be on offer at tigerland but probably is still not enough to get him to carlton, so many dominoes to fall and wouldnt surprise me one little bit if brando takes a fair deal and stays.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
just enjoy our run at the finals boys, things will look after themselves and i would think 500k a year won't be on offer at tigerland but probably is still not enough to get him to carlton, so many dominoes to fall and wouldnt surprise me one little bit if brando takes a fair deal and stays.
He would be stupid to do so bc he’s most likely going to play vfl mid next year and his price could plummet.
He’s not very smart our Brando, but not that stupid either.
Ask Balme what a fair deal for Conca was???

It looked like Mcluggage didn’t really change his game or care about what Brando was doin, whether thats instruction or respect I dunno, but could work in our favour next time if we know he’s just gonna concentrate on being attacking or doin his own thing.
If Kmac is big enough to handle Robinson or Mcluggage and if Caddy got a couple early they might have to change the way they want to play.

Brando’s 1 mark and 2 tackles has got me a little nervous I gotta say.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Is this the Mitch Robinson who was basically unsighted in the first quarter... massive five touches.
He physically intimidated Brando who had no influence on the game whilst Robbo was in the top ten players on the ground. Brando was too scared to go near him and then after Robbo made him walk around with footsteps in his ear young McCluggage was put on him and towelled him up. Brando had seven more touches for the game and one was a joe the goose.
Robbo then was allowed to play on a Cotchin or Lambert who could actually hurt them more. It’s not about Robbos quantity sometimes, but more about his role and impact. Did you watch the game or just looked at the stats sheet?

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
He physically intimidated Brando who had no influence on the game whilst Robbo was in the top ten players on the ground. Brando was too scared to go near him and then after Robbo made him walk around with footsteps in his ear young McCluggage was put on him and towelled him up. Brando had seven more touches for the game and one was a joe the goose.
Robbo then was allowed to play on a Cotchin or Lambert who could actually hurt them more. It’s not about Robbos quantity sometimes, but more about his role and impact. Did you watch the game or just looked at the stats sheet?
You're starting to become ridiculous again.
See ya.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
It looked like Mcluggage didn’t really change his game or care about what Brando was doin, whether thats instruction or respect I dunno, but could work in our favour next time if we know he’s just gonna concentrate on being attacking or doin his own thing.
If Kmac is big enough to handle Robinson or Mcluggage and if Caddy got a couple early they might have to change the way they want to play.

Brando’s 1 mark and 2 tackles has got me a little nervous I gotta say.
We need Kmac in , but after Caddy went on Robbo in the last that stopped his aggression on the game which helped us to kick away again. I’m nervous with Brando also bc his power is supposed to be gut running and rarara, but in reality most wingers in his role do the same now. The good ones hurt you both ways though , unfortunately Brando has no hurt factor.

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
He would be stupid to do so bc he’s most likely going to play vfl mid next year and his price could plummet.
He’s not very smart our Brando, but not that stupid either.
Ask Balme what a fair deal for Conca was???
conca is older, injuries have been regular and his roots are in wa...balme is a smart operator so we lost nothing and conca gets well paid at freo as ross and jack graham were ready made replacements and ready to go and no way known grigg, conca, jack graham, caddy and a rookie new inside mid would ever be on the same field together.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
conca is older, injuries have been regular and his roots are in wa...balme is a smart operator so we lost nothing and conca gets well paid at freo as ross and jack graham were ready made replacements and ready to go and no way known grigg, conca, jack graham, caddy and a rookie new inside mid would ever be on the same field together.
You couldn’t get any closer to home than Princes Park for Brando. lol. Irrelevant it’s about the money and Conca was getting more and more game time. We heard from you and many others on here similar stories about Reece’s loyalty and how the boys and Dimma loved him and he would stay. In the end Balme makes the decisions and age is irrelevant if the player is needed. Why do you reckon Brando has held off negotiations? He low balled Conca bc as you say the younger and better cavalry were coming in. Hello hello what is happening to Brando now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back