Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
The problem with Ellis is, he gets scared. When he shrugs his shoulders before impact, he’s worried about getting hurt. That decision to brace affects his ability to make a quick decision and he gets nailed or turns it over. I like him but. Been a good player overall.
Maybe not really scared but he knows he does not have the football 'time with the ball' that good players have when under pressure, so he dishes off. Caddy last night was the opposite, extracted himself on numerous occasions from really difficult situations because he worked through the pressure. Ellis knows he can't do this, so he has to move the ball on quickly.

Bicko

Team Captain
Nov 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe not really scared but he knows he does not have the football 'time with the ball' that good players have when under pressure, so he dishes off. Caddy last night was the opposite, extracted himself on numerous occasions from really difficult situations because he worked through the pressure. Ellis knows he can't do this, so he has to move the ball on quickly.
I agree with that, but I can’t ignore his body language. I played with a mate for years that did exactly the same thing. He Panicked too often.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Typical Ellis game just more shite than usual.
Thats another failed final and if we continue to play him along with a few others who are averse to contact it will cost us a premiership.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Nope yopu have it right he is as scared as they come ffs Grr stick to your convictions the bloke is a squib and we cannot afford to continue to carry this hack.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
N0rf, they have a war chest.
They have a soft outside winger in polek who at least takes the game on and actually uses the ball a hell of a lot better than Ellis.
They have a few problems does north and they wont be spending their war chest on a squib like Ellis hes not what they need.

Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
They have a soft outside winger in polek who at least takes the game on and actually uses the ball a hell of a lot better than Ellis.
They have a few problems does north and they wont be spending their war chest on a squib like Ellis hes not what they need.
Lol, I agree. He has been linked to North and Carlton according to the media. Although Carlton have lost interest recently. He would be a perfect fit for the Bombers IMO lol.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
He was hopeless last night. Robinson had him rattled from the get go. Time to bring in Kamdyn or roll the dice with Pickett.
Yes agree that he looked rattled before the ball was bounced against Robinson who is a very physical player. He was never going to win that battle his Focus should have been on winning the first contest he was involved in and growing his confidence from there. Instead he let Robo get into his head which is a concern in itself imo.

Kmac certainly wouldn’t have been intimidated in that way but his form has been poor in the 2s making it hard to pick him. If he can find some form on the weekend in the 2s he could be a chance given what Ellis served up. You just can’t afford weak links in finals footy where the intensity goes up a couple of notches

Vril

Debutant
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Typical Ellis game just more s**t than usual.
Thats another failed final and if we continue to play him along with a few others who are averse to contact it will cost us a premiership.
Averaging 13 touches in seven finals. Gets exposed when the heat is on.
Yes agree that he looked rattled before the ball was bounced against Robinson who is a very physical player. He was never going to win that battle his Focus should have been on winning the first contest he was involved in and growing his confidence from there. Instead he let Robo get into his head which is a concern in itself imo.

Kmac certainly wouldn’t have been intimidated in that way but his form has been poor in the 2s making it hard to pick him. If he can find some form on the weekend in the 2s he could be a chance given what Ellis served up. You just can’t afford weak links in finals footy where the intensity goes up a couple of notches
100% agree. Maybe bring Stack in if he’s fit and have Bolton play on the wing.

Brando turns to water in big games. He’s averaging 13 disposals in the seven finals he has played in. That’s well below his average for the season. He kept going half arsed into contests last night as well. It’s painfully obvious he hates the physical side of football. One of the softest players in the league. I actually think his spot is in trouble. I’m not a Kamdyn fan but we can’t carry blokes who regularly sh*t themselves on the big stage.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Averaging 13 touches in seven finals. Gets exposed when the heat is on.

100% agree. Maybe bring Stack in if he’s fit and have Bolton play on the wing.

Brando turns to water in big games. He’s averaging 13 disposals in the seven finals he has played in. That’s well below his average for the season. He kept going half arsed into contests last night as well. It’s painfully obvious he hates the physical side of football. One of the softest players in the league. I actually think his spot is in trouble. I’m not a Kamdyn fan but we can’t carry blokes who regularly sh*t themselves on the big stage.
Love Stack but wouldn’t risk him in such an important game coming back from that type of injury
If Kmac’s form doesn’t improve we could play Lambert on the wing instead of Ellis. Then bring in Ross or Pickett to play Lambert’s midfield role

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Can forgive the odd panic when Brandon is running and linking well. But I can't remember a game where I had my head in my hands more when he was involved in the play.
He may survive based on keeping a winning side in, but it would be zero risk bringing in Pickett or Stack (if fit) to replace him, and if structure is paramount then Macca.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Love Stack but wouldn’t risk him in such an important game coming back from that type of injury
If Kmac’s form doesn’t improve we could play Lambert on the wing instead of Ellis. Then bring in Ross or Pickett to play Lambert’s midfield role
How many weeks has Stack missed? . Reckon he would be okay to go and we know at the very least he will compete and give a contest.

Imo if Jack Ross has another decent game in the ressies then he comes in we will need bigger bodied mids and flanker types to cope with collonwood.

for me Pickett Ross Stack and McIntosh should all be considered for their physicality alone.

Just my opinion but the times Collingwood have got hold of us and actually made us look ordinary is because they kill us with bigger bodies who are just as quick and skillful as our smalls.

For me its horses for courses and all four mentioned will give us a better chance to compete and intimidate.

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I can’t believe people are actually trying to defend his game.

When everybody is telling you something, and you’re the only on (or two) that think the opposite then MAYBE you should reconsider your position. You’re the anti-vaxxers of the footy world.

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m no kmac fan, he doesn’t impact enough offensively for mine. But at least he gives a contest.

If stack is fit then that’s the easiest match committee decision in history for mine. Otherwise I’d bring in Ross and maybe move some magnets around, Kmac if we’re desperate. Pickett I think you could even make a case for debuting in a prelim. Any of those options makes us a better finals team.

I’m no kmac fan, he doesn’t impact enough offensively for mine. But at least he gives a contest.

If stack is fit then that’s the easiest match committee decision in history for mine. Otherwise I’d bring in Ross and maybe move some magnets around, Kmac if we’re desperate. Pickett I think you could even make a case for debuting in a prelim. Any of those options makes us a better finals team.

I do think changes require a look at the VFL game this coming weekend first. If Ross fits the structures then that's an easy change to make, the others all need to be looked at in the context of VFL form and fitness.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Nope yopu have it right he is as scared as they come ffs Grr stick to your convictions the bloke is a squib and we cannot afford to continue to carry this hack.
Well I reckon there is a bit of both. His sidestep of the oncoming player in a 50/50 that he was second too was pretty inexcusable, but he does hot potato the ball due to lack of vision or time. But he doesn't often turn it over. This weekends VFL game sees a big opportunity to whoever stands up.

Last edited:

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
Can't see Kamdyn returning on the basis of his last VFL game where he looked lost and devoid of confidence. This weekend's VFL game should give our AFL selection committee the information they need to tweak the side. Pickett had a good second half and great final quarter in our win against the Bombers and will almost certainly be looked at. Stack probably won't play but if he can perform well at training in the week leading up to our PF you'd have to bring him in. Eventually I wouldn't mind seeing Balta given a run on a wing. He could end up a superman version of KMac with his speed and size but it's too early to experiment in finals. I'd be reluctant to move Bolton from his zone of play so I'd be putting Castagna into Ellis' position and bringing in Stack, if fit, or Pickett.

Can't see Kamdyn returning on the basis of his last VFL game where he looked lost and devoid of confidence. This weekend's VFL game should give our AFL selection committee the information they need to tweak the side. Pickett had a good second half and great final quarter in our win against the Bombers and will almost certainly be looked at. Stack probably won't play but if he can perform well at training in the week leading up to our PF you'd have to bring him in. Eventually I wouldn't mind seeing Balta given a run on a wing. He could end up a superman version of KMac with his speed and size but it's too early to experiment in finals. I'd be reluctant to move Bolton from his zone of play so I'd be putting Castagna into Ellis' position and bringing in Stack, if fit, or Pickett.

Agree. George was switched to transitional wingman in the third. Made some good decisions.

Haere Ra

_jrtp09_

All Australian
May 14, 2014
Doing the laundry
AFL Club
Richmond
Typical Ellis game just more s**t than usual.

Blues going cold on him was no coincidence.
Unfortunately for him he’ll soon become a depth player and Tiges are simply offering a renumeration to match.

It’s just that he and his manager think differently and are shopping around.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Really good post. I don't know if he's distracted by contract talks or he feels under pressure to perform, but he is bereft of confidence at the moment and you can see it from the first bounce. Last night's performance was well below par. I don't think he necessarily picks and chooses because I'd hate to think that any player at the top level does that. From tv, it looked like his mindset was all wrong and his defensive efforts were poor as has been pointed out by others. Because he is a whipping boy, I want him to play well, but at the moment, it ain't happening.
Yeah Ellis lost it for me bantering with his oppo player before the bounce of the ball...set his game output for the rest of the contest...bad joke effort!

Back