Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

You people are obsessed, Brando's going to be playing the prelim and GF so suck it up.

The dislike for one of our players is pretty pathetic TBH.
So you’re not allowed to dislike a player because he plays for the team we barrack for? Give me a break!
People are entitled to have an opinion on his playing abilities.

So you’re not allowed to dislike a player because he plays for the team we barrack for? Give me a break!
What i love is that he is in the side and it is driving his haters crazy.

I'm not a hater, and it is silly to place all the posters (majority) who are questioning his form or ability or place into the team as haters. There are a few 'haters' but most on here just want the best team on the park, with or without Ellis. And if he is dropped, which there is a chance, even if a slight one, what then.

You people are obsessed, Brando's going to be playing the prelim and GF so suck it up.

I think your confused. People don’t dislike Brando. Some, including me just don’t think he should be in the side. You might not like Tarantino movies. Doesn’t mean you hate him.

Yep and we all watched the game Saturday night and were reminded of his inability to stand up when the game is at its most physical.

The obsessed ones are the posters constantly fanning the fires of discontent with comments about posters instead of comments about players or games. By all means voice your contentment, you have as much right to that as people at the other end of the spectrum, but seriously this?.......

Brandon is a competent player on the wing for the Tiges used in a certain way, and, who is slipping in form right now. He is also reported to be fielding (and losing) offers to play under contract elsewhere. It's up to the FD to determine if all that is affecting is ability to play well in two weeks time. If he has decided to accept an offer I hope he steps back to VFL and plays out the season there because he is not so critical that he plays come-what-may. That said, nothing about Brandon can be carved in stone until after the VFL game on the weekend and we see what the options still are!

Last edited:
Saturdays game.
But haven't heard a thing.
Just reckon even the sun's would have 2nd thoughts.

I think they'd still want him, he costs nothing to bring in, he adds something in the way of experience and they, above all teams, would understand players have their ups and downs. When you are the Gold Coast, can you have too many Premiership players on your list? He got there, did that, and his story and perseverance will be a good story for the Gold Coast. He is worth it to them what they need to pay him. My only query is will Brandon want to give up on Mates and Memories!

I think we can make excuses for a first or second year player but he has played almost 200 games. He should be able to adjust to any conditions, weather, game style etc. it astounds me that people are willing to draw and quarter the likes of Menadue and Markov after a stinker but Brando can play 1 good game in 5 and that’s ok. He averages 13 touches in finals ffs. We are taking a huge risk if we play him next Friday.
On stats, Kamdyn is worse than Ellis. I wouldn't be risking selection of M & M. For me Short on the wing when someone can take his spot. I.e. S Stack.

I thought this was the Brandon Ellis thread? Where else may we discuss him? I reckon his wing is one of 3 positions that could be improved. Back up ruck, small defender & him. Barring injury I can't see any change to the 22. We have had good wins for the last 3 games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they'd still want him, he costs nothing to bring in, he adds something in the way of experience and they, above all teams, would understand players have their ups and downs. When you are the Gold Coast, can you have too many Premiership players on your list? He got there, did that, and his story and perseverance will be a good story for the Gold Coast. He is worth it to them what they need to pay him. My only query is will Brandon want to give up on Mates and Memories!
Cant see for the life of me how he fits into the GC team , The last type they need
Dont think he would want to move as well unless its crazy money and dont thing GC are crazy enough to offer him $600k

Unfortunately its looking more likely we will be stuck with him next year and he will accept an offer around the $350k range and stay
Most likely to be playing VFL/AFL games 50/50 .. I just hope we dont offer him more than 2 years and hope only 1

He may very well be experienced but with that with a young side comes leadership.hopefully the sun's can see past his shortfalls.

I always try to defend him, have always liked him but have also always said he is very expendable.

It is really hard to watch him sometimes, he really doesn't like the physical stuff.
Yeah I'm in this camp. I did pump him up during the year when he deserved it, but with our water tight system we can carry a player. I'd rather risk carrying Pickett though at this point in time.

Which was?
will/might comment further when/if i watch replay of 360 as i was on the phone at work at the time but basically said picking onballers as wingers in AA side was wrong are they are ball hunters and his version of an essential winger needed to be ? blah blah blah hard selfless runners ? blah blah (missed that bit) ....100% team oriented first...would presume it was in context on how hard it will be to replace mitch robinson

I watched the game with a group of 15 odd people on Saturday night and the neutral supporters were taking the piss out of Ellis all night and laughing at how bad/soft he was. I just rewatched the third quarter and even when we got on top there were moments that made me cringe. Berry ragdolled him at 10:21 in a one-on-one marking contest in our forward fifty. He outmuscled Ellis and threw him to the ground which allowed him to take a mark. At 9:03 there was a weak attempted tackle by Ellis where Lyons literally shrugged him off while Ellis couldn’t even hold his feet. At 7:55 he makes another piss weak attempt at tackling Zorko and Zorko evades him with ease by brushing him aside. At 6:10 there was another piss weak effort where Ellis went to go the hip and shoulder and could’ve really lined a Brisbane player up but went half arsed and the Brisbane player retained the ball and generated an i50 which resulted in a shot on goal. At 2:22 he bangs the ball on his boot due to perceived pressure despite being 5 metres in clear space and turns it over. Zero awareness and composure. This was all in the third quarter where we ran rampant and he was still sh*tting himself. It must be disheartening playing with this bloke at times. I really hope he is dropped for someone who puts their body on the line. His running power is absolutely pointless when he just burns the ball or makes a pathetic contest. Some of his attempts at being physical were embarrassingly laughable. Benny Hill music couldn’t be more appropriate when watching Ellis’s third quarter highlights.

I watched the game with a group of 15 odd people on Saturday night and the neutral supporters were taking the piss out of Ellis all night and laughing at how bad/soft he was. I just rewatched the third quarter and even when we got on top there were moments that made me cringe. Berry ragdolled him at 10:21 in a one-on-one marking contest in our forward fifty. He outmuscled Ellis and threw him to the ground which allowed him to take a mark. At 9:03 there was a weak attempted tackle by Ellis where Lyons literally shrugged him off while Ellis couldn’t even hold his feet. At 7:55 he makes another piss weak attempt at tackling Zorko and Zorko evades him with ease by brushing him aside. At 6:10 there was another piss weak effort where Ellis went to go the hip and shoulder and could’ve really lined a Brisbane player up but went half arsed and the Brisbane player retained the ball and generated an i50 which resulted in a shot on goal. At 2:22 he bangs the ball on his boot due to perceived pressure despite being 5 metres in clear space and turns it over. Zero awareness and composure. This was all in the third quarter where we ran rampant and he was still sh*tting himself. It must be disheartening playing with this bloke at times. I really hope he is dropped for someone who puts their body on the line. His running power is absolutely pointless when he just burns the ball or makes a pathetic contest. Some of his attempts at being physical were embarrassingly laughable. Benny Hill music couldn’t be more appropriate when watching Ellis’s third quarter highlights.
It wasnt just neutral supporters the lions players were laughing their guts out at him.

It wasnt just neutral supporters the lions players were laughing their guts out at him.
Yep. Saw that early doors and it really got to him. Robinson and Berry were tormenting him before and during the game. They have identified him as a weakness and an easy target. A more clinical team would’ve punished his mistakes. I have defended him throughout the season but he is a serious problem right now.

very interesting quotes from robbo tonight on 360 and they were coming straight from a finals coaches mouth regarding wingers and all australian stars and onballers. very interesting but no surprise to some.
Yes i did agree with them about wingers ..............

I remember posting on this board back when Mitch Robinson wanted to come to richmond and would have accepted a lesser deal to become a tiger but we had the choice that year between Taylor Hunt & Mitch Robinson.

I was on the Robbo train and was blasted here by just about all and was told how much better Hunt was and he had come from a good culture team and was a Tiger supporter growing up - But i just wanted a better footballer with some mongrel

Ohh you probably meant the part where they said the winger shouldnt be tempted to go inside , I do agree with that also but he shouldnt try to avoid his opponent either. I think they were just talking up Mitch

Yeah I'm in this camp. I did pump him up during the year when he deserved it, but with our water tight system we can carry a player. I'd rather risk carrying Pickett though at this point in time.
I'd run that risk. If he's fit I'd run the risk with Stack too. I just don't like Ellis under the pressure of a final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back