Retired # 5: Brent Stanton - Essendon VFL Head Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watch the video of him kicking 3 goals against the Pies in the last round on EssendonFC, and watch the difference these guys will make to our current young players. Players like Langford, Jackson Merrett, Daniher, McKenna and Fantasia all feature and they look so much better!

It makes perfect list management sense. It's very likely he will still be the best endurance athlete at the club next year. With interchange caps in place a guy like Stants who can just keep on chugging in red time will be invaluable.

We already have more than enough players to cut next year without needing to turf Stants too.

I reckon Stanton struggled at times in 2015 - His season was over-rated by supporters, and his true worth was reflected in him coming 6th in the B and F - Club only offered Stanton a one year contract for 2016 which indicates they had doubts - It's a possibility Stanton won't best 22 by the end of 2017.

I reckon Stanton struggled at times in 2015 - His season was over-rated by supporters, and his true worth was reflected in him coming 6th in the B and F - Club only offered Stanton a one year contract for 2016 which indicates they had doubts - It's a possibility Stanton won't best 22 by the end of 2017.
It was one year with a trigger for a second year, so obviously he wasn't *that* bad... he just wasn't *that* good either.

He averaged 26 touches and managed 6 brownlow votes in a year when the club totalled mid thirties and struggled to win games. Statistically it was his best year since 2012 where he led the brownlow medal count half way through the year.

Has toiled hard through all the bad years we have had and supporter flack. Extremely consistent averaging over 20 touches for the last 10 years straight and has kicked over 150 goals with his 248 games. Deserves to end his career on his terms and in the Essendon colours.
clearing Rd.2 for his 250th, wherever in australia it is

He averaged 26 touches and managed 6 brownlow votes in a year when the club totalled mid thirties and struggled to win games. Statistically it was his best year since 2012 where he led the brownlow medal count half way through the year.

People trashed his work rate, yet he was 1st at the club for inside 50's while still being 3rd for rebound 50's. You can't pull that off if you're not working the full length of the field. Most other statistical categories he ranges from 1st to 5th at the club. Stats aren't everything, but for an outside player they showed he definitely wasn't flagging like he should hang up the boots.

People trashed his work rate, yet he was 1st at the club for inside 50's while still being 3rd for rebound 50's. You can't pull that off if you're not working the full length of the field. Most other statistical categories he ranges from 1st to 5th at the club. Stats aren't everything, but for an outside player they showed he definitely wasn't flagging like he should hang up the boots.
Yep. And 6th in the B&F is not to be sneezed at especially if you note that he ended up with 314 votes and 6th, Baguley was 5th on 318, Goddard 4th on 322, Zack Merret 3rd on 330.

Really nice to hear from one of the guys and what it's been like for them this year.

Cant wipe the smile off my face after hearing that. So happy he's back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Statistically his performance may have seen good, but he came 6th in the B and F, and was offered a one year contract for 2016 - My eyes saw signs that Stanton was struggling in 2015 - Had a number of shocking games and there was a bigger gulf between his good games and poor games.

Statistically his performance may have seen good, but he came 6th in the B and F, and was offered a one year contract for 2016 - My eyes saw signs that Stanton was struggling in 2015 - Had a number of shocking games and there was a bigger gulf between his good games and poor games.
You could have thrown a blanket over third through to 6th in the B&F that year Yaco. If we let him go, what would we end up with in return?

Could your impressions be attributed to factors like who we had on the list, the role he was asked to play and the expectation we had on a senior player?

I ask, as I was in exactly the same frame of mind as you. As a 200+ game player I was wanting him to tear game apart and win games off his own boot... which I felt he was struggling to do. Now he has announced that he is back, I'm not entirely sure of his best position in the side. But I am excited that opposing teams will have to cover Stants with maybe their 5th or 6th best stopper, rather that the 3rd he's copped for years.

In no order (IMO) - Parish, Watson, Zaharakis, Z Merrett, Heppell, Myers would had to be looked at being paired defensively by opposing coaches. Add a returning Stants to that list and it's a tough task to list a 1/3 of your squad as tagger/nullifying roles.

I think that he could be a real weapon in this situation for us.

Could your impressions be attributed to factors like who we had on the list, the role he was asked to play and the expectation we had on a senior player?

I ask, as I was in exactly the same frame of mind as you. As a 200+ game player I was wanting him to tear game apart and win games off his own boot... which I felt he was struggling to do. Now he has announced that he is back, I'm not entirely sure of his best position in the side. But I am excited that opposing teams will have to cover Stants with maybe their 5th or 6th best stopper, rather that the 3rd he's copped for years.

In no order (IMO) - Parish, Watson, Zaharakis, Z Merrett, Heppell, Myers would had to be looked at being paired defensively by opposing coaches. Add a returning Stants to that list and it's a tough task to list a 1/3 of your squad as tagger/nullifying roles.

I think that he could be a real weapon in this situation for us.

Agree with your post - We've been waiting years for Stanton to be the 4th or 5th best midfielder - Though my eyes tell me Stanton's form was lagging in 2015 - Next year will tell us more - Stanton will start off best 22 its then a matter of what happens for the remainder of the year.

I can't believe some of the s**t I'm reading.

EDIT: In reference to posts that seek to conjure reasons against the re-signing.

The discussion is whether Stanton will be best 22 at the end of 2017 - It's not about whether Stanton should have re-signed.

Agree with your post - We've been waiting years for Stanton to be the 4th or 5th best midfielder - Though my eyes tell me Stanton's form was lagging in 2015 - Next year will tell us more - Stanton will start off best 22 its then a matter of what happens for the remainder of the year.

You haven't factored in throughout 2015 Stanton may have been down at times due to the WADA appeal like many of his mates. It certainly got myself and other supporters down so it's only natural the players would be even more affected. With most of it over and done hopefully guys like Stanton can get back to enjoying playing footy and representing the great EFC with pride (and wins!)

You haven't factored in throughout 2015 Stanton may have been down at times due to the WADA appeal like many of his mates. It certainly got myself and other supporters down so it's only natural the players would be even more affected. With most of it over and done hopefully guys like Stanton can get back to enjoying playing footy and representing the great EFC with pride (and wins!)

Oh it's been factored in alright..no worries there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back