Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

Remove this Banner Ad

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can't wait to see this kid running around in the red and blue next year. I'm praying that he loses none of his power from this ACL. I'm still emotionally scarred from the Ox's knee injuries.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
He could be another Goddard, Walker or Gray (who I'd forgot had even done one until ng mentioned him) but he could also be another Patton, Clay Smith, Menzel or Morabito. Does anyone know how he did it and if there's any link to any of these past ACLs?

Anyway, this is great news. There were internet rumours circulating that Petracca as a bad egg of sorts (disloyal? failed a psych test?) when St.Kilda decided to pass, but I've seen and heard nothing but good things from him since he came to the club.

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
He could be another Goddard, Walker or Gray (who I'd forgot had even done one until ng mentioned him) but he could also be another Patton, Clay Smith, Menzel or Morabito. Does anyone know how he did it and if there's any link to any of these past ACLs?

Anyway, this is great news. There were internet rumours circulating that Petracca as a bad egg of sorts (disloyal? failed a psych test?) when St.Kilda decided to pass, but I've seen and heard nothing but good things from him since he came to the club.
Probably started by Saints fans once they decided to pick McCartin. Up until then the hype surrounding Petracca by them was massive.
I believe the main reason they changed there minds was the cost of Boyd to the Bulldogs. Better to get a KPF cheap than pay massive overs to lure someone down the track.

Theo X

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
East Wedderburn Trugo Club
Probably started by Saints fans once they decided to pick McCartin. Up until then the hype surrounding Petracca by them was massive.
I believe the main reason they changed there minds was the cost of Boyd to the Bulldogs. Better to get a KPF cheap than pay massive overs to lure someone down the track.
Yes Richardson said as much in the lead up to the draft, saying it was too expensive to poach KPF's, citing the Boyd example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fairly certain that his injury is on the lower end of the ACL scale.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was. He's named out for the season but I'm pretty sure he can be back playing towards the end of the season but they are just taking extra precautions. Big preseason and he comes out smashing it next year.

You know how sometimes you fail a job interview at one workplace and smash a job interview at another workplace?
It's more like that.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Ive been trying to ignore the fact this kid even exists due to our past of developing top draft picks...
However with the form Hogan, Salem and Bray have shown this year you cant help but start to get excited
Especially considering we could have gone without Bray if we had the first 2 picks... The majority of the football world rated this bloke higher... Thats scary good

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ive been trying to ignore the fact this kid even exists due to our past of developing top draft picks...
However with the form Hogan, Salem and Bray have shown this year you cant help but start to get excited
Especially considering we could have gone without Bray if we had the first 2 picks... The majority of the football world rated this bloke higher... Thats scary good

Just think, if he hadn't done his knee, we'd probably be in the top 4 right now.

Petracca won't even need to play midfield next year. It'll be Jones, Vince, Viney, Tyson, Brayshaw, and Toumpas running through there, Watts as a mid/forward utility, and Hogan, Pedersen/Dawes, Gawn, and Petracca forward. Petracca as our third or fourth forward target. Unbelievable. Will come on just as well as Hogan IMO. Maybe won't take so many contested marks around the ground but has the strength to dominate up forward and kick goals and go into the midfield if we need added stoppage power. Will be a better forward pressure player that the talls as well. Unlike with previous high picks, we're not hoping for individual success stories. There's an actual team forming which supports itself through contested ball, tackling, and endeavour.

Giants? You mean Saints?
We're all so used to them getting the #1 pick.
Yeah i meant the saints. Definitely to used to it. Should be strange this year at the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back