Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

Mahoney was a dope but I can’t agree with those who pot Viney’s deal. Stretched out over five years and taking into account inflation yes it’s overs but not alarmingly so.

Dumping a heart and soul Demon (who sets the tone for the side’s midfield aggression and intensity) in order to save $100k a year wouldn’t have been a smart move.

Nobody was "dumping him" ....there was an offer on the table.

If he still contributing greatly to our success in the fifth and fourth of the deal I'll be somewhat stunned.

I have repeatedly said that Collingwood won’t be the only club throwing a fat contract at Tracc. Try Geelong, Hawthorn, Carlton as well for starters. That said, he did support the Filth growing up and like it or not they are a massive club who unlike us have played finals and grand finals with regularity over the past twenty years.

We’re talking about potentially the best player in the comp coming out of contract in 2022. He’d better sign on for 3+ more seasons with us this year because we all know what it means when contract talks are put off with a year to run.
Everything a player comes out of contract he is linked to the club he supported as a kid

Less than 1% of the time they sign for that club

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

So what was that weird eyed ******* sooking bout? He still gets all his money and he already f’ed over one club. fu** Treloar
Who did he * over

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Who did he fu** over
Remember when he up and left GWS?
How comes he's allowed to just leave a club but a club can't decide they wanna move him on?
It's a business, Collingwood needed to shed salary cap space it's not like they were retiring him.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm not too worried about losing anyone of importance at the moment. Jackson and Rivers don't strike me as the type of player that get home sick. Petracca seems pretty happy there will be big offers that's what it takes to get a player out but generally players stay. Didn't we throw a lot of cash at Elliott and he still stayed. Oliver is probably the one I'm most worried if I am at all but it's not based on anything. I was worried a few years ago Watts was gone but he resigned and was confident Sylvia would stay and he left. The best thing we can do is just keep on winning.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I'm not too worried about losing anyone of importance at the moment. Jackson and Rivers don't strike me as the type of player that get home sick. Petracca seems pretty happy there will be big offers that's what it takes to get a player out but generally players stay. Didn't we throw a lot of cash at Elliott and he still stayed. Oliver is probably the one I'm most worried if I am at all but it's not based on anything. I was worried a few years ago Watts was gone but he resigned and was confident Sylvia would stay and he left. The best thing we can do is just keep on winning.
Sylvia left because Freo offered him stupid money and we told him take the * out of it

The three amigos are actually all best mates, check their insta and stuff, serious man love going on there. Rivers and Jackson played junior footy together their whole lives, can't see them leaving. Pretty smart drafting to pick up Rivers to make sure Jackson was happy.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

As a childhood Magpies fan, Pendlebury was Petracca’s idol, and the pair spoke throughout the 2020 pre-season before the Demon’s breakout year.

“There’s a bond, but I’ve also done some work with Travis Boak, it doesn’t mean I’m going to Port Adelaide. He’s just someone I’ve really looked up to growing up,” Petracca said.

Asked whether he wants to be at Melbourne beyond his current contract, he replied: “Yeah, I do. I love the club.”

He later added: “Being a one-club player is pretty special.”

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
These players are never going to be overly committal due to them being told by managers to extract every dollar they can, and rightly so.
Nor should they, and their words means dick all anyway but considering he's responded with a yes I'll stay within a couple days of the rumour starting I'd say that's the plan

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nor should they, and their words means dick all anyway but considering he's responded with a yes I'll stay within a couple days of the rumour starting I'd say that's the plan

Don't disagree, 3-0 start helps as I'd imagine he probably would consider looking elsewhere alongside Oliver if we completely fall in a heap this year (Still possible).

Don't disagree, 3-0 start helps as I'd imagine he probably would consider looking elsewhere alongside Oliver if we completely fall in a heap this year (Still possible).
At the end of the day they're the blokes who will take this club forward.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Personally I'm just so happy that instead of waiting until our better players are out of contract to start the rumour mill, it's now 18 months out.

When it was Scully, Hogan, Frawley etc it was only the year of being out of contract.

Petracca won't leave, nor will Oliver.

Take that to the bank.

These players are never going to be overly committal due to them being told by managers to extract every dollar they can, and rightly so.
And aren't they about to start negotiating a new CBA?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
GatesOfHell case closed if you believe everything in the media right nuff head?

Firstly, no need for the personal vitriol. It’s a discussion. Learn to engage with others sans the bogan patois.

Tracc certainly made all the right noises there in relation to the questioning from Robbo, which was heartening. However I did notice that he placed emphasis on winning games of footy as a key component of where he chooses to ply his trade. And rightly so.

Win more than we lose, figure in September action and I too am confident he’ll stay.

He’s ours to lose from here.

Back