Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I'm noticing a lot of media etc placing Trac high up in Brownlow/Best players of 2021 so far. Now don't get me wrong, he's been solid, but anyone else surprised by this? I don't think he's been as dominant as he looked last year. Again, he's been very very good, but I'm just expecting a little more from him. Am i being too harsh??

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
I'm noticing a lot of media etc placing Trac high up in Brownlow/Best players of 2021 so far. Now don't get me wrong, he's been solid, but anyone else surprised by this? I don't think he's been as dominant as he looked last year. Again, he's been very very good, but I'm just expecting a little more from him. Am i being too harsh??
Started the year strongly, slowed a bit but that is still a high high level.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah I agree, he was better last year. Don't think he's in the top 5 on output this year
Reflection of the team really, Trac can have a quiet quarter. He doesn't need to go forward and be the man cause everyone else sucks.

I’ve preferred Petracca’s season this year compared to last personally. I thought last year he was a bit overhyped. This year I think he’s been much more consistent compared to last year, he’s having an impact spread across all game while last year I thought it was either a big game or a game with no so much impact.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Article somewhere where they said one of the things they got trac to work on wa Shia two way running and tackling, not the sexy play where he can cheat forward all the time.0

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Reckon he is having a better year based on defensive running and not getting in the way of team mates.

With Viney out he has been pretty inside and has copped a lot of tackles.

Playing more consistently this year but not having as many of the massive games

Plus tbf he is reaching Dusty levels of hype where he plays a solid game and the media wank over him and over praise his output

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Playing more consistently this year but not having as many of the massive games

Plus tbf he is reaching Dusty levels of hype where he plays a solid game and the media wank over him and over praise his output
Yeah I agree, he hasn't really destroyed any game but the media are fawning over him. I'm not even sure he's AA level tbh but the media would have you believe he's having all time season.

Yeah I agree, he hasn't really destroyed any game but the media are fawning over him. I'm not even sure he's AA level tbh but the media would have you believe he's having all time season.
It feels weird having one of the media darlings playing for us

He averages 29 touches, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 6 clearances, 8 inside 50s, 8 score involvements and a goal a game. He ranks in the top 10 for just about every single key midfield stat, which no other player does. He's having an amazing season. Definitely a more complete player than he was last year.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
His defensive workrate, 2nd/3rd efforts and pressure has gone up a notch.

His bad games are still very good games this year, although I feel like he's about to explode and have a run of BOGs soon.

Would like to see him isolated one out inside 50 versus Brissy as I'm not sure they have a great matchup for him

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Trac has reached an incredibly high level of capability, some of the ball handling and breaking out of contested situations he and Oliver are displaying now is just freakish and I can really only think of Bont and Martin who consistently do similar things.

If you judge his last 4-5 weeks on what he's now capable of, he's been just ok. Think I've barely given him a vote in that period.

It's all relative though, if James Jordon had played the games Trac has over the last 4 weeks he'd be $1.0000001 for the rising star.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
His defensive workrate, 2nd/3rd efforts and pressure has gone up a notch.

His bad games are still very good games this year, although I feel like he's about to explode and have a run of BOGs soon.

Would like to see him isolated one out inside 50 versus Brissy as I'm not sure they have a great matchup for him
You're probably right. His defensive game has probably improved. With Oliver and Salem stepping up this season it's meant less pressure on him to go big. Probably spending less time forward due to the team defensive gameplan too. He's certainly playing well, just don't think he's Top 2 or 3 like some media have him right now. Been super consistent though and contributing. Hopefully when Viney comes back we will see him move forward a little more and hit the scoreboard a bit more.

Arguably his most complete game of footy. Shot off a few 'the Bull looks on texts' tonight a few minutes into the game, just came ready to play. Stark contrast from the Adelaide game, and a bit of a down period post ANZAC Eve.

Back