Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

Remove this Banner Ad

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Won't deter many clubs I imagine. If they're genuinely keen they'll find the cash and trade currency. As schmuttt said it'd be silly to think there aren't clubs hitting up his manager about it, I'd hope we're also on the phone to Merrett's manager, etc. If you don't ask you won't know if you're a chance.
They can ask, but he's gonna get paid plenty at Melbourne.
This isn't Jared Polec making 3x what he's worth. Trac will get 700+, just dont see other clubs being able to temp him with a decent but not staggering pay rise

Would not be surprised if his "source" is the Rumour Thread on BF.

Mate he effectively admitted he didn't have a source, just who he thought they should go after. Pretty telling no one else has gone with this today.

Lol I made that up to sh*t stir the blue board. Worked brilliantly. Now a 16 page thread full of Carlton angst.
Your record speaks for itself.

I'd be far more worried about losing Jackson and Rivers back to WA than I'd be about Trac or Oliver.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
So why would he go to a team on the decline that has just shown their administration is dysfunctional and the contracts they give players means jack sh*t?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I have repeatedly said that Collingwood won’t be the only club throwing a fat contract at Tracc. Try Geelong, Hawthorn, Carlton as well for starters. That said, he did support the Filth growing up and like it or not they are a massive club who unlike us have played finals and grand finals with regularity over the past twenty years.

We’re talking about potentially the best player in the comp coming out of contract in 2022. He’d better sign on for 3+ more seasons with us this year because we all know what it means when contract talks are put off with a year to run.

Devastating Boris is any of this true?

Pies nearly lost Grundy to crows. The pies board had to intervene and and told bucks, Eddie and Guy to sign Grundy at all costs. Guy delivered a presentation in which they would have to cut $2M in 2020 and at least $1M in 2021. They’re cap is in tatters and if they go after Trac it will destroy their cap for the next 5 years. They are still paying $150k/year to Treloar FFS. Trac’d be looking at at least $6-7M for 5 years to leave. Don’t listen to Tony ******* Shaw.

A lot of people predicted this unicorn chasing noise would come (some even heard it last year) to try and keep fans happy after last years debacle.

I really believe Oliver will be signed as the highest paid demon, until Trac re-signs. Last i heard, Oliver’s deal is all but done, pending some finer deals surrounding bonuses and the Dees making strides towards finals. He really wants to play finals and that’s still slowing it all down.

Gawn and Lever are on hugely reduced contracts, May’s cash is all but gone (I think you’ll see him extend by to 2025 on far less cash soon), Viney went and got his $700k/ year (which isn’t much) and TMc’s deal is out this year. Our cap is in reasonably good shape.

Pies nearly lost Grundy to crows. The pies board had to intervene and and told bucks, Eddie and Guy to sign Grundy at all costs. Guy delivered a presentation in which they would have to cut $2M in 2020 and at least $1M in 2021. They’re cap is in tatters and if they go after Trac it will destroy their cap for the next 5 years. They are still paying $150k/year to Treloar FFS. Trac’d be looking at at least $6-7M for 5 years to leave. Don’t listen to Tony ******* Shaw.

A lot of people predicted this unicorn chasing noise would come (some even heard it last year) to try and keep fans happy after last years debacle.

I really believe Oliver will be signed as the highest paid demon, until Trac re-signs. Last i heard, Oliver’s deal is all but done, pending some finer deals surrounding bonuses and the Dees making strides towards finals. He really wants to play finals and that’s still slowing it all down.

Gawn and Lever are on hugely reduced contracts, May’s cash is all but gone (I think you’ll see him extend by to 2025 on far less cash soon), Viney went and got his $700k/ year (which isn’t much) and TMc’s deal is out this year. Our cap is in reasonably good shape.
Thank goodness McDonald's mega deal is done this year. Surely he re-signs on bottom dollar next year, or is let go? Nobody wanted him this year.

Aren’t they paying at Treloar $300k per year

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
We will need to pay Tracc 900k/season if he maintains current form. Viney’s $700k will be used as a benchmark by his manager and rightly so. Love what Jack brings to the table but Christian is in another class.

Cashed up clubs will definitely throw $1m+ at Tracc maybe more.

Thank goodness McDonald's mega deal is done this year. Surely he re-signs on bottom dollar next year, or is let go? Nobody wanted him this year.

I would think so. Small chance he trades out this year without the $ figure on him but I doubt it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will need to pay Tracc 900k/season if he maintains current form. Viney’s $700k will be used as a benchmark by his manager and rightly so. Love what Jack brings to the table but Christian is in another class.

Cashed up clubs will definitely throw $1m+ at Tracc maybe more.

Agreed. Viney’s was a little different as the club asked him to take a hit as captain and then stripped him.

I think Trac will be on $1M post covid deficits etc clear out. $1M/ year is become more common these days.

Not that I know much about pay scales but $700k seems like a lot for Viney in along term deal. Can only assume we weren’t going to get first round compensation for him if we were willing to stump up.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not that I know much about pay scales but $700k seems like a lot for Viney in along term deal. Can only assume we weren’t going to get first round compensation for him if we were willing to stump up.
Crazy because if he's on that, him plus May and Lever are gonna be close to 2 million, make it another 2.5 for Trac Oliver and Gawn and that's half a salary cap on our best. We ain't trading for anyone with those contracts for a while now.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
So what was that weird eyed ******* sooking bout? He still gets all his money and he already f’ed over one club. fu** Treloar
Because the club that he wanted to play at didn't want him anymore.

It's some stunning irony given he lead GWS on a bit, and obviously was less than honest with Richmond as well.

I love the way Jack plays but said at the time that re-signing him was *ed (especially for as long term deal as we did) and nothing has changed.

Panic move by Mahoney. Glad he's gone.

This all started by shaw saying they 'should' target trac. Since then it's been spun by the news, and worried/interested supporters of both clubs take it as factthey are targetting him. It's amazing that a little thing i saw shaw say on fb on whatever radio he works on, got picked up by the HS and foxfooty pages and the worry has spread like wild fire, and the real fear comes from people realsing he barracked for the pies as a kid. Means nothing, we of all people know that and the pies know that too, ya think at any point pendles at any point looked to ditch the pies and come play for us? Not saying it doesn't happen, Howe is a fine example, same with higgens and beamer.

But this opinion has been passed off as fact to drum up trade interest is stupid

I wished i worked in the media so i could say s**t like, we should target nic nat, have it passed of by other sources saying we are targetting him and then make people worry cause he liked us as a kid. But then again it also wouldn't get as much interest because we're not ******* big like collingwood.

I lost the plot what i was trying to say, i guess i just find it funny this spun so far off from what was originally said that people have turned it into a rumour. Don't forget trac was a 'bad egg' and was meant to have left before now

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Brownless mumbled something about it on the Sunday footy show but when questioned had nothing . Talk about a look over there rumour . I forgot about the Viney deal too . Still doesn’t make sense for 5 years but oh well .

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
I love the way Jack plays but said at the time that re-signing him was ******ed (especially for as long term deal as we did) and nothing has changed.

Panic move by Mahoney. Glad he's gone.

Mahoney was a dope but I can’t agree with those who pot Viney’s deal. Stretched out over five years and taking into account inflation yes it’s overs but not alarmingly so.

Dumping a heart and soul Demon (who sets the tone for the side’s midfield aggression and intensity) in order to save $100k a year wouldn’t have been a smart move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back