Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Watching some of the highlights he shows glimpses but we don’t see enough consistency. That intercept in the first to set up Gus, in the last his ground ball get in the 50 and then vision/skill to hit melks. And that mad scramble in the last 10 seconds was huge

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Would try for a late second rounder Imo
Not if we use him for a sweetener with a draft pick. We need an elite midfielder. Seriously. We aren’t winning anymore finals with our midfield the way it disposes of the ball. We are awful.

Brayshaw - poor
Viney - poor
Oliver - ok
Harmes - good
Melksham - good (plays forward predominantly)
Jones - ok
Hunt - poor
Stretch - ok
ANB - ok

We need elite usage. Unless Fritsch and Salem are going to step up to midfield positions we aren’t getting any cleaner. Unless we offload something of value with upside then we aren’t turning into a really good side.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Watching some of the highlights he shows glimpses but we don’t see enough consistency. That intercept in the first to set up Gus, in the last his ground ball get in the 50 and then vision/skill to hit melks. And that mad scramble in the last 10 seconds was huge
It’s his fifth season and he is underwhelming. He isn’t fit enough to play midfield and his work rate up forward is pretty mediocre. He is also terribly slow.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
And if he didn't bulldose his way through that play there is a good chance we lose
No mate, we’d have lost because someone like him who had 11 touches and missed a set shot doesn’t do enough. He is a fifth season player and he is VFL standard. Not to mention Lewis doing little (again), Garlett missing two and being awfully indecisive, Gawn turning it over, and Clayton Oliver fluffing a gimme set shot.

That effort from Petracca should be something we see from him in every contest. It isn’t. He is lazy and simply does not warrant a place on our list next year if it means offloading him in a package to get a gun midfielder with elite disposal.

No mate, we’d have lost because someone like him who had 11 touches and missed a set shot doesn’t do enough. He is a fifth season player and he is VFL standard. Not to mention Lewis doing little (again), Garlett missing two and being awfully indecisive, Gawn turning it over, and Clayton Oliver fluffing a gimme set shot.

That effort from Petracca should be something we see from him in every contest. It isn’t. He is lazy and simply does not warrant a place on our list next year if it means offloading him in a package to get a gun midfielder with elite disposal.
VFL standard lol. You lose all credibility with that s**t. You are effectively saying he is not up to AFL standard and should be delisted, but then you are contradicting yourself by saying he should be traded for an ELITE midfielder. How many clubs would trade an ELITE midfielder for a VFL plodder???

Has he under performed? possibly.
Has he been over hyped? undoubtedly
Is he not AFL standard? No ******* chance

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
VFL standard lol. You lose all credibility with that ****. You are effectively saying he is not up to AFL standard and should be delisted, but then you are contradicting yourself by saying he should be traded for an ELITE midfielder. How many clubs would trade an ELITE midfielder for a VFL plodder???

His form is VFL standard. Maybe I didn’t make that clear. I also didn’t say he should be traded for an elite midfielder. I said he should be part of the package to get one. That was pretty ******* obvious if you’d read what I said.

The point is he is a liability on our list for his time in the game.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
VFL standard lol. You lose all credibility with that ****. You are effectively saying he is not up to AFL standard and should be delisted, but then you are contradicting yourself by saying he should be traded for an ELITE midfielder. How many clubs would trade an ELITE midfielder for a VFL plodder???

He also does nothing to arrest his form, hence why it makes him look like he wouldn’t be out of place in the VFL. I am not saying he is s**t, I am saying he is bone lazy and wasting his ability.

His form is VFL standard. Maybe I didn’t make that clear. I also didn’t say he should be traded for an elite midfielder. I said he should be part of the package to get one. That was pretty ******* obvious if you’d read what I said.

The point is he is a liability on our list for his time in the game.
There are 35 players on our list whose form have been s**t and are currently a liability.

Yet you pick out the only one who has realistic game breaking ability

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
There are 35 players on our list whose form have been **** and are currently a liability.

Yet you pick out the only one who has realistic game breaking ability
I am picking one who might be appealing to another club with a draft pick for a midfielder that wants out and who could receive good money.

Is Petracca a rubbish footballer? No. Might another team get the best out of him? Maybe they would. But all I know is we aren’t getting anywhere near the 8 with the midfield we have. Not when our opposition has worked us out.

If we could combine Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw and Harmes with a seriously good outside player, we’d be back in contention, and right now I can’t see Jeff Garlett being accepted as a trade, but I could see Petracca.

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I am picking one who might be appealing to another club with a draft pick for a midfielder that wants out and who could receive good money.

Is Petracca a rubbish footballer? No. Might another team get the best out of him? Maybe they would. But all I know is we aren’t getting anywhere near the 8 with the midfield we have. Not when our opposition has worked us out.

If we could combine Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw and Harmes with a seriously good outside player, we’d be back in contention, and right now I can’t see Jeff Garlett being accepted as a trade, but I could see Petracca.
Trac isn’t going to be traded. We aren’t in the premiership window but we will be about the time he turns 26. It would be disastrous to trade him out before then, he still could be anything. It would set the club back decades if we trade him out and he reaches his potential at another club. He just has to get his head right.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Trac isn’t going to be traded. We aren’t in the premiership window but we will be about the time he turns 26. It would be disastrous to trade him out before then, he still could be anything. It would set the club back decades if we trade him out and he reaches his potential at another club. He just has to get his head right.
Maybe, but we aren’t getting set back decades if we trade him. What else could he be? 5th year player and this is what he is offering. Why can’t he play midfield yet? Seriously? Lost patience with him.

Last edited:
I feel for the bloke. Has obviously had all his footballing instinct coached out of him. Goodwin is trying to turn him into a structured forward when he's naturally an impact player. What happened to the confident, rooster strutting, big grinning kid which promised so much? I don't know if you can ever get that back once it's gone.

On Mi A2 Lite using BigFooty.com mobile app

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So some pretty obvious flaws in Petraccas kicking technique.

First your foot will always chase the bottom of the ball, it's facing towards his left which means when he chases it that's where the ball goes. Hold the damn thing straight to start

20190504_065952.jpg

Then look at the height of the bloody ball drop, the higher up you drop it, the more any angle you started with gets accentuated. The circle is a much better area to begin. Tony Lockett used to basically still be holding it when he kicked it.

20190504_070053.jpg

Finally look at where the ball is pointing as it's about to hit his foot, no s**t he missed. He's also leaning back on his kick wayyyy too far.

20190504_070125.jpg

I know often they'll just say kick how you are comfortable but that whole technique has issues and he should be working with a goal kicking coach

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Without looking at the stat sheet I thought he was impressive whenever the ball was in his area, very aggressive and contested well, although everyone in the G would have known he was going to fluff that set shot

He attacked the footy pretty bloody well and did some clever things, he doesn't need to get 25 touches every game to influence the outcome, people pay way too much attention to stats

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
So some pretty obvious flaws in Petraccas kicking technique.

First your foot will always chase the bottom of the ball, it's facing towards his left which means when he chases it that's where the ball goes. Hold the damn thing straight to start

View attachment 667587

Then look at the height of the bloody ball drop, the higher up you drop it, the more any angle you started with gets accentuated. The circle is a much better area to begin. Tony Lockett used to basically still be holding it when he kicked it.

View attachment 667588

Finally look at where the ball is pointing as it's about to hit his foot, no **** he missed. He's also leaning back on his kick wayyyy too far.

View attachment 667589

I know often they'll just say kick how you are comfortable but that whole technique has issues and he should be working with a goal kicking coach
* mate did you have to use red? That’s a jumper clash..... * me

Back