Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
So some pretty obvious flaws in Petraccas kicking technique.

First your foot will always chase the bottom of the ball, it's facing towards his left which means when he chases it that's where the ball goes. Hold the damn thing straight to start

View attachment 667587

Then look at the height of the bloody ball drop, the higher up you drop it, the more any angle you started with gets accentuated. The circle is a much better area to begin. Tony Lockett used to basically still be holding it when he kicked it.

View attachment 667588

Finally look at where the ball is pointing as it's about to hit his foot, no **** he missed. He's also leaning back on his kick wayyyy too far.

View attachment 667589

I know often they'll just say kick how you are comfortable but that whole technique has issues and he should be working with a goal kicking coach
All very good points.

So some pretty obvious flaws in Petraccas kicking technique.

First your foot will always chase the bottom of the ball, it's facing towards his left which means when he chases it that's where the ball goes. Hold the damn thing straight to start

View attachment 667587

Then look at the height of the bloody ball drop, the higher up you drop it, the more any angle you started with gets accentuated. The circle is a much better area to begin. Tony Lockett used to basically still be holding it when he kicked it.

View attachment 667588

Finally look at where the ball is pointing as it's about to hit his foot, no **** he missed. He's also leaning back on his kick wayyyy too far.

View attachment 667589

I know often they'll just say kick how you are comfortable but that whole technique has issues and he should be working with a goal kicking coach
Your nous is wasted in Canada.

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Maybe, but we aren’t getting set back decades if we trade him. What else could he be? 5th year player and this is what he is offering. Why can’t he play midfield yet? Seriously? Lost patience with him.
You’re forgetting he missed his whole first season with a knee reconstruction. He debuted about round 5 2016, so he’s been playing afl just over 3 seasons, which is a fair way off 5 years. You might have lost patience with him, but you haven’t given him a lot of time to prove himself. In a way I can understand your frustration because he has obvious game breaking ability, but we don’t see it very often. Sydney game this year gave an indication of what he’s capable of, and I reckon that’s just scratching the surface. I concede that he doesn’t play as well as he needs to for the team often enough yet, but I reckon he’ll get there and when he does he’ll be a hell of a player. Definitely not a player you put up for trade.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You’re forgetting he missed his whole first season with a knee reconstruction. He debuted about round 5 2016, so he’s been playing afl just over 3 seasons, which is a fair way off 5 years. You might have lost patience with him, but you haven’t given him a lot of time to prove himself. In a way I can understand your frustration because he has obvious game breaking ability, but we don’t see it very often. Sydney game this year gave an indication of what he’s capable of, and I reckon that’s just scratching the surface. I concede that he doesn’t play as well as he needs to for the team often enough yet, but I reckon he’ll get there and when he does he’ll be a hell of a player. Definitely not a player you put up for trade.

Its the Sylvia/Watts dilemma.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Trac will give himself the best chance of being his best, I don’t think col ever really pushed himself to his limits training wise and got by on pure footballing ability. Col seemed more of a natural footballer than trac

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
Indont think he will hit the heights of Sylvia who was unbelievable on his day. But I get it.

Honestly it never would have really surprised me if Sylvia had 45 touches and kicked 6 goals in a game.

Most likely against Richmond from memory.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Honestly it never would have really surprised me if Sylvia had 45 touches and kicked 6 goals in a game.

Most likely against Richmond from memory.

Yeah, against bad teams he could chalk up 30 touches and 3 or 4 goals for fun. Rat s**t against anyone decent, usually, but always cheerful after a loss.

You can't ******* move the guy when he's over the ball, he seems to understand what's going when he's got the ball, why the **** isn't he amazing. :(
He is like a young Dangerfield.

******* strong as *, talented and dangerous but isn't a smart footballer. Dangers problem early was he could only win contested ball, when he got taught how to win outside ball and fully utilize his ability he went balistit. I think Petracca is very similar, he just needs to be taught the same way.

Watching the replay, apart from the horrendous effort of that set shot, I thought Trac was bloody good yesterday.. Didn’t get a heap of it but had a serious presence and did a stack of hard work that led to scores even if he didn’t get a possession..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Watching the replay, apart from the horrendous effort of that set shot, I thought Trac was bloody good yesterday.. Didn’t get a heap of it but had a serious presence and did a stack of hard work that led to scores even if he didn’t get a possession..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dunno about 'bloody good' he did what he should be doing at a minimum every week but now the expectations are so low a decent game is praised. He's just as likely to do nothing for 2 weeks now

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I know he has his detractors on here and some are quick to jump on him when he has a bad game but he has built some form the last 8 weeks;

Round 8 - 22 and 1.2
Round 9 - 17 and 2.2
Round 10 - 19 and 1.1
Round 11 - 18 and 1.0
Round 12 - 23 and 1.1
Round 13 - bye
Round 14 - 22 and 1.0
Round 15 - 22 and 2.1
Round 16 - 18 and 3.1

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
I know he has his detractors on here and some are quick to jump on him when he has a bad game but he has built some form the last 8 weeks;

Round 8 - 22 and 1.2
Round 9 - 17 and 2.2
Round 10 - 19 and 1.1
Round 11 - 18 and 1.0
Round 12 - 23 and 1.1
Round 13 - bye
Round 14 - 22 and 1.0
Round 15 - 22 and 2.1
Round 16 - 18 and 3.1

Seens to be working harder and getting on better positions to kick goals, i just wish he could learn to kick straight from set shots.

Really like what he is starting to produce, starting to get through packs and does some pretty incredible things, let's hope this is the turning point.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Players like Petracca don't get there. They are pushed, prodded, disciplined, and harassed, so they can get there. 'Lazy players' don't just get there under their own steam.
They need a boiler put beneath them. Providing the steam and impetus for them to fire up.

....................................................................................................

He's become lazy and untidy with his skills, because he has been allowed to get away with sub standard efforts in getting his games. He has been allowed too much patience, instead of regular games at Casey, to fire up his efforts.

He has been long overdue, this public backlash on his efforts, and his poor skills execution.
Now he is starting to fight back, against the negative talk about him since late last year,. And he is now starting to respond a little better. Finally.

Hopefully this will put him in good stead, looking into 2020.

Last edited:

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I loved the goal when tucked up on the boundary line against Liam jones and he just took him on.

Just needs to nail the set shots inside 30m and he will be kicking 3-4 goals not 1-2 per game

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
I loved the goal when tucked up on the boundary line against Liam jones and he just took him on.

Just needs to nail the set shots inside 30m and he will be kicking 3-4 goals not 1-2 per game
He needs to get fit. Real fit, before what your talking about happens, regularly. Before he becomers a Star.

missed a big chunk of the pre season. No wonder he got off to a slow start

Another player most wanted gone after a quiet period. Egg on faces again

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Back